Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The event is a scrimmage at the Dee. Good idea, IMO.
    It was pretty fun to watch at the Armory in the fall, and the battle for ice time certainly hasn't settled down in the meantime. If anything it's more wide open than it was with Blake H. and A Pietila getting ice time recently. So they all should be skating hard.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Don't forget to send questions to dj@themix93.com for the Mel Pearson show, there haven't been many lately, Mel's pretty good about answering the questions

Comment

Did anyone else notice the changes to the NCAA recruiting rules that go into effect I assume immediately.

Unlimited contact with recruits after the sophomore year and more than two coaches can be on the road recruiting at once. I wonder how this will affect things.? Does it mean unlimited phone calls too?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Did anyone else notice the changes to the NCAA recruiting rules that go into effect I assume immediately.

Unlimited contact with recruits after the sophomore year and more than two coaches can be on the road recruiting at once. I wonder how this will affect things.? Does it mean unlimited phone calls too?
          It isn't unlimited after sophomore year, its unlimited for part of June & July between sophomore year and junior and then unlimited after Junior year.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
            Maybe you should show up for a Northern or Lake State or Minnesota game. You'll see what a full and raucous Mac crowd is like, especially as they continue to build on the bits and pieces of success Tech has been having. I'll take the Mac, tSBFiTW and the Misfits any day over the vast majority of 'sit on your hands' Michigan fans and their band that knows two songs repeatedly alternated.

Hell, the Berry Events Center sucks something fierce, but they have better atmosphere than Yost. I've been to both a handful of times.
            I've been to hundreds of games at the Mac, including Northern, Winter Carnival, Minnesota, etc. I grew up in the Copper Country and I used to work there when i went to Tech. doesn't compare to Yost IMO. but that's just me.

Nice to see them get 3 of 4 this weekend. just when you think they might be able to gain some momentum, another off weekend.
            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              We haven't had wooden seats for a few years now
              I remember wood armrests attached to metal sides with formed plywood backs and formed plywood seats that folded up. They were quite comfortable. My memory, however, could be wrong. That was back in the late 70s.
              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                I remember wood armrests attached to metal sides with formed plywood backs and formed plywood seats that folded up. They were quite comfortable. My memory, however, could be wrong. That was back in the late 70s.
                There's two of those in my apartment. They came in the great colors of orange, yellow, and green.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  There's two of those in my apartment. They came in the great colors of orange, yellow, and green.
                  JohnsonsJerseys earlier comment now makes sense. My first recollection was that they were orange but I was too embarrassed to write that. I'm glad my memory hasn't faded too much.

When did they replace the seats and what are the new ones like? I'm assuming they're wider due to the super-sizing of America...
                  "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                    JohnsonsJerseys earlier comment now makes sense. My first recollection was that they were orange but I was too embarrassed to write that. I'm glad my memory hasn't faded too much.

When did they replace the seats and what are the new ones like? I'm assuming they're wider due to the super-sizing of America...
                    They are black or "gold" and all a uniform size, the previous seats actually varied in size a couple inches depending on the road and location.
                    *****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/1/16/20100118043633!MacPanoramic.jpg******
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Good questions for Mel on UAH, recruiting, non-conference scheduling etc.

I'd think we'd be hearing about a goalie recruit sometime soon for next year. Do we know the 4 non-conference teams for 2013/14? UMD, Mich and ?

Mel Pearson show summary for 1-21:
                      Huge points, anytime you can get points in this league, big
                      Played well this weekend except 1 period, 1st period on Saturday
                      A lot of hockey left, still trying to reach some of our goals, want to improve in pratice, had really good practices last week
                      Turned up the intensity a bit in practice and they responded

On Friday:
                      Changed up lines seemed to work, Junior lines, JJ wasn't with Petan etc
                      That junior line played excellent Friday, but Gordic minor injury and couldn't play Saturday
                      Changes were good, sometime need that to spark a line/player
                      Got a break on 1st goal Saturday, goes to show, put the puck on net, great effort by D. Johstone
                      B. Pietila goal, had them outnumbered down low, big goal, Walsh had played well to only allow 1 goal to that point
                      Blake second of the night in 2nd period, we executed our 3x2 that we practice, great shot, up 3-0
                      Early 3rd period goal, Gould, good play, Gould has great hands, showed patience
                      What are you looking for from Gould? Good all around player, can contribute offensively, great hands/release, haven't seen enough of that, has to work on getting in position. Will improve on skating/strength.
                      Bemidji 0-3 on PP, we were 1-4, quiet game for power plays, wanted to limit out penalties
                      Copley did a very nice job, rebounds were a minimum, was on his game, learning what it takes to battle through screens/find the puck
                      Gordic took a shot in the foot, tough to get up - not as bad as it sounds, should be ready for Omaha
                      Dirk - looked like the old Gordic Mel - he looked good, he didn't make the Duluth trip, he played well with purpose, used his body, skated well, best game of the year
                      Gordic has had a lot of bumps/bruises this year, takes toll physically and mentally, not scoring and so many people measure you that way, can lose confidence, not all about goals/assists, like that game, he was effective with 0 points
                      J. Johnstone, he skated well, real good game, he's skating/competeing, good to see that

On Saturday:
                      Got into penalty trouble, got on our heels, thought we were ready, we talk about being mentally ready to go, unfortunately we weren't ready enough, Bemidji was more ready than us
                      Kinne breakaway SHG, result of Bemidji's style, their forwards leave zone right away when they get the puck, our Dman thought they could keep it in, Bemidji was gone the other way
                      Furne to make it 1-1, he was aiming for a spot, good to see him score, glad we got through 1st only down 1-0, Copley a big part of that
                      We played really well 2nd/3rd, Furne's goal was big, great job by Brown to pinch and keep it in the zone right before goal
                      A. McLeod goal, defensive breakdown, we got caught out on a long shift
                      B. Pietila ties it 2-2, Kero quickly threw it out in front, smart players, big goal
                      OT Shots 4-2, touch and go at the end with MTU penalties, a couple good chances before that
                      Copley playing well, 31 saves, in a zone, take one UMD game out, 3 GA in 5 games, our Dmen playing better too, Forwards helping too

Questions for Mel:

What do you think about Alabama-Huntsville coming in?
                      Give our presidents and ADs a ton of credit for saving a program. UAH running out of options for hockey. It makes our league balanced with 10 teams.
                      Being in a league will help them with recruiting. Good overall for college hockey. WCHA has always reached out and helped teams, weather it be UMD, Wisconsin, SCSU, Bemidji, Omaha etc.
                      Dirk - Re: UMD, remembers Sertich thanking MTU and coach MacInnes because he was willing to play UMD when it didnt' help Tech, but was still willing to play them
                      Same here, what will playign UAH add, some will say not a lot, but eventually they will, and good to save a program
                      Not a lot of other teams/league would do that, good for WCHA

Have you heard what this will do to next years schedule?
                      Next year was almost set. League and Non-conference. It will be adjusted, not sure if it will be 28 or 24 game conference schedule. We'll have to totally redo our schedule, we had just got approval for our schedule for next year.
                      We'll have time to get things in order.

Can you talk about recruiting some more in light of all these guys leaving mid season for major juniors?
                      Usually a player isn't happy with ice time or role, or academic problems. We haven't had that issue or anticipate that being issue.

Recruiting is going well, had some kids in this weekend. They enjoyed it, have another one in today. It's ongoing.
                      Fortunate to have a couple kids on the NHL Central List recently. It's a measure of the type of player we're brinign in.

Any more line combinations changes going into the next game?
                      We'll see how Gordic is, always looking to tweak lines. Have a lot of gusy who can play, want guys active and in lineup. Sure there will be some changes.

Can you talk abotu non-conference games next season?
                      We've got 4 series in place, don't have contracts. Fans will be happy with them, most are multi year agreements. Hoping to get 3 of 4 done this week. They're good teams, teams we havne't seen for awhile.

Dirk - How do contracts work on that? Basically you can have a single one both teams sign or some will want a single contract with terms for future games.

What's possibility of half shields?
                      They're doing studies. Safety on visors, coaches want them. They polled players, 90% would like to see them. Every other leagues uses them. Including International play, Blake had one at World Juniors.

Did Bemidji make an adjustment to slow the game down Saturday?
                      They payed their game more. That was part of our doing, we allowed it. When we shot puck in, it went to the goalie, he'd rim the boards to get the puck out or to a Dman to do that, didn't get on our forecheck.
                      Hard to forecheck when we don't keep it from their goalie. Could use soft chip into corner or try to carry it in. We got better at that as game went on.
                      Dirk - Does Bemidji purposely try to draw our one Dman back as their forwards are leaving the zone, yes, spreads you out.

Saturday night scrimage at 6:30 at the Dee, black/gold game.
                      Admission will be a canned good. Will try and help Houghton/Hancock area food banks.
                      Will also have autograph and skate with the Huskies after.
                      Will get some posters and will have the GLI trophy for pictures.
                      Dirk - Great display of the GLI trophy at the games last weekend too. Mel - It hasn't been here for 32 years, it's a big deal. Guaranteed it wont be another 32 years before it's back.
                      This will give us an opportunity during bye to have a game like situation.
                      Good opportunity to see the guys, and spend time on ice with players afterwards.
                      It's only one canned good, something non-perishable, but if you can bring more, it helps a great cause.

They discussed WCHA results to wrap up the show

The intrasquad will help get through the bye, tried to have it at an earlier time to get the younger fans out, probably two 25 min halves

Thank the crowds for coming out this weekend, not the best weather, good crowds especially Saturday, only 5 home games left

Comment

There is a good chance there will be 2 new recruits to talk about before Tech heads to Omaha, including a goalie.

I believe NC schedule is Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota-Duluth. Not sure on the 4th, maybe Notre Dame?

Comment

There is a good chance there will be 2 new recruits to talk about before Tech heads to Omaha, including a goalie.

I believe NC schedule is Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota-Duluth. Not sure on the 4th, maybe Notre Dame?
                          Somehow I thought MSU and U of M were going to alternate and that we'd pick up Wisconsin. ND sounds good, I remember the first time they came to Dee stadium.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Somehow I thought MSU and U of M were going to alternate and that we'd pick up Wisconsin. ND sounds good, I remember the first time they came to Dee stadium.
                            I believe they are both on the schedule, only one will be in Houghton next season...

Comment

Wisco? I think they were mentioned at one time. (sorry, already mentioned above)
                              I saw Coach Muckalt showing a kid the weight room when I was on a treadmill today (about -5 outside). Tough looking kid, not much taller than Billy if at all.... lots of hair. That's the extent of my scouting report.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                This team can still put together a decent finish. Split in Omaha, sweep Anchorage during Carny, beat Northern at home, and things look a lot better going into tough road games at Mankato and St. Cloud. Fortunately, this is our last bye weekend.
                                Sadly there will be another buy the Feb 22/23 weekend.

Hopefully they commit. I think Mel and the assistants have don't a pretty good job so far.

I had read the Q&A below with Jake Jackson a few months ago and was wondering why we were offering a guy with no D1 offers, but good to see that Jake Jackson is now on the NHL Central Scouting Rankings.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/193791

Comment

Working...
                                X