Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
    Ok, this has gone to beyond pathetic now, seems we now have the worst defense and worst offense in the WCHA. If we keep playing like this we'll be lucky to finish 11th in the WCHA. I know Mel knows what he is doing, but maybe we had our hopes to high for this year? I don't know what else to say, this has just been 4 straight games of absolutely pitiful play with little to nothing done correctly. Sigh.
    I feel like, after overachieving last year, we're now underachieving without Olson's leadership and Robinson's goaltending. It's easy to forget how young this team is.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Red Cows, no offense but you guys are not the class of the league, if you finish 6th I'll be surprised.
      I don't know what we "are" of the league, really, as yet.

I will tell you this, pick a Dean Blais coached team 7th in your conference (preseason ranking) at your peril.

Our defense corps are no slouches. If we can score some goals (we've had "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" disease last season and to some degree into this one) and Faulkner is better than he was year before last (6 shutouts) on the way to the NCAA's.............who knows. IMHO, I think we are at least the 6th place team. We'll see if I am right come March. We were picked 9th season before last and finished 3rd. We already look better than last season's team, particularly on defense and Coach Blais says the Northern Michigan game we played at home on October 19th was the best performance by the Mavericks since he's been the head coach here. On the negative side, our power play last season, and, now into this season, too, is utterly appalling. Our arrow looks like it is pointing up to me, though, particularly when compared to last season.

We definitely seem to like playing in Houghton. 5-0-1, all time.

Comment

Don't forget, it took Red Berenson 7 years to get Michigan back to the NCAAs (although it was only an 8 or 12-team tourney at the time). In fact, his first three seasons of sub-.500 finishes were hardly noteworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Gotta be able to beat the bottom tier teams like UNO and DU....yuck
          Yup, we've bottom fed ourselves right into the NCHC next season right along side of DU, our bottom feeding brethren along with whom we've signed a contract with the NBC Sports Network:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2012/9...college-hockey

Those "bottom tier" teams always get handed the keys to the city, don't you know.

It was nice being your conference mates, even if it was only for 3 seasons.

Comment

its very strange. in some ways we looked good tonight. but beaten by a better team. still young, still learning. but on the right path.
            Genoe was crazy good in the 3rd. channeling his inner Cam Ellsworth.

really some good stories developing - Kero, Petan, Sweeney. uh. yup. We need goaltending and scoring. some defense. less penalties. other than that we smoking.

just being cynical. sorry!
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

So I was went to the Green Bay Gamblers game tonight who happen to be coached by Pat Mikesch, felt like I was watching a game during my 4 years at tech...
              Originally posted by Twitch Boy
              Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                So I was went to the Green Bay Gamblers game tonight who happen to be coached by Pat Mikesch, felt like I was watching a game during my 4 years at tech...

*****http://i6.***********.com/albums/y227/association330/russell-DEFENSE.jpg******

Comment

So the team has dug a hole with the start, but it's not how you to start it is how you finish.
                  The month of November will provide a lot of additional practice time with the 2 bye weekends depending on how long the Thanksgiving break is. This should give the staff a fresh look at all the players and decide who should be traveling with the team and getting playing time.

Tech is 2-6, at best even the highest of expectations for the start would have predicted a 4-4 start after 8 games.
                  The goaltending situation will work its way out and the team really needs to focus on the weekend at Bemidji.

It is going to be a rough and tumble year, with each weekend a rollercoaster ride of emotions as with the way NMU is playing, I don't see an easy weekend in the entire schedule.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Huskiefan906;5540193]So the team has dug a hole with the start, but it's not how you to start it is how you finish.
                    The month of November will provide a lot of additional practice time with the 2 bye weekends depending on how long the Thanksgiving break is. This should give the staff a fresh look at all the players and decide who should be traveling with the team and getting playing time.

The goaltending situation will work its way out and the team really needs to focus on the weekend at Bemidji.
                    [QUOTE]....

It's pretty impossible to disagree that it has been anything but a tough start and I certaining agree that November's bye's should help. What I don't understand is why the team keeps sticking with Copley in goal when, to me at least, it appears that Genoe has let in fewer untimely goals. That said, why is it that Phillips, a kid that the pro's seemed to think was good enough to put in their 'future potential pile' hasn't even had a sniff? Does Shields think that Tech and the pro's made an error in him?

As far as, "it's how you finish that counts", I hope things get better. A 500 year is looking like a reach, do-able, but a long reach at best.

Comment

Didn't Phillips get a period of mop-up duty in Denver?

Comment

Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

*****http://i6.***********.com/albums/y227/association330/russell-DEFENSE.jpg******
                          classic
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Red cow, no offense but you guys are not the class of the league, if you finish 6th I'll be surprised.
                            No offense, but I watched those games. That UNO squad looked strong. I think you are wrong in this assumption. MTU also look very lackluster.

Comment

Don't panic. You've got the brains of the Michigan operation and a great tradition. You're going to be fine. It was fun to see you guys at the X last spring and we look forward to seeing you down the road.

Comment

Can't help but get the feeling of "here we go again" rought start and some WCHA points have been missed, but hopefully the bye week helps gets us back on the right track

Will Tech Hockey Guide be posting any ofthe video or recordings from this weekend? I was hoping to hear the postgame interview from Saturday to hear Mel's demeanor

Tech picked up a commitment from Forward Trevor Cope of the Langley Rivermen, BCHL, his USHL right are held by the Lincoln Stars, he's from Commerce, MI

Comment

Working...
                                X