This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part 1: Pocket Protectors and Hockey Sticks

Just checking back in-we had no power until this late last night and no cable or internet of any kind until about 2 hours ago. Not sure if either will remain on. Jenny and i are fine. We burned about 3 cords of wood in the fireplace for warmth and pioneer Jen cooked in the fireplace (to tell the truth the food was phenomenal that way). We were totally prepared for the storm and were fortunate to not get flooded (we moved all the cars a day before to higher ground). The water did come to within 20 feet of the house. Honestly, do not understand the long outages since the highest gust we measure was about 65mph and only about 3 inches of rain but this area was totally out and only 1/2 recovered. Biggest problem is gasoline. There just plain isnt any and if you wait on line for 4 hours you burn up more than the 5 gallons they will let you have. We would have packed up the cats and gone to the Adirondacks but they do not travel well, we were not sure if we could get enough gas to get back, and the alarm system battery back up here quit after about 12 hours.

On a worse note-two hockey friends saw both the Union games and reported back to us. Thoroughly disgusted with results. Not seeing them myself i have no clue where to lay the blame but I must say that it certainly is not the talent level. Laliberte, Neal, Haggerty, Kasdorf, Bailen, Curadi, Leonard, Bubela, and several others could play for any NCAA team in the country. Union is a very good team-but they are not an 11-5 goals better team than us in two games. Once again special teams determined these games. Union had 4 PP and one SH Saturday. You cannot ever give up 5 special teams goals in a game just like you cannot lose 2 consecutive 2 goal third period leads as we did before. I am not smart enough to know the answers but i sure see what problems exist. Jen and i are RPI fans forever. Hopefully someone has some answers since we both believe this team has just too much talent to get beaten this way. Go Red!! and it sure is great to be back here with all you guys.(Not sure for how long as there is a noreaster predicted this week
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Just checking back in-we had no power until this late last night and no cable or internet of any kind until about 2 hours ago. Not sure if either will remain on. Jenny and i are fine. We burned about 3 cords of wood in the fireplace for warmth and pioneer Jen cooked in the fireplace (to tell the truth the food was phenomenal that way). We were totally prepared for the storm and were fortunate to not get flooded (we moved all the cars a day before to higher ground). The water did come to within 20 feet of the house. Honestly, do not understand the long outages since the highest gust we measure was about 65mph and only about 3 inches of rain but this area was totally out and only 1/2 recovered. Biggest problem is gasoline. There just plain isnt any and if you wait on line for 4 hours you burn up more than the 5 gallons they will let you have. We would have packed up the cats and gone to the Adirondacks but they do not travel well, we were not sure if we could get enough gas to get back, and the alarm system battery back up here quit after about 12 hours.

On a worse note-two hockey friends saw both the Union games and reported back to us. Thoroughly disgusted with results. Not seeing them myself i have no clue where to lay the blame but I must say that it certainly is not the talent level. Laliberte, Neal, Haggerty, Kasdorf, Bailen, Curadi, Leonard, Bubela, and several others could play for any NCAA team in the country. Union is a very good team-but they are not an 11-5 goals better team than us in two games. Once again special teams determined these games. Union had 4 PP and one SH Saturday. You cannot ever give up 5 special teams goals in a game just like you cannot lose 2 consecutive 2 goal third period leads as we did before. I am not smart enough to know the answers but i sure see what problems exist. Jen and i are RPI fans forever. Hopefully someone has some answers since we both believe this team has just too much talent to get beaten this way. Go Red!! and it sure is great to be back here with all you guys.(Not sure for how long as there is a noreaster predicted this week
      Glad you're back and everything's okay!

Union just seems to get in our heads. However, before Curadi's major and our implosion yesterday I did notice that it was mainly Union starting stuff after the whistle, and we were doing a better job than on Friday of not retaliating. After their first breakaway goal Saturday, we seemed to panic whenever one of their players had a bit too much time and space, and just leave him up to the goalie. Their fourth or fifth (ouch) goal deflected in off Merriam's arm-he got a piece but not enough. I think we need better communication between the skaters and the goalie-regardless of who was in net yesterday there were too many times where no one knew who was going to play the puck and no one seemed to want to touch it, so Union would take it and the goalie would have to scramble to make a save.

Our powerplay strategy seems a bit different this year. I think the 4 forwards-1 d is fairly typical, though I haven't been watching RPI long enough either to tell definitively. We seem to be trying to cycle more to start the powerplay, however we still inevitably fall back into guys picking their spots and trying to find the perfect shot. We need to keep the puck moving, keep the other team from being able to set up an effective kill. Also, if I've picked up on how we're running the PP (and I noticed the trend after maybe the second Ferris State game) other teams probably will as well-need to keep it sharp.

Comment

Welcome back Doc. Glad to hear that you avoided a flood and any personal injury.
        This team needs a "shrink", simple as that. I was at the Friday game and it was easy to see that Union is in their heads.
        They want so badly to show that they can beat the dutchmen that they forget to play as a team. And once Union scores, it takes them at least three shifts to get back on track. They can't relax when they play Union, and the only way they will ever beat them is when they relax.(can you say catch 22).
        I look for a big bounce back next weekend when they can play their game and not worry about a team that they haven't beaten in the last 10 tries.
        Dartmouth and Harvard won't be easy, but we will play them tough. JMO
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Glad to hear you and Jen are safe!

Comment

Union barn is a joke
            Idiots left Zamboni door open whole second period
            It was nice to meet 1 of without a peer bloggers
            5-5 we can play with any team I believe
            Schroeder has a fractured wrist bad news

refs are bad and it's not gonna get better
            Play kasdorf, this better not be Lange over York round 2
            We need assistant captains if our captains going 10 min misc every game
            Good dinner at Katie obyrnes after game
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
              That is bad news indeed.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Best news all weekend. fantastic
                Last edited by AspyDad; 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

They did that for the third period last year in our second playoff game there...they have to get the ice to freeze somehow!
                  Yikes...when did that happen? I didn't particularly notice him not on the ice at any point...although honestly by the third I kind of stopped paying attention to who did what, I was just praying we wouldn't do anything else stupid.
                  Was kind of surprised no penalties were handed out for a few of the scrums there at the end...sure, they would have mostly evened out between the teams, but it got bad and people should have been sent to the box.
                  Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a start this weekend...although he hasn't faced super heavy competition, he's done well so far
                  Maybe the team knows who they are, they just aren't publicly wearing letters? People have obviously been designated, someone had to talk to the refs when CJ was in the box...

Comment

Let us assume Union is a top 10 team. MSU just beat the number two team in the land. The Engineers out shot MSU in the first game. RPI out shot Union in the first game and ran into a great goalie. Tied and lost to MSU scored one goal less in their house on a weekend far from home. Engineers were 2 for 6 on power plays in the first game at MSU.
                    RPI played one really bad game in these four.
                    By the way when Seth talks about maturity level he is talking about a players experience in competition at this level. Age has nothing to do with it. The way a player carries himself off the ice and with the press is not an indication of what a player will do when they face a certain situation on the ice.
                    A mature player takes the slash and watches his opponent go to the box. He doesn't follow him in. A mature player plays the same way for the whole game. He doesn't loose focus for 2 or 3 shifts. That,s what SA is dealing with right now.

Comment

Doc -- So VERY glad to hear you, Jennie and the animals are OK !!! Having seen coverage of the damage in your area, I was worried. Thanks for checking in. By the way, you missed a VERY good weekend not to have power. Uggh.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I'm so nauseated by the weekend, I'm going to keep this brief and then likely will simply lurk the rest of the week. My head will explode if I am forced to regurgitate the events of the weekend. My thoughts, as simple and brief as I am able.... (repeated for emphasis):

You cannot beat Union when you are in the box half the night.

Lather, rinse and repeat.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          Doc -- So VERY glad to hear you, Jennie and the animals are OK !!! Having seen coverage of the damage in your area, I was worried. Thanks for checking in. By the way, you missed a VERY good weekend not to have power. Uggh.
                          Ralph filled me in and warned me not to even read through the score threads. We are fine. Some tension and some inconvenience but we are both old school. You do whatever is necessary and you prepare best you can. I will say this though-I will never ever live without a fireplace and i will never ever do without one landline phone.
                          Last edited by DrDemento; 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Union barn is a joke
                            It was nice to meet 1 of without a peer bloggers
                            5-5 we can play with any team I believe

Good dinner at Katie obyrnes after game
                            OK. I'm going to say this one time and one time only. DO NOT, and I repeat DOOOOO NOOOOT, EVER report something about a player's health that you think you know. #1...it's probably wrong. #2...if you happen to be a blind squirrel with a nut, don't go and tell the blogosphere what's wrong with a player; you paint a target on his back. Shut your mouth when you don't have the facts. He's not hurt but you painted his wrist with a laser...incoming.

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                              OK. I'm going to say this one time and one time only. DO NOT, and I repeat DOOOOO NOOOOT, EVER report something about a player's health that you think you know. #1...it's probably wrong. #2...if you happen to be a blind squirrel with a nut, don't go and tell the blogosphere what's wrong with a player; you paint a target on his back. Shut your mouth when you don't have the facts. He's not hurt but you painted his wrist with a laser...incoming.
                              Babo, I know we may go after people that post misinformation, but one thing I've learned about rvd5star69 is that, despite the rep and questionable English language conventions, he's hardly wrong when it comes to content.

Comment

Back from the contest; sounds like I picked a good game to miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X