X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    Btw, nice shout out e.cat!
    Thanks. Only true hockey fans would appreciate that.

I appreciate your historical perspective. I graduated in '73.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
      As we sat in the locker room after that loss, as BU files past our door to their locker room, one of their player's yelled, " yea, *#~%* you, Year of the Cat!", which was the #1 song of that year from Al Stewart.....the things we remember.
      That's pretty funny, I was sitting in the 2nd balcony that night with my "YEAR OF THE CAT" banner
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I don't think it is not getting up for games or even an effort problem. I think it comes down to 3 things 1) system, 2) poor situational awareness and 3) as a subset of #2 dumb plays. I separate 2 and 3 as I see them differently but they are both based on same problem dumb plays.

1) SYSTEM - UNH clearly doesn't practice or play a system of hockey that can win tight games. It is almost as if "dirty" goals don't count. I think that is why they seem to have a harder time scoring goals in a scrum in front of the net. It just feels like UNH is worse than any other teams at getting there sticks on pucks and getting them in the net. Additionally some teams (BU always seems able) to lift the puck in close to get it under the cross bar and hard for the goalie especially with the butterfly to just take away.

The second system issue is in panic throwing the puck around the boards in the D-zone. The puck moves so fast the other D-man or winger can't get to it before the teams D-man. See everybody knows this and are ready for it. UNH looked earlier in the year to be coming up the "center" of the ice in the D zone on a fairly regular basis to not be so predictable and yet at the end of the year they have reverted to up the boards which pins them in zone.

2) SITUATIONAL AWARENESS - UNH never seems to understand who is on the ice. You take chances against the other teams forth you wouldn't against there first. An example from the Maine game is on Diamonds 2nd goal, when UNH got out of position on the boards by the Maine bench. In this case UNH is leading and there is no need to be overly aggressive, just play smart.

Or fundamentally understanding you cannot lose a clean defensive zone draw, and in that case a tie up is not a problem. Maine scored goals off clean faceoff wins when the shot back through the mass of players can get by a screened goalie or tipped.

3) JUST DUMB PLAYS - My current whipping boy is Hardowa. He has had a series of really dumb plays spanning back 2 months. Some have bit UNH some have been narrowly avoided. Most are errors at the blueline and as of late they are getting worse. Hardowa has over played the offensive blue line leading to break aways and goals by Maine and Vermont in just the last 3 weeks. Sometimes it is better to play safe than to over play particularly in a tight or playoff type game. Also against Maine a dumb play at the offensive blue line lead to a 3 on 1 that somehow didn't score. Hardowa had the puck and was breaking up the Maine bench side; UNH line changed in process and had a 4 on 4 heading in at the blueline. Hardowa decided to pass toward the center ice just after crossing the blueline the pass was parallel to the blue line. Maine tips it to center ice and is breaking the other way. Dumb situational hockey, if you can see 3 other white shirts with you that means one back, that puck has to keep moving deeper into the zone even if a dump in.

Sometimes aggressive blue line play is needed, when behind or on the power play, or when a forward is very high in the offensive zone to cover. But when leading by 2 goals in a playoff game, fall back and play smart.

The players have to execute all 3 but the coaches have to get these issues into the player’s heads. As a team you have to get smarter all year not dumber. UNH has a history of these 3 issues and the coaching is what is consistent. That is what this staff needs to figure out how to fix. Early in the year UNH was doing all the little things right = smart hockey, but the longer the season goes the dumber they get.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          I don't think it is not getting up for games or even an effort problem. I think it comes down to 3 things 1) system, 2) poor situational awareness and 3) as a subset of #2 dumb plays. I separate 2 and 3 as I see them differently but they are both based on same problem dumb plays.

1) SYSTEM - UNH clearly doesn't practice or play a system of hockey that can win tight games. It is almost as if "dirty" goals don't count. I think that is why they seem to have a harder time scoring goals in a scrum in front of the net. It just feels like UNH is worse than any other teams at getting there sticks on pucks and getting them in the net. Additionally some teams (BU always seems able) to lift the puck in close to get it under the cross bar and hard for the goalie especially with the butterfly to just take away.

The second system issue is in panic throwing the puck around the boards in the D-zone. The puck moves so fast the other D-man or winger can't get to it before the teams D-man. See everybody knows this and are ready for it. UNH looked earlier in the year to be coming up the "center" of the ice in the D zone on a fairly regular basis to not be so predictable and yet at the end of the year they have reverted to up the boards which pins them in zone.

2) SITUATIONAL AWARENESS - UNH never seems to understand who is on the ice. You take chances against the other teams forth you wouldn't against there first. An example from the Maine game is on Diamonds 2nd goal, when UNH got out of position on the boards by the Maine bench. In this case UNH is leading and there is no need to be overly aggressive, just play smart.

Or fundamentally understanding you cannot lose a clean defensive zone draw, and in that case a tie up is not a problem. Maine scored goals off clean faceoff wins when the shot back through the mass of players can get by a screened goalie or tipped.

3) JUST DUMB PLAYS - My current whipping boy is Hardowa. He has had a series of really dumb plays spanning back 2 months. Some have bit UNH some have been narrowly avoided. Most are errors at the blueline and as of late they are getting worse. Hardowa has over played the offensive blue line leading to break aways and goals by Maine and Vermont in just the last 3 weeks. Sometimes it is better to play safe than to over play particularly in a tight or playoff type game. Also against Maine a dumb play at the offensive blue line lead to a 3 on 1 that somehow didn't score. Hardowa had the puck and was breaking up the Maine bench side; UNH line changed in process and had a 4 on 4 heading in at the blueline. Hardowa decided to pass toward the center ice just after crossing the blueline the pass was parallel to the blue line. Maine tips it to center ice and is breaking the other way. Dumb situational hockey, if you can see 3 other white shirts with you that means one back, that puck has to keep moving deeper into the zone even if a dump in.

Sometimes aggressive blue line play is needed, when behind or on the power play, or when a forward is very high in the offensive zone to cover. But when leading by 2 goals in a playoff game, fall back and play smart.

The players have to execute all 3 but the coaches have to get these issues into the player’s heads. As a team you have to get smarter all year not dumber. UNH has a history of these 3 issues and the coaching is what is consistent. That is what this staff needs to figure out how to fix. Early in the year UNH was doing all the little things right = smart hockey, but the longer the season goes the dumber they get.
          Good analysis JB. The only thing I would add is that DeSmith needs to step up and make some saves in key situations. Truth be told that tie Saturday is on him IMHO There have been some glaring softies IMO

Comment

I agree e.cat, Saturday is on DeSmith....Maine had to have Friday and they took it...UNH needed Saturday, had a 3-1 lead and wimped out....I'll save DeSmith on the 2nd Diamond goal. All a defenseman had to do was close on the brat and hit him instead of giving him time and room to go across the zone!
            So now we play on the small ice surface, same as Manchester, and win a few.....no biggie!

Comment

I agree e.cat, Saturday is on DeSmith....Maine had to have Friday and they took it...UNH needed Saturday, had a 3-1 lead and wimped out....I'll save DeSmith on the 2nd Diamond goal. All a defenseman had to do was close on the brat and hit him instead of giving him time and room to go across the zone!
              So now we play on the small ice surface, same as Manchester, and win a few.....no biggie!
              a big IF , we steal two in Prov, will move back to forth in Pwr...

Comment

Wasn't that the Diamond 1st goal? Or am I getting my 8 goals given up to Maine on the weekend confused now. As for that goal in the UNH d system it is clear the D fall back and Diamond cutting across the zone should have been the trailing center’s (or forward) responsibility, it was a 3 on 3 as the trailer had made it in zone. Whatever night that goal was it was in the 2nd period as it was shooting at my end of the ice (UNH Ox2 zone)...

UNH has had a fair amount of systemic stupidity or stubbornness over the years. In the 2008? Championship game against BC when UNH was up 3 or 4, well BC switched their D coverage. BC played less of a hard forecheck more of a trap and took the outlet up the boards away. UNH was too stubborn or stupid to adjust the rest of the game. There have been many other cases.

Somehow UNH needs to learn to use the regular season to find ways to practice situations in game for use later in the year. This year PC, MC, VT, and Maine all played similar styles against UNH and effectively. I would have no problem throwing away a game or a few to develop an in game system to play against that style team. Heck loose in the quarters to figure it out, just figure it out.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Yup, agree with you on the Diamond/Brat goal.

I thought I was the only one on here that it's no biggie going down to Providence and win a few Zoofer, but I have good company

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                    a big IF , we steal two in Prov, will move back to forth in Pwr...
                    Has anyone given thought , that playing on a large sheet of ice for the whole season can develope bad habits. Watching UNH skate at home ice I dont see any spark unless there down a goal or two with a minute to play .
                    Early in the season they play a different style ( every season ) . When you play on a large sheet it can become less skating and more passing ( puck moves faster than skates) You adventualy ( or inadvertently ) adapt to this style much like developing bad habits in a golf swing , they slowly creep in and before you know it your %^&$ed. I constantly see the forwards beating UNH defense to the puck on dump ins , and watching the opposing team gain control of the puck .
                    In transition UNH loves to slow the play down in there own end and move from there passing back and forth Behind our net ( it doesnt lead to odd man rushes) , I like puck control as a philosphy but it does have its limitations ... at the whitt it can breed lazyness and develope into nasty habits. These are observations I could be way off ..

Comment

The first goal is more on the D, the second Diamond/Brat goal is more on DeSmith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vos5l...Sar_7g&index=6

Comment

Ya, I actually think also gettin' out of town might help them, especially DeSmith. He may be feeling the pressure playing at home in front of hometown(Rochester) fans.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          In the 2008? Championship game against BC when UNH was up 3 or 4
                          Yes to '08 and 3 (it was 4-1), but pretty sure it was the Semi (BC beat Vermont? the following night)
                          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Quote from Jack Parker at his retirement press conference: "School has to want you to win and be behind you." No excuses for this year's UNH fade, but it does provide perspective.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                              Has anyone given thought , that playing on a large sheet of ice for the whole season can develope bad habits.
                              Building the Whit with the large ice sheet was the singular worse decision ever made in regards to the history of UNH ice hockey. St. Cloud and Colorado College are similarly afflicted.

Comment

Also, the only coach that Parker phoned before today? Dick Umile.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X