• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

weak all around.

Comment

Beating UNH is simple now:

1- pack the center of the ice, UNH isn't tough enough to effectively go in there
      2- keep 3 guys back so no odd man rushes, make UNH play a hard 1/2 ice game
      3- be patent for UNH to do something stupid, like Hardowa to make a bad decision at offensive blueline, 3 guys chasing 1, lazy defensive play leading to a wrap around
      4- little extra practice on faceoffs, UNH sucks at them so not much is needed
      5- score the 1st goal so you can do more of 1-4

Play a 1-0 game plan and UNH will give the game to you. It is sad it is so obvious and the UNH coaches can't see it or get through to the players. It has been the same over and over since Christmas and it is tournament hockey.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post

1- pack the center of the ice, UNH isn't tough enough to effectively go in there
        3- be patent for UNH to do something stupid, like Hardowa to make a bad decision at offensive blueline, 3 guys chasing 1, lazy defensive play leading to a wrap around

Play a 1-0 game plan and UNH will give the game to you. It is sad it is so obvious and the UNH coaches can't see it or get through to the players. It has been the same over and over since Christmas and it is tournament hockey.
        6 - do not worry about taking penalties, as UNH power play is anemic, although they did get one late last night.

The question earlier about how UNH could be ranked so highly in the PWR can be answered by their excellent play the first two months of the season when they picked lots of PWR points against teams like St Cloud, UML, and BU. That UNH team has not been seen the past three months. I think that we will know after the first 5-10 minutes of the game tonight the fate of the team this season.

Comment

7. How many times does the opponents forwards beat unh to the puck on dump ins..

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Have to admit a lot of this unfortunately rings true. #3 alone put them behind the 8-ball, AND sealed their fate when a comeback briefly seemed to be on the cards after the first UNH goal.

Funny thing is, after the wraparound 4th UMaine goal, I turned to my daughter and said out loud "UNH will score two late goals now that won't mean anything", maybe with the Providence home debacle still too fresh in my memory. She now thinks I'm clairvoyant. I told her I've seen this movie before.

VERY disappointing effort. In fact, I think UNH showed more fight after the final buzzer than they did for the full 60 minutes combined.

Yes, I'm sure they will win this afternoon. The pressure is off. Thank goodness UML and Providence being where they are prevents the 'Cats from winning the RS title outright. IF they somehow get a 1/3 or 1/4 share after the top 2 tie, will anyone really think anything has been accomplished or attained here??

Home ice or not, I have serious concerns about this team even making it to Boston in two weekends. Regardless of who they play.

As always, as Charlie Brown charges forward to kick the football he is 99% sure Lucy will pull away before he boots it, I live in naive yet optimistic hope this will be that 1% chance that things go the right way. It's how I am wired, and I suspect many of my fellow UNH fans feel the same way.

"Puck luck" and other rationalizations only go so far in explaining this stuff ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              I think that we will know after the first 5-10 minutes of the game tonight the fate of the team this season.
              Why tonight's game, Snively? Really, what's the significance?? UMaine took care of their business last night. UNH couldn't handle it.

The last-minute rally last night was just a mirage that keeps us coming back for more. Of course, the fact that a young and relatively inexperienced UMaine squad mentally checked out with an assured win after their 4th goal had nothing to do with it. Anyone buying that last bit ... please contact me ASAP, as I have some deeded wetlands on the back 40 of the WIS Estate to sell you.

It may not be February 2nd, but it sure does feel like Groundhog's Day in Durham this morning.

Comment

well, I knew Maine would give us fits but I thought wrongly that Umile would have the boys ready. It's more and more evident to me that these are still just kids with somewhat fragile psyches. Maine blew in like a Nor'easter and secured themselves a playoff spot. Credit to them.

Tonight the pressure is on UNH to secure home ice. I'm hoping they respond and carry that late surge momentum into tonight's game. GO CATS!! take it to them right from the get go.
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Piels25 View Post
                  First post in a long time from this guy....here goes.

While I appreciate the game reviews from C-H-C, I think they have to be taken with a grain of salt as they are clearly taken through "blue-colored" glasses if you will. Having been at both games Friday and Saturday, I don't think the 'Cats played nearly as well on Friday as the blog would indicate, and much of their poor defensive zone play that they got away with vs. NU at Matthews came back to bite them on Saturday vs. Merrimack.

UNH was bad all weekend, borderline awful, in their own defensive zone....witness the 47 shots that NU had Friday night. Many of those were a result of UNH defensemen trying to do too much with the puck individually, not making the easy pass, or just failing to clear. Some credit goes to the NU forecheck, but UNH shot themselves in the foot many times. While Merrimack did not have nearly as many shots on Saturday, it was a similar story. Case in point - late in the 1st period Goumas has plenty of time to make a breakout pass up the left wing or clear the puck, instead takes too much time, gets his pocket picked, and takes a bad hooking call as a result. Merrimack did not capitalize on that PP, but that turnover and penalty was the Wildcats weekend in a nutshell.

As I said, UNH was able to make up for the poor defensive play on Friday with some timely goals and a strong effort from DeSmith, but they did not dominate NU, and it was clearly the opposite on Saturday. I can't fault DeSmith for the loss as the UNH defense just hung him out too many times. Lack of scoring has suddenly become a problem for the Wildcats, as Darien pointed out - too many chances went begging on Saturday, and if they can't right the ship defensively they are going to need a lot of 4, 5, and 6 goal games down the stretch.

I know it's just two games, but I didn't like what I saw this weekend. Back-to-back home losses (at the Whitt) against Providence and Merrimack just doesn't sit well, especially at this point of the season. Hope to see them bounce back this weekend with a home-and-home against Providence and pray they're not looking ahead to Boston College the following weekend at Chestnut Hill.
                  The quote above is my post from February 4, 2013 (#558). Like Chuck and others, those of us that have been around awhile have seen this movie before.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    Tonight the pressure is on UNH to secure home ice. I'm hoping they respond and carry that late surge momentum into tonight's game. GO CATS!! take it to them right from the get go.
                    OK I have an idea here ... instead of the "White Out" stuff (that's SO 1999 BTW), how's about we ask fans to come dressed in Halloween costumes, with pumpkins and Jack O'Lanterns, or even as pilgrims with their Thanksgiving Day turkey on display? Might convince the boys it's their time of the season again, and prompt a return to form. Get rid of all of the snow outside, spread some foliage, and let's get this show on the road for REAL ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      OK I have an idea here ... instead of the "White Out" stuff (that's SO 1999 BTW), how's about we ask fans to come dressed in Halloween costumes, with pumpkins and Jack O'Lanterns, or even as pilgrims with their Thanksgiving Day turkey on display? Might convince the boys it's their time of the season again, and prompt a return to form. Get rid of all of the snow outside, spread some foliage, and let's get this show on the road for REAL ...
                      Ya, or how bout Tim Churchard work some sports psycology magic. You know like, hey boys, "this isn't just some throw away game up in Rochester" it's Maine ferrchrissakes and we're playing for home ice!! Come on

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Ya, or how bout Tim Churchard work some sports psycology magic. You know like, hey boys, "this isn't just some throw away game up in Rochester" it's Maine ferrchrissakes and we're playing for home ice!! Come on
                        Just the mere mention of Rochester gives me these nasty PTSD flashbacks about the 2010 NCAA's.

Tough being a UNH fan. All these nasty obstacles, and no apparent solutions ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Just the mere mention of Rochester gives me these nasty PTSD flashbacks about the 2010 NCAA's.

Lol!

Tough being a UNH fan....
                          Yup and I ain't gettin' any younger!!

Comment

I know I like to look at the glass being half-full, so imagine that we're fans of Michigan, CC, Wisconsin, UMD....despite the fact that we seem to end every year as Deja Vu, at least we are in the picture year in, year out...not a simple thing to do....I'm as ****ed as you all but at least we're still in a position to do something...hopefully " the Sleeper has awakened"

Comment

Btw, nice shout out e.cat!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                                ...hopefully " the Sleeper has awakened"
                                I think the sleeper has narcolepsy ...

Comment

Working...