Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Up To The Task?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Oh yeah, well you just wait until Jerry York goes senile behind the bench and then we'll see who's laughing dammit!
    Cav already runs that squad (and this weekend at least he doesn't have to jam his arm up Jerry's rectum and work his mouth like a puppet )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I don't think that quote was unreasonable at all. (This will open up a big debate on "motivation" I'm sure). What is he going to do? Sit them all in a room and make them listen to the Rocky soundtrack or something? The coaches job is to put them in a position to win (which is motivating in and of itself). Going out and getting the job done is on the players.
      I'm sorry but this line of reasoning is f ucking ridiculous. Parker is a highly compensated coach. He's not volunteering his time here on an unpaid basis. What exactly is he being paid for? Hockey doesn't have a ton of strategy like football where you draw up plays. Can't we expect him to either 1) recruit players with the proper attitude, or 2) mold players into hardworking teammates who take pride in wearing the school's uniform? Isn't that the difference between going to the FF almost every year and going once in 15 years?
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Up To The Task?

We are letting him buy the groceries. The least he can do is make a tasty dinner
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          I'm sorry but this line of reasoning is f ucking ridiculous. Parker is a highly compensated coach. He's not volunteering his time here on an unpaid basis. What exactly is he being paid for? Hockey doesn't have a ton of strategy like football where you draw up plays. Can't we expect him to either 1) recruit players with the proper attitude, or 2) mold players into hardworking teammates who take pride in wearing the school's uniform? Isn't that the difference between going to the FF almost every year and going once in 15 years?
          Jack is here to do two things:

1. Collect a paycheck and take credit for wins and championships.
          2. Deflect blame to players for losses and criminal conduct.

I love Jack. I hope he never changes. And I hope he coaches forever.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Hockey doesn't have a ton of strategy like football where you draw up plays.

I would actually disagree that there's not much strategy in hockey. Special teams can involve lots of strategy and drawn up plays and can make or break a team. That being said, I think this just helps your argument.

BU PP: 13.75% Good for 42nd in the country (Strategy: slap shot from the point, hope for a rebound)
            BU PK: 80.9% Good for 40th in the country (Strategy: just block the shot Alexx)

That is an absolute disgrace to the program and the coaches should be resigning. It doesn't even seem like they're addressing the special teams issue.

Another area where strategy can be important is knowing how and when to spark a team by changing goalies. If you have two, USE THEM. A guy gives up 6 goals in one game and is in the process of blowing a 3 goal lead (though with some help from the defense). How many times have we seen a goalie (whether it be Rollheiser, Milan, O'Connor, Maguire) who is clearly fighting the puck and it just feels like the coaches are saying, "let him finish the game, we don't want to hurt his confidence by pulling him."

Comment

As a parent of an 11 and an 8 year old, there are moments when I need to remind myself just how young my kids are and that they don't think like I do. And at that age, neither did I. I think Parker needs to be reminded of this. It's easy at my age, much less his, to say - "why should they need any motivation from me? Their playing D-1 hockey at a great program, and if they don't cut it, they'll sit or be gone." It's not that easy when dealing with kids this age, and I think that Parker has forgotten that.

He seems to have gone from being a screamer in his early days (a la Bobby Knight) to trying a more gentle approach, to now not doing anything at all. Call it the silent treatment.

Here is another way to think of it. if Mike Sullivan or Dave Quinn were in the locker room before a big game, does anyone here really think they wouldn't find it important to give some sort of motivational talk before sending the troops out?

I'm concerned.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

guys.. it just might be time for someone (high up) in the ADs office.. to make that call to Colorado..
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                  I would actually disagree that there's not much strategy in hockey. Special teams can involve lots of strategy and drawn up plays and can make or break a team.
                  I would argue that the biggest element of hockey strategy is how aggressive a forecheck you are going to play. Coaches look at how they match up skill and speed-wise, and if they feel they can force turnovers and capitalize, they'll play aggressive. If they feel they are out-skilled, then they'll usually play a more conservative forecheck, with a trap/one-man being the extreme.

BU Hockey has historically been known for an aggressive forecheck, especially in home games, early on. Parker has certainly switched to a safer approach when leading (sometimes too early for our liking) or for a whole game (see Michigan, 1997).

But yeah, those PP and PK numbers are not good.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

2) mold players into hardworking teammates who take pride in wearing the school's uniform?
                    Well isn't this essentially the same as what he said?

"I have to get them in an environment that they’re wiling to motivate themselves.”

I just think that people put too much stock in motivation... as if a different pre-game speach would have changed the outcome of Wed night.

Comment

Time for the next thread, I see.
                      Bugs Bunny - 96
                      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Oops. One more needed.
                        Bugs Bunny - 96
                        Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                        X