Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Mel Pearson show notes from 10-15:

They reviewed the LSSU games:
    Disapointed with Thursday, trying to install systems in real game play, work in progress

They reviewed all the Saturday goals, Kero with nice goal for 2-0, playing well offensively, needs to work on Defense side
    Gordic goal after faceoff, have a few designed plays, worked out
    Rix SHG was a big point in the game, good shot
    First few mins of 3rd, disapointed in penalties we took, can't say they're great calls, but can't make it close
    Our standard of play in 3rd is to not take penalty unless it saves a goal, we gave them life, we'll talk about it today at practice
    Offensively - happy, still concerened with goals, can't give up 4 goals, sometimes goals don't go in, but can always play good defense

Questions for Mel:

When it comes to recruiting what is the first thing you look for in a skater?
    Look for skating, with our style and pace, we look for guys that can get from A to B, especially for our forwards.
    Same for Dman, quick/fast defensemen. You'll see a team this weekend that relies heavily on skating. Character and compete levels are huge as well.

I know assistants are on road doing most of the recruiting, do you have the final say in what kind of offer is made.
    Yes, but trust our assistants to make recommendations. We confer and decide what and who we want to offer. Mel presses them, it's important we get the right guy to Tech.

Holmberg played, how did he do?
    Liked him, he did better this year. He'll help our depth.

We took too many penalties this weekend, how do you coach to minimize those?
    There will be questionable calls, overall it's a concern right now. At one point, told team, next bad penalty, that player will sit. Mel doesn't like threats like that, but really upset with how things were unraveling on Sat.
    There are team penalties and selfish, took selfish penalties.

What lineup changes this weekend against MN?
    Will talk about it today. Have a few guys banged up, coaches will go over it all today. Looking at injuries and our matchup with MN. Mel has a pretty good idea of who will play.

Did crowd affect team on Sat at all? Will Athletic Dept do anything to keep crowds up?
    Yes, we feed off the crowd. Crowd was outstanding. Do hope we continue to promote the games. But winning helps, and putting an entertaining game on the ice for big crowds.
    Special promotion on Saturday, tailgate open to anyone, 5-7PM before the game. There will be chili and beverages etc.

Question about walk-ons from intrasquad game, what's their status?
    Thanks to those guys that played, at this point becuase of our roster, we didn't add any of those players to our roster. They did a great job.

Nick Kerdiles at Wisc. suspended for season - what does Mel know, is it excessive?
    NCAA looking at agent/promotion issues with Nick, not a lot too it, but NCAA can be stric, Mel doesn't know all facts, so trying to be careful
    With what Mel knows, it seems excesive, NCAA never known to do things that are not excessive, Bryce is an example

Does Tech have a person sit with players telling them what they can/can not do?
    Yes, coaches do it and a compliance person. Players hear about it in high school too.

Opening of WCHA this weekend, Gophers come to town:
    FS North will be here
    They have a lot of firepower, they didn't lost much from last year, they'll be #1
    Big challenge, but great opportunity, we went down there last year, very competative series
    Bjustad, didn't go pro, good for him and college hockey, so much pressure to take money and run
    We'll find out where we're at by playing the best
    Their goalies will likely split the weekend
    Mel's not sure if we'll go with 1 or 2 goalies this weekend, didn't see Jamie this weekend, but we'll see him soon
    Will try to get more shots on goal than MSU did
    It says somethign that they're brining the TV crew, they didn't the last time Gophs came to town, we want a packed rink for that
    We're playing an entertaing game, Mel saw last night Sports Net in Canada is showing these games with no NHL hockey to show, important for recruiting to show we can play, also trying to recuit in MN so want to show what we can do
    Dirk quoted Chris Chelios who was interviewed on FSN last weekend watching his son play for MSU, it was like Men playing vs boys in hockey. Mel knows Chris well, he doesn't mince words, says it how he sees it
    Mel likes our direction, it'll be an up and down game
    It's an opportunity against #1 team, start of WCHA, need to take advante of home games. No one is giving us a chance, we'll be lucky to squeak out a point, peopel are saying.

'61-61 team getting recognized:
    It was awesome, each living member returned. They had a blast, our players presented each them with a jersey, wanted to show our players the past/history of MI Tech. Glad we performed and won the game.
    Nordstrom, Frahm, Heinonen, Sanragret, all did a great job with the guys in town. Coates came from Philly to help out. Tremendous weekend.

Ticket giveaway question, who is coach of Gophers? Lucia

Mel has a long history with Lucia, MN HS hockey tourney and MI Tech vs. Notre Dame in college. One of the coachs Mel talks to the most.

Don't forget about the tailgate, Saturday 5-7, there will be Chili and beverages. If bad weather it'll be inside.

Comment

Originally posted by The Darkness View Post
      Who missed me?
      RobGreen!!!
      You're always missed!

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      Don't forget about the tailgate, Saturday 5-7, there will be Chili and beverages. If bad weather it'll be inside.
      The Minnesotans will still be outside. Guess we're just tougher.
      I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
        I was curious, so I tallied the seats on the tickets website. Here's the breakdown:
        Seats: 2901 (9 of those remaining)
        So we're at about 3,200 sold so far.
        I'm not sure where you are obtaining the number of seats remaining, but even sections D and E right on the red line have dozens of seats available. Obviously there are more out towards the ends of the rink as well. A sell out would be great, but if they really have to sell all seats before you can get standing room only, everyone who wants a seat should be able to get one unless sales spike in the next three days. I really don't know why the tickets cost more for Minnesota. You're paying for the whole seat... but you're only going to need the edge (if that)!
        Go Tech!

Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          I'm not sure where you are obtaining the number of seats remaining, but even sections D and E right on the red line have dozens of seats available. Obviously there are more out towards the ends of the rink as well. A sell out would be great, but if they really have to sell all seats before you can get standing room only, everyone who wants a seat should be able to get one unless sales spike in the next three days. I really don't know why the tickets cost more for Minnesota. You're paying for the whole seat... but you're only going to need the edge (if that)!
          Go Tech!

Ryan J
          Redwing and I were referring to Saturday's LSSU game. The website showed 16 seats left in the house when I posted, 9 by the time redwing61 posted.
          I'm assuming there will be more seats available for the MN series, as last weekend was homecoming, hall of fame and it was a UP rival.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoToot View Post
            I don't remember what year it was but for the Saturday Carnival game "The Institution" purchased satellite time and had alumni gatherings at over 40 sites areound the country at sports bars/establishments.
            That was in the mid-1990s, but I don't recall the exact year. I'll have to check my VHS collection as I know it predates my Laserdisc and Betamax archives.
            Ryan J

Edit: I believe it was Feb 9, 1996 NMU at MTU. At any rate it has been a while.
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Has anyone else that paid for the video service contacted the it-help@mtu.edu about this audio static issue? I did and they say they're looking into, it might be helpful if others email them so they know it really is an issue.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Has anyone else that paid for the video service contacted the it-help@mtu.edu about this audio static issue? I did and they say they're looking into, it might be helpful if others email them so they know it really is an issue.
                  I know tech hockey guide is looking in to it with the team.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

In other news the USCHO.com Poll is out and somehow LSSU got 7 pts and MTU got ZERO...how the hell does that work. I know they really mean nothing this time of year with so little in the way of results to base things on but that makes no sense whatsoever. I don't really think MTU deserved anything but LSSU didn't either, not after Saturday.
                    http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-me...ober-15,-2012/
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Sorry for the double post but the Tech Hockey Guide WCHA Web Media Poll for Week 1 is now available.

Comment

Does anyone find Tech Hockey Guide's five-minute-warning tweet re The Mel Pearson Show useful, or would it be better at thirty minutes?

(Also, it seems there is no rebroadcast...at least not at 5:30.)

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                          Does anyone find Tech Hockey Guide's five-minute-warning tweet re The Mel Pearson Show useful, or would it be better at thirty minutes?

(Also, it seems there is no rebroadcast...at least not at 5:30.)
                          I could move them to 15 or 30, whatever works better. I wasn't aware they weren't doing rebroadcasts this season. I will look into it.
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I know last year the rebroadcast wasn't always on time and was sometimes abridged.

Comment

Todays show lasted 45 minutes. maybe they should make it an hour long, and please, video tape it. (kind of like mike and mike). I'd rather watch, especially when Mel is politically correct which I find quite funny.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Dave Karnosky put together a feature on the '62 team for THG.
                                http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...ionship-squad/
                                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                                X