Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM @ Lowell - This Could Get Ugly

Originally posted by UMLWeatherman View Post
    I will likely never wear the replica... ..
    Until the blue ones are actually available at the store, I'll wear it. It's blue.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Holy crap we have to play our first real game of the year against a team ranked 6th in the country! good luck Vermont!

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        While I appreciate the anti-jinxing and the sandbagging going on here, I'll be a bit more realistic.

Lowell wins by a FG walking away. Say, 4-1. Any other result with this squad would be a large disappointment.
        Well done.
        National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
        Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
        two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
        b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

While not the result you wanted, nice to see Lowell get the sell-out. Great crowd in Amherst as well.

Comment

I only watched the live stats and read the recaps so if any of you Lowell fans that went to the game have any decent comments on how UVM looked I would love to hear them. It would seem Hoffman did well in net, but were they quality shots?

Great for UVM to start the season with a tie against the #6 team on the road, should give them some confidence. Did Lowell not come to play or is UVM going to be better then 10th in HE?

Again any comments would be appreciated.
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

So when is this game going to get ugly?
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                So when is this game going to get ugly?
                The game was ugly (just not in the way I would have liked . I don't think either team played particularly well. Hoffman played pretty well and he looks like he could be a good one. He came up with one or two big saves, especially right after Lowell scored their first goal. Certainly takes up a lot of space in the net. Carr would love to have his goal back. That was soft a soft one. Lowell's PK was the only bright spot. They did a fantastic job killing the 5 minute (there was no contact to the head. The head contact came from how hard he was hit, and then the UVM player's head hit the glass), and then the whole 2 minute 5x3. But neither team had any flow, a lot of turnovers. Chalk it up to first game of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                  The game was ugly (just not in the way I would have liked . I don't think either team played particularly well. Hoffman played pretty well and he looks like he could be a good one. He came up with one or two big saves, especially right after Lowell scored their first goal. Certainly takes up a lot of space in the net. Carr would love to have his goal back. That was soft a soft one. Lowell's PK was the only bright spot. They did a fantastic job killing the 5 minute (there was no contact to the head. The head contact came from how hard he was hit, and then the UVM player's head hit the glass), and then the whole 2 minute 5x3. But neither team had any flow, a lot of turnovers. Chalk it up to first game of the season.
                  FWIW, I thought I saw an elbow to the head. Agree on the rest of your analysis, especially the 'no flow' part.
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    I only watched the live stats and read the recaps so if any of you Lowell fans that went to the game have any decent comments on how UVM looked I would love to hear them. It would seem Hoffman did well in net, but were they quality shots?

Great for UVM to start the season with a tie against the #6 team on the road, should give them some confidence. Did Lowell not come to play or is UVM going to be better then 10th in HE?

Again any comments would be appreciated.
                    How about comments from a UVM fan who was at the game?

Hoffman looked impressive, stopped three ( maybe 4) odd man rushes and played with confidence. Seems to be a solid positional player, and could be a real asset for the team this year by being able to make the big save.

Lowell goal was on a nice forecheck (or as a UVM fan, a bad cough up by the d) with a pass across the crease that was not going to be stopped by anyone. D was a bit shaky, but aggressive, hence the odd man rushes.

Lots to look forward to with the Cats, perhaps a bit better than the pre-season rankings but there are a lot of zamboni's to be driven before we really know what the team is made of.
                    Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

That game was just ugly. No flow, from either side. Disappointed in how Lowell played overall. Hoffman was good, but I really thought he wasn't tested. There weren't too many great chances for Lowell, partially because of UVM's defense and partially because Lowell generally looked clueless out there.

Thoroughly pathetic result.

But an absolutely great crowd. I never thought we'd have that many people show up, sets up for a fun year.
                      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        That game was just ugly. No flow, from either side. Disappointed in how Lowell played overall. Hoffman was good, but I really thought he wasn't tested. There weren't too many great chances for Lowell, partially because of UVM's defense and partially because Lowell generally looked clueless out there.

Thoroughly pathetic result.

But an absolutely great crowd. I never thought we'd have that many people show up, sets up for a fun year.
                        I don't think we did that bad... on the other hand, we didn't look that good... its clear the pieces are still there... I really felt like every play was "fire it right on net"... no creativity... I don't think I saw a single pass on the 2 on 1 or an attempted skill move. Its like they all felt they could just wizz one by the keeper.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          I don't think we did that bad... on the other hand, we didn't look that good... its clear the pieces are still there... I really felt like every play was "fire it right on net"... no creativity... I don't think I saw a single pass on the 2 on 1 or an attempted skill move. Its like they all felt they could just wizz one by the keeper.
                          Agree about the passing, it was shoot first and no one seemed to look to pass. The Vermont goaltender is huge and the Hawks seldom got him moving. He just held his ground covering up most of the net.

Comment

Game takeaway fom CHN:
                            http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...tie/#more-2111

Comment

Sounds like Hoffman played really well, even if some seem to think he wasn't tested much. This was his first game against a D1 team, and a very good one at that, and he came away with 39 saves. That's a pretty successful outing by any measure. I'm also delighted with the tie and a point in the HE standings. After last year, and the year before for that matter, it almost feels like a win for us.

Interesting little sidebar concerning the UVM radio broadcast. When Sneddon called timeout with a minute left in OT and asked the refs to review something, the broadcasters were speculating why. They were saying UVM was playing really well and that Sneddon probably wanted more time put back on the clock after the play where Carr covered up the puck at the side of the net. They were speculating that 8 or 10 seconds may have ticked off the clock after the whistle was blown, and if it was put back on, well that'd be more time for UVM to get the win. As they were discussing this I was thinking OMG SNEDDON, ARE YOU NUTS? Just let the final 60 seconds tick away and be happy with the tie. Turned out the broadcasters were wrong and later corrected themselves. Sneddon actually asked for the review to determine if the puck went in before Carr got it covered up. As y'all know, they ruled it didn't.
                              Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                Sneddon actually asked for the review to determine if the puck went in before Carr got it covered up. As y'all know, they ruled it didn't.
                                So, how did this happen? I thought that the refs don't have to listen to these requests, it's up to the refs themselves, so why did the refs do it?
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X