Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Fun weekend!

Mel's postgame thoughts:
    Can see why they're ranked #1, they played a much better
    liked our 1st period, our start
    We got in penalty trouble in 2nd period, couldn't get going
    But went into the 3rd tied, give our guys credit, young team playing hard
    Found out a lot about our team and where we're at, found out a lot about 1 of our goalies too
    A lot of posatives this weekend, would've liked to sweep them, but they're a talented team that will win a lot
    A lot of good things going on with this program, they're takign this loss tough, good sign, no moral victories
    If we play like we did this weekend, we'll win a lot of games too
    UMN anticipated where puck was going, we reacted, didn't do a good job on the boards
    Wilcox was good, C. Pietila had a great chance in 3rd
    Proud of our kids, young team, growing in a lot of areas, can't fault the effort
    We chased the puck a lot, spent a lot energy, more of a factor in 3rd
    Hats off to the fans, they continue to support us this year, they'll see a lot of wins at home
    Every loss stings a bit, but we'll get back to work on Monday

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I've been happy with Rix's and C. Pietila's progress. Definitely think it may be a while before Khaira finds his stride, but should be good once he uses his size.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

If we can at least split in Denver, we'll be well on our way. These first two series were going to be extra hard, with MN projected to win the MacNaughton and Denver likely a Top 4 finisher. After that, it's another 4 of 6 at home (Omaha/at Bemidji/Duluth) and a good chance to start putting up some conference points, but we can't get too far ahead of ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
          Definitely think it may be a while before Khaira finds his stride, but should be good once he uses his size.
          Or his feet. He often looks tentative, much more so than our other freshmen.

Really didn't like Sova's play in either game this weekend. I wouldn't mind giving Davis a chance at his expense.

Comment

I believe Kharia is the youngest on the team? There's talent there, but as with almost all true freshmen, we'll need to give him the full year to adjust. He's 18, and he'll be playing against a lot of 20-24 year-olds this season.

Comment

Looking forward to next week's final MTU regular season visit to Magness. The Huskies are off to a great start. My recommendation? Don't think about the altitude at all. Just forget about the altitude. Over the years, teams have complained that the altitude affected them. Personally, I think the altitude is over-rated. After all, the altitude is only 5,280 feet. I wouldn't give it another thought.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                Looking forward to next week's final MTU regular season visit to Magness. The Huskies are off to a great start. My recommendation? Don't think about the altitude at all. Just forget about the altitude. Over the years, teams have complained that the altitude affected them. Personally, I think the altitude is over-rated. After all, the altitude is only 5,280 feet. I wouldn't give it another thought.
                it sure messed with Obama's head, huh?

luckily for us altitude has no effect on the tMel's powers
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Great Split by Tech this weekend. Definite darkhorse in the WCHA and they will be VERY dangerous...I see this team getting even better as the season progresses. Denver will have their hands full.

Also....Love the new unis! Simple, clean...love the old school look!
                  Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                  www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Totally agree, Sova looked behind and had problems all night.
                    Minn was able to hold the blue line consistently, almost exclusively on their left point. I don't know what exactly they were doing to stop the breakout so effectively on that side of the ice, but whatever it was we had a lot of trouble with it. Also totally agree we chased A LOT!. When we got the game to a real strong up and down tempo we were much better. Our passing could be a lot better, and we need to win more faceoffs especially on the pp and pk.

Eick seemed to do fine, but had several near breaks and one total break and probably should have passed the puck instead of shot most of the time. the pressure he puts on was amazing.

I'd like to see Brown, especially against a smaller team, as Minny was quite big size wise.

Also Rau is spoiled and whined about everything to the refs.

Lucia was playing games with the match ups both nights and got away with it the first part of the first game. Towards the end, mel wised up and didn't let him do it so much. We were not able to put pressure on the D the second night like we did the first.

Great series, hope we can improve on the weak areas. Chad Pietila looked especially good.Khaira had his moments but Defensively his whole line was a liability, He'll be a lot better the second half.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Eick seemed to do fine, but had several near breaks and one total break and probably should have passed the puck instead of shot most of the time. the pressure he puts on was amazing.
                      Mel has said in the past Eick had a pass first mentality, I believe he's trying to get him to believe more in his shooting.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Hi...long time reader, first time poster (in months).

I just came here to comment on two guys, but let's make it 3.

Eick- oh my. Love what I'm seeing from him...only 3 and 4 games into his career. And it's only gonna get better!

Rix- great to see him scoring. Hoping for more! If it becomes excessive, I might have to trade for for him on my fantasy team.

And most importantly...

I hope Alt wasn't too miserable this weekend in his least favorite town. Lucky for him, he won't need to come back. Tool.
                        Last edited by MeanEgirl; 10-21-2012, 08:27 PM.
                        Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

I was very impressed with what I saw this weekend. I think the 2 biggest takeaways that I had: Tech is faster than I have ever seen them, especially Eick. And the fan support was excellent, with the building as packed as I have ever seen it on Saturday night. If this team keeps up this kind of play, they will win alot of games, and that building is going to be crazy and full all year.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Eick was certainly fun to watch. He needs to shoot a little more though....And MeanEgirl, thank you for selling me the winning ticket for the jersey raffle on Friday night. If I'd of known you had the lucky touch, all of these years, I wouldn't have wasted my money buying tickets from anybody else.

Comment

Our "offensive" defensemen, Seigo and Sweeney, are -4 after this weekend, and only have one assist each. Seigo, especially, needs to step it up. Sova too, who is 1-1-2 and even, but has too many early penalty minutes for an upperclassman.

Meanwhile, our "defensive" defensemen, Stebner and Nielsen, are both +6 with 0-3-3 and 1-1-2 lines, respectively. A very strong start for a pair who aren't supposed to rack up a lot of points.

Comment

I'm watching Friday night's game on DVR, and wow, Tech really does look good.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X