Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Well, to me, I think we ran into great defense and goaltending this weekend. Denver had a gameplan for us, mostly waiting for us to screw up and then capitalizing, which they executed perfectly. There are a lot of things we need to continue working on, but playing a smarter road game will be needed in the future - fewer penalties, grittier play around the net, fewer risky rushes and trying to score highlight reel goals. Rarely are we going to score 5+ on the road.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Well, to me, I think we ran into great defense and goaltending this weekend. Denver had a gameplan for us, mostly waiting for us to screw up and then capitalizing, which they executed perfectly. There are a lot of things we need to continue working on, but playing a smarter road game will be needed in the future - fewer penalties, grittier play around the net, fewer risky rushes and trying to score highlight reel goals. Rarely are we going to score 5+ on the road.
      Denver saw what happened to UMN. Paid attention to the 2nd game and watched how to play Tech. Try to get Tech into a penalty situation, bother the top scorers, know they are young and will make a mistake and then take advantage. It's a game plan every team will try to use now. No more surprises, Tech better come to play at a highly intense level.

Comment

I'm with you HF. I didn't get to even listen to the whole thing saturday, but overall not too unhappy. One thing I know though, those DU guys are world champion whiners! Everyone has stuff like that, not just them.

The best thing about this weekend to me was that we learned all our weaknesses. I think Denver was real good at taking advantage of our bad parts. Minny came close, but didn't for whatever reason. Laleggia is the real deal too, very impressive. I think the offense is a work in progress, the pp was a problem but I think will be better. Would like to see fewer goals allowed though.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

As of Thursday, the B&B will no longer be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Quest View Post
            As of Thursday, the B&B will no longer be.
            I only made it to the B&B one time, during senior walk.

Mel Pearson show summary 10-29:

They reviewed DU:
            We'll have some inconsitencies
            Goaltending could've been better
            We'll play more teams like DU that get traffic in front of net and take advantage of other teams mistakes
            Fillion, big goal, got traffic from Gordic in front of the net
            After that, they scored to make it 3-1 and then go on the PK for the 5 min major
            14 sec into 3rd they score, good shot, bad goal, not sure if Copley saw it
            Several goals from a long ways out, our guys need to do better at blocking shots
            Outshot them 28-22, 1-6 on PP Friday
            We had difficult getting puck through and to DU net, DU did a good job of that, our Dmen need to find the lanes

Sat:
            Rix SHG, good for him, he does well in practice, he picking up slack for some taht aren't producing
            Thought we'd be okay after taht, but penalties started
            3-1 was a critical point in game, LaLeggia beats Copley low blocker side, Mel didn't like that goal, long shot that Pheonix should have
            We out attempted them 38-16 in 2nd, but DU had only goal
            We had a good 3rd period too
            Attempted shots Tech 64 DU 32, but couldn't score
            We hit Murray in the mask a few times, and a few pipes, Can't force offense, and DU is rock solid on defense, they don't give you much
            Davis gets an assits on Rix 2nd goal, Jimmy handled himself well, 1st period Sat he got a big hit, he was more than fine, encouraging to see
            Tech 0-5 on PP, 9 PP shots, DU 1-6, 16 PP shots on goal out of 28 total shots by DU

We'll have inconsitencies in goal, one weekend does not make a season
            Team as a whole got positive feedback after UMN, can't get caught up in that, but we didn't play a good 1st period Friday
            Copley has to find a way to get ready everyweekend

on Friday Mel went back to C. Pietila with Rix and Eick right away Friday, have confidence in that line and without last change, put them out there a few times, for most part they did a good job

They reviewewd all other WCHA games/results

Questions for Mel:
            Why were the goals down this weekend? Was it our team or DU goaltending?
            Combination, but the DU goaltenders and seasoned and they have have good defensemen. We had very few odd man rushes.

What are biggest areas of concern defensively?

not one area and our goaltending needs to be better. A lot of little things, we need to block shots.

What team are we more likely to see, teams that beat UMN and scored 8 goals or team that played DU and scored 3 goals?
            We'll be rady at home, DU has great goaltending. UNO has good defense, but lookign to find their goaltender. Our guys will be ready to play.

Are you concerned abotu penalties and timing of penalties?
            Yes. Mel could'nt say it, but Dirk said there were questionable calls this weekend on botsh sides. The guys don't know what a penalties is when these iffy calls are made. There were some legitamite calls, but we'll address it in practice today. We have to do better. We have depth, and are a good 5x5 time. We can't use it as an excuse has to overcome them.

As always ask questions dj@themix93.com

Josh Robinson in ECHL - good to see him have success, goaltender of the week last week, maybe 3-0-1, 1.5 GAA, 94.8 sav%
            Good year last year, Shields did a good job with him too
            Our goaltending weill be fine, we'll get kinks worked out with our goaltenders and Steve Shields

Brett Olson in AHL for Calgary, good for him, didn't have a contract, with lockout a lot of trop prospects in AHL, Brett has 1 G 3 A in 5 games
            His style is good in AHL, hard worker can play PK, on top line against other teams top line etc

There's a lot of good things going on, Mel's not gloom and doom, plenty of guys showign promise, there's a reason DU will be ranked in top 3 this week, very strong team

We're honest with out team, point out where we can get better as a team and individually, it'll take some time, we've come a long way in a year and a couple weeks
            We'll be a good solid team

Have to let the weekend go, listen to coaches, look in the mirror and get better, it's all about getting better and learning, have to move forward

Trivia questions for Ticket giveaway, current player leading team in goals scored? Rix

Rix will continue this, he does not play on PP, tied for nation lead in goals

What teams to Josh Robinson and Brett Olson play for?

Dean Blais and UNO coming to town. They came to Houghton last year as well, we got a point.
            They will be tough after only getting a point last weekend.
            We'll be ready, our guys will be anxious to get back at it.
            They are good definsvely with Dmen, tryign to fing the right goalie.
            We will do drills to get to the net this week.

These are big games, only home games in November, encourage fans to get out, our guys enjoy the big crown in the rink.

Comment

I posted this on twitter earlier, but with eleven followers, that's like hiding my light under a bushel basket. Pearson was interviewed for "Hockey on Campus" on SiriusXM's NHL Network channel. Audio available here.

Comment

Well, we knew this was coming:

Originally posted by Stephen Anderson
                This won't surprise most people, but Pearson told me today it's probably a 99.5 percent chance this year's #GLI will be indoors. #mtuhky

Comment

Expect an official cancellation of the Winter Classic this week.

Comment

Just catching up after not having time to be on the boards since Friday. It really sucks to go out and underperform enough to let an inferior team sweep. Tech needs to play a good game against these lower level teams like DU, not just against the good times like Minnesota. Very disappointing. At least we never have to deal with the ******** DU fans ever again. Silver lining, and all.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Just catching up after not having time to be on the boards since Friday. It really sucks to go out and underperform enough to let an inferior team sweep. Tech needs to play a good game against these lower level teams like DU, not just against the good times like Minnesota. Very disappointing. At least we never have to deal with the ******** DU fans ever again. Silver lining, and all.
                      Agrred except we invited them to the gli for next year or year after
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Agrred except we invited them to the gli for next year or year after
                        Terrible decision. They will bring absolutely nothing to that tournament. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they make these kinds of decisions.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Terrible decision. They will bring absolutely nothing to that tournament. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they make these kinds of decisions.
                          I assume it is to provide DU fans with a big chuckle. What if DU is playing next year when they actually have the Winter Classic in Detroit?
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            I assume it is to provide DU fans with a big chuckle. What if DU is playing next year when they actually have the Winter Classic in Detroit?
                            Im sure DU will get bumped for Western Michigan or some other school, much like SCSU got bumped from this year's GLI.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              Yeah, all 8 of them.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Speaking of DU, here is an article about a defenseman that has apparently had interest from DU, Union and Michigan Tech:
                                http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...tion-look-easy
                                Seems like the kind of kid we should be looking at, was recently named NAHL defenseman of the month.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X