Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

This is for Diehard from the other thread.
    The Scapa distillery went bankrupt a few years ago and was bought by the Chivas Brothers. It's right down the street from Highland Park, in Kirkwall, where you can get tours. The Chivas Brothers make part of the production available to the public as single malt and the rest they use in their blended whisky, Chivas Regal. If you ever get to Orkney it's worth a visit.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Tech looked great at times this weekend, and terrible at other times, luckily enough good to get the sweep. Its nice to be able to watch them on TV.

I was working right next door to the Chivas Regal plant last week. As for tours, my favorite was the Auchentoshan tour, but then, I have no idea what the context of the conversation is from the snippet I saw in the previous post.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        If you ever get to Orkney it's worth a visit.
        Orkney Skull Splitter: best wee heavy/Scotch ale I ever had. Ever.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

After the sweep, we're entitled to this:

Comment

Still a happy hockey camper!

sweeeeeep!
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary:

They reviewed the goals in the series:
              Overall Jujhar made big strides since beginning of season, good to get 2 goals Friday
              Genoa had an outstanding game Friday, there's one he'd like to have back, but made key saves
              Game winning goal, Petan at a very shallow angle with open net, good shift by that line, they were out there by awhile, Petan puts it in
              Tech 3-5 on PP, worked on PP during bye week

On Saturday:
              Outshoot BSU 15-4 in 1st, we were ready to play
              On Petan's disallowed goal, on highlight tape, from that angle it looks like Petan bumps the goalie, from another angle, Siego's shot hits goalie, and puck is in crease, when it's in crease, it'a anyone's puck, it's fair game
              Seigo's goal, Seigo overall looked good, made fewer mistakes, as a Dman you'll always make mistakes, Kero outbattled, got loose puck, nice pass by Johnstone and nice shot by Seigo
              Two diff games in 3rd, for 1st half, good solid road game, gave up a couple chances, and then Davis took a holding penalty, we got a PP after taht but didn't do much with it
              In OT, we looked fresh, they looked tired, eventhough we basically only played 2 lines in OT, real good 5 min overtime
              BSU not happy with OT goal, Mel has watched this goal 20 times, Jujhar's stick is no where near BSU Dman's feet, BSU guy lost his edge, great non-call, Jujhar takes the puck and passes to Blake
              Good for Blake, he doesn't miss, they were on Blake all weekend
              Bemidji had 8 seniors in their lineup Sat, compared to our 1 upfront and 2 on D
              Genoe starting to put together a couple good games

Questions for Mel:

How many non-conference games will we have in new WCHA?
              28 league games, 2 at GLI allowed 34, plus Alaska exemption, probably 6 non-conference not including, GLI.

Are you finding other schools will do 1 for 1 deals (1 trip to to their rink for 1 trip to Houghton) or 2 for 1, Mel is finding some of both.
              MSU is coming here next year, Duluth is coming up here, not much to say about the other downstate MI school until contract is done. A lot of good non-conference games.

Why have we been so good in OT?
              5 of 6 have been succesful, we play to win. Not sure exactly, but we do play to win.

What is difference from Friday to Saturday's PP?
              That's the PP, sometimes puck bounces the right way, they just didnt' go in. We work at it. Overall like our PP, middle pack in WCHA, top half in the nation.

Did Genoe do enough to earn the #1 spot going into weekend against UMD?
              Yes. He played well, earned it, hasn't had many back to back chances and he did well. It'll be an ongoing battle.

Walker Hyland played Saturday, why did he play, injury or wanted to see him?
              We had one guy that didn't play well Friday, so Hyland was in Saturday, assitant coaches have said Hyland has looked good in practice, we waited for the right time to get him in. He's got good offensive instinct, needs to work on defensive side. He looked comfortable.

We have 3 NHL draft picks, how often do NHL teams call to check on them?
              Some call, not all, but some call in about quarterly to check in. We do see their scouts on the road at times. There were quite a few scouts in Bemidji, Mel talked to them. Talked to them about some of our free agents, which worries Mel. Want to see guys like Kero and D. Johsntone get through 4 years at Tech. Dirk pointed out Ottawa, FL and Montreal reps were there among other NHL scouts.

Blake Hietila, how did he play, will we see more of him?
              Yes, he played well, we'll see more of Hietila. He was in for Gordic, Gordic's shoulder popped out, he could've played Sat, but let him rest. We've played everyone except one guy so far this year. We've got depth and some good competition.

Recruits question, what can you tell us about signings?
              We have a few in, Mel checked at 6:30 AM when they got back in town Sunday morning. They've gotten a few more but still waiting on a few, should have about 6, and will announce them all at once. Next Monday Mel will have coaches with him to talk about recruits.

WCHA standings - every night is tough in WCHA, it'll be a good fight to finish, Du maybe playing better than anyone, We've played some of the top teams. Like where we are, and we have some home games startig in a few weeks. 2 huge wins puts us back in contention for home ice.

UMD tied and lost in Grand Forks last weekend. UMD will host SCSU this weekend. We'll get a better feel for where we stand after this weekend when teams get to the same number of games played.

Guys will get 2 days off for Thanksgiving.

When you get a couple big wins, wish we could keep playing, but we'll use this week to start getting ready for UMD.

Comment

What is up with those Bemidji uniforms from Saturday night? And aren't we on to Movember now. I think BCA wear pink month was October but nobody told this guy. I guess BSU just wants to be like Mankato, or the NY Rangers. Or maybe they are the Iron Rangers? Must be a MN jersey thing. At least the BSU version doesn't make me gag with the color combination.
                Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

What does Tech have in common with both Michigan and Michigan State?
                  4 wins and 6 losses.
                  (I hope Blake doesn't make World Juniors).
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    What does Tech have in common with both Michigan and Michigan State?
                    4 wins and 6 losses.
                    (I hope Blake doesn't make World Juniors).
                    As much as I want to see a Tech player at Juniors... Man do I want a GLI banner.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I was impressed with Walker Hyland's play last weekend. I hope he gets more ice time, because I think he deserves it. Play him over Davis,
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I was impressed with Walker Hyland's play last weekend. I hope he gets more ice time, because I think he deserves it. Play him over Davis,
                        Was Davis bad? also, I'm pretty sure Blake P will go to world juniors, and next year I think juhar will go for the canadians. It's a loss but you have to remember most likely Michigan will lose someone as well. Maybe that big defenseman.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It would be pretty amazing for Michigan tech to losing a Canadian to world jrs.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Was Davis bad?
                            His penalty was rather unnecessary on Saturday. The puck was moving out of the zone, when he held a Bemidji player. But, I would say Fillion might be weaker this season.
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

JJ : WCHA rookie of the Week!
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X