Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM @ Lowell - This Could Get Ugly

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Any UVM fans want to comment? I know they had a pretty good result in their exhibition game. Who should we expect to see in goal? Any of you coming down to Lowell?
    Our goalie will likely be freshman Brody Hoffman. Here's a little blurb about him from the Burlington Free Press:

"Freshman goalie Brody Hoffman, 6-4, 195: Hoffman is big and when he’s on his angles, opposing shooters have a hard time seeing the net. He went 29-7-3 for the Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) with a 1.90 goals against average and a .929 save percentage. He’s never had a goalie-specific coach but working with UVM’s Terry Lovelette should bring out the best in him."

It was hard to tell much of anything about Hoffman from the exhibition against Concordia since he only faced a few shots in approximately one and a half periods of play. One of our posters, who was at the game, commented that he was impressed with how Hoffman played the puck and got it quickly onto the stick of a D-man who could clear the zone. This, of course, will be a much bigger test, and we'll know a lot more about him after the game.

Our other freshman goalie, Billy Faust, apparently lives in the L.A. area. During the streaming video telecast of the Concordia game, they were saying that Faust had been working out during the summer with members of the L.A. Kings and other NHL players who also live in the area. That's got to be great experience for a young goalie and was a pretty cool thing to hear. Faust also played last Saturday and gave up Concordia's only goal while also facing a limited number of shots.
    Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to let all you Lowell fans know that I appreciate your generally respectful attitude about UVM in this thread. In years past, your comments might have been more like "We're gonna hammer those pansies and they're gonna go home cryin like babies." I think we're going to be much improved this year and should be able to keep this game competitive. While we might not win, I think it's certainly possible, and y'all seem to be able to recognize that too. I'm really looking forward to Friday and finding out more about our guys as they compete against a very good Lowell team. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        Just wanted to let all you Lowell fans know that I appreciate your generally respectful attitude about UVM in this thread. In years past, your comments might have been more like "We're gonna hammer those pansies and they're gonna go home cryin like babies." I think we're going to be much improved this year and should be able to keep this game competitive. While we might not win, I think it's certainly possible, and y'all seem to be able to recognize that too. I'm really looking forward to Friday and finding out more about our guys as they compete against a very good Lowell team. Good luck to you guys.
        I agree..................I always knew there were many more respectful UML fans. The tools just squeak louder, but not smarter.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

The fact that Lowell is highly rated going into the season, every game will be under a microscope. In the scheme of things, Lowell should win this game. Taking care of games like this is what makes good teams great. It doesn't matter that it's the home opener or if Rowdy is alive after Sneddon ran him down, Lowell should come out with 2 points. No game in Hockey East is ever a cakewalk and I do think most people have miscast UVM as being one of the worst teams in league history, but there's no reason to be scared. Lowell is better in every aspect of the game. Respect your opponent, play hard and get the job done. It seems Norm has reinforced that idea and hopefully the team has bought in. Can't wait for Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by snipeshow10 View Post
            The fact that Lowell is highly rated going into the season, every game will be under a microscope. In the scheme of things, Lowell should win this game. Taking care of games like this is what makes good teams great. It doesn't matter that it's the home opener or if Rowdy is alive after Sneddon ran him down, Lowell should come out with 2 points. No game in Hockey East is ever a cakewalk and I do think most people have miscast UVM as being one of the worst teams in league history, but there's no reason to be scared. Lowell is better in every aspect of the game. Respect your opponent, play hard and get the job done. It seems Norm has reinforced that idea and hopefully the team has bought in. Can't wait for Friday.
            Very well said.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post

"Freshman goalie Brody Hoffman, 6-4, 195:
              That's a big boy...

Comment

Lets go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                  That's a big boy...
                  Remember, Hellebuyck is 6'4", 200. I think he's one of the tallest netminders we've ever had. McCormick was the other one I really remember, but he was only (only!) 6'2".
                  Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

That's a big boy...
                    True that. Size like that doesn't leave much room for goal scoring.

I think one of our former goalies, Joe Fallon, was about the same size. If Hoffman can come close to being as good as Fallon, we'll be in good shape.

Comment

There was a time in this series when the road teams ruled no matter what the records were, but the
                      last few years the dominance has returned the the home teams who have gone 5-0-3.

That said I hope for a new streak to begin.
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

That's a big boy...
                        I am 6 4' and 198 myself and not very intimidating really. I guess it is more impressive on the ice and especially between the pipes.....versus my office haha.
                        "We are all River Hawks"

Comment

Originally posted by UMLKLB View Post
                          I am 6 4' and 198 myself and not very intimidating really. I guess it is more impressive on the ice and especially between the pipes.....versus my office haha.
                          Eat dead animals and lift heavy weights
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Any Vermont fans going to the game tonight, stop by the Beerworks prior to the game and say hi. I'll be wearing the old Lowell red sweater, standing at the bar.

Edit: Never mind, forgot we received new replicas. It'll be a blue replica (very fake replica)...
                            Last edited by UMLFan; 10-12-2012, 08:33 AM.
                            Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              Any Vermont fans going to the game tonight, stop by the Beerworks prior to the game and say hi. I'll be wearing the old Lowell red sweater, standing at the bar.

Edit: Never mind, forgot we received new replicas. It'll be a blue replica (very fake replica)...
                              I will likely never wear the replica... ..
                              UML 2007 B.S. Meteorology, 2012 M.S. Meteorology

2013 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
                              2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
                              2017 Hockey East Tournament Champions.

http://storm.uml.edu
                              https://twitter.com/umlweatherman

Comment

Originally posted by UMLWeatherman View Post
                                I will likely never wear the replica... ..
                                I'd sooner buy the $90 one on the hockey east shop.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X