X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Pretty hard to...UMass is a REALLY bad team
    At least you didn't lose to a team like Harvard like we did tonight.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Ok, we have one of those 7 points.......now we just need to win the final three games.......so, DeSmith kept the Cats in the game tonight?
      New unh all too well, sad performance umas was the better team again.they have nothing to lose and out hustled our team.....i exspect better from unh otherwise they got no shot..the scary thing unh is a lock for ncaa.lol

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Unh however does or can play up to there potential when backs are against the wall, there against the wall ...win out and they are hockey east champs...so will have to put aside my negative attitude and have faith....its hard thou when there listless , having blown an opportunity .....but...that goal with 3 seconds left might pan out to being a good omen
        Last edited by unh1982; 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
          Unh however does or can play up to there potential when backs are against the wall, there against the wall ...win out and they are hockey east champs...so will have to put aside my negative attitude and have faith....its hard thou when there listless , having blown an opportunity .....but...that goal with 3 seconds left might pan out to being a good omen
          I see two ways to look at your last sentence fragment:

1. Sure, scoring a goal with 3.7 secs left to tie the game means that this team can come back.
          Or,
          2. Why were their backs up against a wall to begin with? Playing for first place, on your home ice, against a team that beat you in OT earlier in the season? (yet another game in which their play was questioned.)

Needing to tie the game with 3.7 secs left in a game is not a good strategy for success; it's a sign of desperation.

BC, BU, UML, heck even Maine found a way to win tonight on their home ice. I was at the UML-MC game tonight, so I didn't watch the UNH game. My hoping for a better result led to the silly expectation of a better result. I hope that the game spins more in the Cats' favor on Saturday. And next weekend, there is a Maine teamm who at the moment is fighting for playoff survival. Those 2 games won't be automatic Ws for UNH.
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

attendance 4805? what the heck is going on up there?

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              Folks were resting up for today's big gymnastics quad meet.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

UNH could use some of Jacob Micflikier's scoring touch:

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  UNH could use some of Jacob Micflikier's scoring touch:

What's up with those uni's? The designer must have had a bad LSD trip when designing those
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Give credit to UMASS. That was a hard fought game last night. Both teams expended a lot of energy in regulation and were gassed in the OT. As I said earlier it wasn't going to be a cake walk for UNH in these games and that proved out last night. UNH does what they have to do and wins tonight though.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                      Unh however does or can play up to there potential when backs are against the wall, there against the wall ...win out and they are hockey east champs...
                      Since they are a point behind Lowell and BC with no extra games to play, how can they win Hockey East by winning out? Don't they need UML or BC to lose a game?
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                        Zoofer, I usually like what you have to say. Given that, UNH has choked over the years. Do you believe that Maine, RPI, Minn-Duluth had bigger budgets than UNH? They have all won championships since UNH became relevant. Even tonite they are tied against one of the lowest ranked HE teams at home. Budgets aren't their problem. They don't, and haven't ever, had a killer attitude. See BC.
                        I'd say this one is right on target. Budgets don't win games - players do. This isn't "Moneypuck", or that other stats-driven baseball foolishness. And excuses like "puck luck" or "bad ref calls" are just that - excuses. Winners don't make excuses or look for excuses. You make your own luck.

And for those who might not think dropping a point last night is a big issue - after all, winning out *should* still gets you 7 points and the RS title - guess what ... the two teams you're looking up at right now are BC (most talented team in HE, with best recent big-game history), and UMass-Lowell, which is probably playing the best hockey in the country right now (see 4-2 win @ BC, and 4-0 shutout over Merrimack so far this week). Destiny is now out of UNH's hands, and even if UNH suddenly finds that elusive "killer instinct" and runs the table these next three games, the 'Cats could still end up with no better than a #3 seed, because ...

* IF BC beats Providence at home tonight, they have two very winnable road games @ UVM next weekend. The only way I see them leaving Burlington without a full complement of 4 points next weekend is if they've managed to clinch top seed before the finale. Teams like BC generally know how to take care of their business in these situations. And obviously that's not good news for UNH's hopes for the top spot.

* IF UMass-Lowell beats Merrimack in North Andover tonight, they will then face a Providence team that by then will likely be in 5th/6th place, and theoretically only playing for first-round home ice, whereas UML will be playing for what would be their first HE hardware in program history. Considering how they've turned things around over these last two-plus months, and the experience they gained last season, does anyone think Coach Bazin won't have the Riverhawks ready for any of those games? I know I'm not expecting UML to drop anything from here on out.

And based on how UNH continues to play as the season winds down, the best you can hope for might be 3rd/4th seed and a home playoffs berth against either Providence (0-2-1), Merrimack (1-2-0) or BU (2-1-0). After struggling against the likes of UVM and UMass-Amherst?? Good luck with that, guys.

For what it's worth ... the more I see them play, the more I'm still convinced UNH has overachieved this season, and the talent simply isn't there yet to get them to the next level. So it's hard to be too critical, especially when you do see the effort being put out there. Unfortunately, talent-wise they aren't quite there at the top of the league, and as a fallback, they also don't have enough tough, gritty types to set the tone, consistently win battles for the pucks in the corners and in front of the nets, etc. It's too bad a kid like Burke has been injured so often during his UNH career, as his physical presence does seem to lift them when he's out there. Yet again, DeSmith saved them a point last night. UMass-Amherst looked faster and more organized than UNH for long stretches of the game, and won battles for loose pucks way more than they should have. For tonight's game, UNH simply has to dig deep(er) and find a way to get 2 points, no matter what.

I also want to say that I'm very pleased with the improved play from Eric Knodel, who I gave some fierce criticism to after the first BC game. Not even looking at his offensive production (which again last night was critical - goal and an assist), I'm increasingly impressed with his progress in his own end of the ice, not the least of which saw him "selling out" late in the game to break up a 2-on-1 UMA chance. Very decisive, committed and smart decision, earned huge respect points from me, and he seems to be more committed to taking the body, which given his size and reach should be an increasingly prominent feature in his overall game.

Kudos also to freshmen Ryan Correale and Maxim Gaudreault, a pair of talented kids who scored points for also playing the body further up ice, without taking avoidable penalties. That bodes well for the future, and hopefully there are more in the UNH pipeline who are willing to play the same way.

Now ... here's to hoping the 'Cats find that elusive next gear tonight, catch some breaks elsewhere, and see how things play out next weekend vs. UMaine.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                          Wait 'till the first round of the playoffs...likely won't see anywhere near that many people.

Seriously, that is why I'm hoping to host either Maine or BU...to at least make the quarters somewhat interesting...I've been a fan for decades but I'm not sure I want to pony up upwards of fifty bucks to see a snoozefest with UVM or UMass....
                          Last edited by Felger; 03-02-2013, 09:45 AM.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I can't disagree Scoreboard...what I write and what I say to the TV screen or under my breath when at the Whitt are polar opposites! Unfortunately I've lived it first hand... if you look at the UNH squad of 77 that played the Johnson-Eaves-Norwich Badgers in the NCAA semi's, you'll see a team with some 11future NHL players! How did we end up fourth that year? Team play vs the individual, big game experience, and budget ( when scorers per say are given the better stick vs using the Titans of old because they didn't break)! But yea there is also is Alfie Michaud playing the game of his life in the 99 NCAA NC game....why UNH has been snake bit ****es me off as the next guy but it would be naive to think that a HD 4 sided video scoreboard, and all the acoutrement doesn't help recruit the big names et al...
                            btw thanks for the compliment..

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                              Zoofer, I usually like what you have to say. Given that, UNH has choked over the years. Do you believe that Maine, RPI, Minn-Duluth had bigger budgets than UNH? They have all won championships since UNH became relevant. Even tonite they are tied against one of the lowest ranked HE teams at home. Budgets aren't their problem. They don't, and haven't ever, had a killer attitude. See BC.

There are only two post season games I have seen in person that I would characterize as chokes. I've seen some ugly losses but only two chokes; 1. The 4-0(I think) loss to Michigan(Michigan went on to win it all that year) in the Boston regional in the late nineties and the 7-2 loss to Maine in the NCAA semis in Minneapolis in the ealrly 2000's. I've seen some great wins; 1. The two Hockey East championships against Maine and BU, 2. The win vs. Wisconsin at the Albany regional which UNH went on to win vs BU in an epic game. 3. The NODAK win at the Manchester regional. The loss to Maine in the championship game in Aneheim was a very hard fought game which resulted in a loss for UNH but far from a choke. I would love to see an NC happen for UNH but I would hardly characterize them as chokers. Have they had some ugly losses? Yes but so have other teams. Have they had some great wins? Absolutely!!!

For the record, UNH was relevant long before Maine even had a D-1 team.

Carry on

Comment

And for all you local Wildcat fans who love hockey, come support the women when they play Providence for the 140th meeting! If you love hockey, yes a different style but great athletes for sure, come watch the team give it their all today. You'll enjoy the game and the price is right! Be proud of UNH women's hockey program being the winningest in the NCAA !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X