Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Wisco? I think they were mentioned at one time. (sorry, already mentioned above)
    I saw Coach Muckalt showing a kid the weight room when I was on a treadmill today (about -5 outside). Tough looking kid, not much taller than Billy if at all.... lots of hair. That's the extent of my scouting report.
    Check your email
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Did anyone else notice the changes to the NCAA recruiting rules that go into effect I assume immediately.

Unlimited contact with recruits after the sophomore year and more than two coaches can be on the road recruiting at once. I wonder how this will affect things.? Does it mean unlimited phone calls too?
      Winning will affect recruiting more than anything. That and a proven track record of moving guys on, which Mel does have. Sounds like he has a couple of good ones coming down the pipe with Jackson and Birks. Good to see them beefing up the non conference schedule. Playing the big boys helps with recruiting too I believe. I'm curious to know how the forum would grade the current recruits that Mel has brought in so far? Khaira doesn't count because he was recruited and verbally committed under the Russell regime.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        There is a good chance there will be 2 new recruits to talk about before Tech heads to Omaha, including a goalie.

I believe NC schedule is Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota-Duluth. Not sure on the 4th, maybe Notre Dame?
        It was mentioned several months back, long before Michigan and Michigan State became a serious discussion, that Tech and Notre Dame had verbally agreed to exchange series at some point in the near future. I think Mel and Jeff Jackson know each other fairly well, especially going back to the period from 88-96 when they likely competed for some of the same recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
          I'm curious to know how the forum would grade the current recruits that Mel has brought in so far? Khaira doesn't count because he was recruited and verbally committed under the Russell regime.
          No idea on a grade, but generally he's done well. I'm surprised Petan was still uncommitted when he decided on Tech. He's been huge this year.

I do wonder if some of the freshmen wouldn't be playing as much if Mel had 4 classes of guys that fit his system. A guy like Eick. I also wonder about Jimmy Davis, hasn't played for quite awhile, I think he was the one guy that didn't get ice time at the GLI.

Also have to wonder where we'd be if Blake and Chad hadn't switched from NMU! That was huge and was done during the Russell regime.

Comment

I agree that it's hard to grade and that winning makes it easier.

Looking at the NHL stuff, Michigan has quite a few players coming in that were ranked. I think it's a slow process but I'm totally supportive of the coach and his staff. Little things after a while add up to a big thing. We had the new seats, then the new ice plant, now the new scoreboard, plus I'm thinking that the weight room and some of the other facilities will get upgrades too. It all adds up after a while.
            I'd really like to see more attendance and more seats on the east end and I'd like to see us with a capacity of a little over 5000 down the road. I think, given a winning team, we can fill the seats.I like the plans for the expansion that were put forward, and I like more suites, but I think we need more seats as well, and not just temporary ones.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I agree that it's hard to grade and that winning makes it easier.

Looking at the NHL stuff, Michigan has quite a few players coming in that were ranked. I think it's a slow process but I'm totally supportive of the coach and his staff. Little things after a while add up to a big thing. We had the new seats, then the new ice plant, now the new scoreboard, plus I'm thinking that the weight room and some of the other facilities will get upgrades too. It all adds up after a while.
              I'd really like to see more attendance and more seats on the east end and I'd like to see us with a capacity of a little over 5000 down the road. I think, given a winning team, we can fill the seats.I like the plans for the expansion that were put forward, and I like more suites, but I think we need more seats as well, and not just temporary ones.
              Let's have a few winning seasons in row before we talk expansion We're jumping the gun there a bit
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                I'm curious to know how the forum would grade the current recruits that Mel has brought in so far? Khaira doesn't count because he was recruited and verbally committed under the Russell regime.
                I'd give Mel a B so far for recruiting, mostly because I think he brought in Davis too early. I like Gould and Eick, and I think Copley will even out. Not sure if Petan was already in the pipeline pre-Mel. Mel's incoming classes look good on paper for the most part. I'd say he's done surprisingly well considering MTU's long residence in the basement. He's been able to attract a number of players here that clearly had other options.
                That said, I'm still not sure he's out-recruited the last years of the Russell administration. It's clear that Tech was on the upswing when Jamie left and Mel benefitted from it to some extent. Mel needs to produce a few guys who get more than 30 points a year. We haven't had guys like that since Chris Conner and Colin Murphy, who I believe were Sertich recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                  I'd give Mel a B so far for recruiting, mostly because I think he brought in Davis too early. I like Gould and Eick, and I think Copley will even out. Not sure if Petan was already in the pipeline pre-Mel. Mel's incoming classes look good on paper for the most part. I'd say he's done surprisingly well considering MTU's long residence in the basement. He's been able to attract a number of players here that clearly had other options.
                  That said, I'm still not sure he's out-recruited the last years of the Russell administration. It's clear that Tech was on the upswing when Jamie left and Mel benefitted from it to some extent. Mel needs to produce a few guys who get more than 30 points a year. We haven't had guys like that since Chris Conner and Colin Murphy, who I believe were Sertich recruits.
                  While I understand the Davis comment, I can't blame Pearson. With Labrecque decommitting and Fillion unavailable until after GLI, he needed another dman. I guess he could have found an overaged kid or something or waited until he found Sweeney but it was a numbers game.

Davis, Sweeney, Petan, Hyland, Eick, Copley, Phillips, Gould can all be considered his recruits and everyone committed to be joining Tech in the future would be his except Reid Sturos.

On paper any class can look good but the thing I'm most interested in seeing is growth. I want to see players that show flashes as freshmen and sophomores putting up 25+ points as juniors and seniors. Hopefully that can happen. I don't think Mel has had many players on paper that I've been confused by hearing about either visiting or actually committing.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The first domino has fallen. Michigan Tech gets a commitment from Demico Hannoun, considered as one of the top '95 forwards (along with Alex Gillies) in the BCHL, currently 32nd in scoring. Turns out he's Alex Petan's cousin. Sounds like a very talented guy.

Comment

Michigan Tech gets a commitment from Demico Hannoun...
                      Another name for Pearson to butcher!

Comment

They keep coming: Michigan Tech has picked up a commitment from Shane Hanna who currently plays for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks with another future Husky, Alex Gillies. He's currently the 2nd highest scoring blueliner in BCHL and currently 18 years old. Another good pickup on paper. He'll likely head to Houghton next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          They keep coming: Michigan Tech has picked up a commitment from Shane Hanna who currently plays for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks with another future Husky, Alex Gillies. He's currently the 2nd highest scoring blueliner in BCHL and currently 18 years old. Another good pickup on paper. He'll likely head to Houghton next season.
                          And Evan Anderson
                          Huskys all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
                            And Evan Anderson
                            correct, forgot him since he was traded from Penticton.

Comment

Tech now has 4 of the top 40 scorers in the BCHL committed:
                              Reid Sturos (16g 20a)
                              Shane Hanna (8g 27a)
                              Demico Hannoun (14g 18a)
                              Alex Gillies (14g 17a)

Had 3 of the top 20 last year with Petan, Khaira, and Gould.

Comment

sounds like a guy who can replace Seigo and run the PP.
                                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X