Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Well I missed most of the game and only heard the first period, but how do we expect to compete with Minnesota if we let LSSu get 4 goals. minnesota will score 10 the way we played. Although the five minute major was not from behind if you ask me, we are going to get called like that and we have to play within ourselves despite that.

We might have talent but you need to play defense not just offense. it's not the BCHL any longer.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Continental Fire Co. gives Houghton a new breath of night life
      WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2012

ARTS AND CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURSHIP
      HOUGHTON/HANCOCK
      Let's be honest here--anyone who has moved to Houghton or Hancock from a larger metropolitan area didn't take long to find out that there isn't much of a night life in the area.

Jonathan Julien and the owners of the Continental Fire Company in Houghton are hoping to change that. That's exactly why they opened their new night club, built in a former fire hall that was home to the original Continental Fire Company in 1883--one of the first fire companies in the area. The building was also the birthplace of the Michigan School of Mining in 1885--now known as Michigan Technological University--which held its first classes in the upper level.

"One of the biggest reasons we chose the building we did was its historical significance," says Julien, who opened the club with Adam and Thomas Yeoman. They are currently the only three employees, though they are accepting applications for several open positions.

Those old firemen and mining school students wouldn't recognize the place these days. Julien and the Yeomans basically completely rebuilt the building, though they did try to keep as much of the original architecture as possible--including the 130-year-old flooring on the balcony level.

The trio, all hailing from Houghton, will open the doors full-time come March 1, starting with a Thursday, Friday and Saturday schedule.

"We will be slowly working into more nights, but those will be the days we will be open for the time being," Julien says.

The Continental Fire Company, located at 408 East Montezuma, will offer patrons a cocktail theme with quieter music until around 10 p.m., and then transition to a true night club.

"We are all from Houghton and really saw a need for an entertainment venue like we are doing--we all love living here and only thought this would improve the social life in Houghton," says Julien.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        Continental Fire Co. gives Houghton a new breath of night life
        WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2012

ARTS AND CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURSHIP
        HOUGHTON/HANCOCK
        Let's be honest here--anyone who has moved to Houghton or Hancock from a larger metropolitan area didn't take long to find out that there isn't much of a night life in the area.

Jonathan Julien and the owners of the Continental Fire Company in Houghton are hoping to change that. That's exactly why they opened their new night club, built in a former fire hall that was home to the original Continental Fire Company in 1883--one of the first fire companies in the area. The building was also the birthplace of the Michigan School of Mining in 1885--now known as Michigan Technological University--which held its first classes in the upper level.

"One of the biggest reasons we chose the building we did was its historical significance," says Julien, who opened the club with Adam and Thomas Yeoman. They are currently the only three employees, though they are accepting applications for several open positions.

Those old firemen and mining school students wouldn't recognize the place these days. Julien and the Yeomans basically completely rebuilt the building, though they did try to keep as much of the original architecture as possible--including the 130-year-old flooring on the balcony level.

The trio, all hailing from Houghton, will open the doors full-time come March 1, starting with a Thursday, Friday and Saturday schedule.

"We will be slowly working into more nights, but those will be the days we will be open for the time being," Julien says.

The Continental Fire Company, located at 408 East Montezuma, will offer patrons a cocktail theme with quieter music until around 10 p.m., and then transition to a true night club.

"We are all from Houghton and really saw a need for an entertainment venue like we are doing--we all love living here and only thought this would improve the social life in Houghton," says Julien.
        Someone had to replace the UpHill 41

Seriously though that sounds like a nice place. We'll see everyone there...
        Last edited by Biddco; 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Someone had to replace the UpHill 41

Seriously though that sounds like a nice place. We'll see everyone there...
          I've seen pictures of the inside, and it looks like it very nice. I was told that it could be dropped into downtown Chicago and you wouldn't be able to tell it was a "club" from Houghton. Not sure how true that is, but still, easily a huge improvement over the Upslut.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            I've seen pictures of the inside, and it looks like it very nice. I was told that it could be dropped into downtown Chicago and you wouldn't be able to tell it was a "club" from Houghton. Not sure how true that is, but still, easily a huge improvement over the Upslut.
            Sure beats being in a concourse like the luncheon I went to last year. Makes sense they wanted to upgrade where the luncheon was located.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Seems like the boys were a little shell shocked last night. LSSU came out loaded for bear and their top line ran roughshot over us in the first 45 seconds. It's unfortunate that we lost, but I think the game was a good wake-up call. Maybe the guys were believing their press and thought this would be an easy one. At least now, they know they'll need to play a two-way game. I'll be a bit surprised if Copley's getting the start again. I didn't watch the game on the video feed so I'm not sure if any of the goals were soft. Does anyone have info on how Copley played overall? I'll be in the nosebleed seats for Saturday's game. Looks like the game will be sold out....only 16 unsold seats left in the entire building.
              Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

College Hockey Sweden Camp Paying Dividends for Michigan Tech Already!
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  nice job on the write up. i watched him play a few weeks ago vs the U17's in Ann Arbor. you could tell he's adjusting to the North American style of play. he did lay a few nice hits, got caught out of position a few times, but overall played pretty good. good passer and smart. i think he'll develop and be a good steady Dman. Des Moines is not a good team so he'll get a ton of ice time this year.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    interesting article and thanks for the work. Looking forward to seeing him.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                      nice job on the write up. i watched him play a few weeks ago vs the U17's in Ann Arbor. you could tell he's adjusting to the North American style of play. he did lay a few nice hits, got caught out of position a few times, but overall played pretty good. good passer and smart. i think he'll develop and be a good steady Dman. Des Moines is not a good team so he'll get a ton of ice time this year.
                      Thanks for the eval.

Comment

I've heard a big crowd will show up at the game Saturday, perhaps over 4,000. Is that true?
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I would hope there is a big crowd.
                          LSSU looked like they really rushed the puck in the highlight video. Not bad for a "defensive team"
                          I expect a more determined defensive effort tonight, and a hard fought split this weekend.

Comment

Anyone try feed from a iPhone last weekend? Going to be wandering aroun San Francisco during the game... Curious if it'll work well, or I'll just have to have to listen to it.
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                              I've heard a big crowd will show up at the game Saturday, perhaps over 4,000. Is that true?
                              I was curious, so I tallied the seats on the tickets website. Here's the breakdown:

Seats: 2901 (9 of those remaining)
                              Handicap: 24 (10 remaining)
                              Standing Room – Ice Level: 600 (583 remaining)
                              Standing Room – Concourse Level: 400 (320 remaining)
                              Suites: 203 [by deducting previous numbers from 4,128 stated capacity]

So we're at about 3,200 sold so far.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                                Anyone try feed from a iPhone last weekend? Going to be wandering aroun San Francisco during the game... Curious if it'll work well, or I'll just have to have to listen to it.
                                If you try using the TuneIn radio app, I believe all you get is music unless pasty.net now has an app...
                                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Working...
                                X