This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    FWIW, I counted grade-A chances as 28-10 in Lowell's favor based on the shot charts the media got.
    Still don't know hockey or reading comprehension, eh?
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Re: Boston College '12-'13: Gaudreaubey Baker

I see progress in lines 3 and 4. They may not light the lamp a lot, but those kids can play some serious D. Dyroff laid out some big hits last night.
      Eagles are in defensive mode right now. We played a Merrimack type game plan last night. Surround the goalkeeper, keep opponent shots on the perimeter. BC hunkering down in the D zone, everyone working their butts off. Take advantage of an opportunities.
      FWIW... I saw more Grade A's from BC than Lowell.
      A Lowell power play was a BC advantage.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Is that how "grade A" chances are determined? By a shot chart? I honestly don't know. 28 seems a little unrealistic though. I don't know if they're always tracked, but I figured someone simply determined that by watching the game rather than the shot chart.
        It's definitely not perfect, but not every team tracks them and the ones that do don't make it available to the media. I don't count every chance as it happens because I'm usually busy with other stuff, so the shot chart is the next best thing. Generally if you're attempting a shot from below the faceoff dots, it's a pretty quality chance. It probably ends up a little bit inflated, but it ends up inflated for both teams. Another problem is that some schools aren't very good at placing shots where they actually happened- sometimes they'll have one at the top of the circles when it was actually from the hashes. But Lowell is usually pretty good in that respect.

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        i sure as hell dont track 'em but seemed to me, BC had more and i didnt think it was debatable . Milner made a slew of them up close and though there were many, none made me say, Milner really robbed 'em. FL, 28 out of 38 UML shots were grade A chances ?. I suppose because they are close they are grade A.........BC's two best in the first and 2 best by either team in the first IMO, Hayes in all alone and a stuff shot by Gaudreau at the corner of the net both missed the net
        Grade-A's are shots attempted, not just shots on goal. So some of them could get blocked or go wide. That said, 22 of Lowell's 38 shots on goal did come from below the faceoff dots.

edit: ok, i just read FL's article , you really think that was "perhaps Milner's best game of his career"?? really?
        Yes. Anyways, was just trying to be helpful. I guess we just saw the game differently. I thought 28-10 was pretty indicative of what I saw.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
          Grade-A's are shots attempted, not just shots on goal. So some of them could get blocked or go wide. That said, 22 of Lowell's 38 shots on goal did come from below the faceoff dots.Yes. Anyways, was just trying to be helpful. I guess we just saw the game differently. I thought 28-10 was pretty indicative of what I saw.
          I saw a lot of Lowell shots down low, but there were 3-4 pairs of legs between the shooter and the net. Not many Grade A's IMO.
          Did you count the BC shot that actually went in the net, but Gravellass blew an early whistle?
          Hell, BC had 10 on the penalty kill.
          Last edited by FiveHole12; 10-27-2012, 07:27 AM.
          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
            I see progress in lines 3 and 4. They may not light the lamp a lot, but those kids can play some serious D. Dyroff laid out some big hits last night.

A Lowell power play was a BC advantage.
            Was thinking the same thing. Dyroff played physical and that fourth line was active.

PK has been phenomenal

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              Eagles are in defensive mode right now. We played a Merrimack type game plan last night. Surround the goalkeeper, keep opponent shots on the perimeter. BC hunkering down in the D zone, everyone working their butts off.
              Absolutely,I thought same. Perhaps Jerry thinks this team will struggle at times scoring so maybe we will see a lot of this which would really be strange for us

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                Anyways, was just trying to be helpful. I guess we just saw the game differently. I thought 28-10 was pretty indicative of what I saw.
                no problem, thanks for the explanations above

Comment

Absolutely,I thought same. Perhaps Jerry thinks this team will struggle at times scoring so maybe we will see a lot of this which would really be strange for us
                  Right now the lines seem to be struggling a bit getting in psynch, IMO. First line is closest to clicking, but I think they can be much more fluid than they are now. The defensive game is BC's best shot at winning right now and it's working. Heck, Parker Milner may set a record for shutouts at this pace.

It's not as fun as watching a wide open offensive attack, but winning doesn't suck.

Comment

The first line is absolutely spectacular. Mullane + 4 so far, Whitney + 4, Johnny G + 3. Not only do they create a bunch of chances when out there, they do a good job keeping the other teams first lines off the scoreboard. Hayes and Arnold playing well is huge for this team. Hopefully, Linell-Sit-Smith can start scoring but they have continued to play better hockey I think.

Comment

That is correct, they lost a lot of offensive depth and it will take time for guys to step it up else they have to play defensive hockey to win games this year. Kreider himself would draw 2 players just to cover him leaving BC options in the offensive zone.
                      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

I didn't see the game, so I don't know who had more grade "A" chances. I just think saying 28 is pretty generous.

Great article from WEEI posted above.

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                          That is correct, they lost a lot of offensive depth and it will take time for guys to step it up else they have to play defensive hockey to win games this year. Kreider himself would draw 2 players just to cover him leaving BC options in the offensive zone.
                          BC still has more high-end talent up front than most teams, so while they may not have quite the depth that they've had the past few years, I really don't see it being an "Achilles heel" for them. Next year could be a different story though, especially if they lose some guys early (Arnold, Gadreau, Hayes, etc), as they won't have many talented underclassmen around to fill the void. Obviously some of the Freshmen could start contributing right away (Fitz, Cangelosi, etc), but we could be very thin on returning talent up front.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHockeyfan View Post
                            The first line is absolutely spectacular. Mullane + 4 so far, Whitney + 4, Johnny G + 3. Not only do they create a bunch of chances when out there, they do a good job keeping the other teams first lines off the scoreboard.
                            Given that they have played 3 road games, they probably aren't seeing much of the other teams' top lines. But it is impressive from a purely offensive standpoint with other teams being able to match up their top defensive players on this line with the last change in the 3 road games BC has played so far.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Here's a prediction:
                              Brooks Dyroff will score 8 goals this season.
                              Call me crazy, but he's looking very confident out there. He came oh-so-close to potting his first last night.

Comment

I will take you up on that offer and call you crazy

Pretty cool for him though to finally get his shot as a senior. Anything he provides would be a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                                X