X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    OK - so I realize a three point weekend on the road at this stage of the season is nothing to sneeze at. That's the "glass half full" argument, and today's tie isn't the end of the world by any stretch. But if there is going to be any realistic hope of this year's postseason being a productive one, this UNH squad needs to be finding ways to WIN games like this one. Find a killer instinct, win their battles consistently, and take it to the opposition. None of that was on display today, and frankly there was no reason for it NOT to be on display AND in spades. It's because of performances like this one that tempers my enthusiasm for the postseason.

As expected, DeSmith was back on his game, and thank goodness for that, because if he wasn't then UVM would (and arguably should) have taken two points. Based on performances like this one, the only way I see UNH having any realistic shot at postseason success this Spring will be if DeSmith puts the team on his back and carries them there himself, a la Chris Terreri circa 1985. It shouldn't have to be this way, but right now I don't see how it happens otherwise.

Realistically, after last season, I'm not sure it's "fair" (yes, that 4-letter F word ) to expect UNH to be poised for post-season success this year. But after a rare year out of the tourney, you want to see them back in it so it remains a baseline expectation for the program, and to ensure that your players get that postseason experience under their belts, as early AND as often in their careers as possible. Let's face it, with last year's post-season "whiff", roughly half of this year's team has no practical experience with real postseason play (not counting the HE first round stuff). And when you see the way they played this afternoon, you can see exactly how that relative lack of experience in contentious, end-of-season games can trip them up when the importance of the games goes up yet another level.

Three point weekends in the "first semester" are great. Three point weekends from January on all depends on who you are playing and where. *Maybe* it's OK on the road against a UVM squad battling to earn a playoffs berth. All I know is it is NOT going to be OK next weekend, with two home games against UMass Amherst and anything short of 4 points tells me that regardless of what happens these next two weekends, this team simply does not have the ability to impose their will, and win when they have to. That stuff just does not emerge out of nowhere when the really important games finally do arrive. Maybe if you're BC, and you have tons of past experience, you have an outside shot at "turning on the switch" against a run of poor form, but in the case of this UNH team, they first need to show us they even know where that "switch" is. I did not see that today (besides from DeSmith) and that's all I really wanted to see. I'm disappointed. JMHO.
    Same story, different season, many more bar bills. The best that I've seen this team play late in the season was actually last year when they were fighting for their lives. Dick always has let the team have time off in December, and they always come back flat, lose confidence, and struggle through the end of the season. I understand that the University's finances makes it difficult to play a road trip, or host a holiday tournament, but it really hurts the team for the second half of the year.
    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
      And were outscored by UVM 4-1 at even strength
      I suppose it's a good thing our PP has been working a bit better of late! It's hard to believe we needed to rely on that being successful, given our dismal rate over the past several years.
      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
        I suppose it's a good thing our PP has been working a bit better of late! It's hard to believe we needed to rely on that being successful, given our dismal rate over the past several years.
        Double check the numbers for this season, despite it being an embarrassing, no movement umbrella, its worked.
        UNH Wildcats

Comment

And thank goodness we aren't going through what BU has been this year! Talk about crash and burn.
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
            Double check the numbers for this season, despite it being an embarrassing, no movement umbrella, its worked.
            Off the top of my head, it started out OK, improved nicely through the end of 2012 (giving us reason to believe that they had finally found their way out of the darkness), then declined until recently improving once more.
            ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
              Off the top of my head, it started out OK, improved nicely through the end of 2012 (giving us reason to believe that they had finally found their way out of the darkness), then declined until recently improving once more.
              Compared to the last few seasons, its like Brady for Bledsoe
              UNH Wildcats

Comment

• Originally posted by goblue View Post
                And thank goodness we aren't going through what BU has been this year! Talk about crash and burn.
                Or, the Michigan Wolverines, the only other team with a longer current string of NCAA post-season visits when UNH crashed and burned last year.

Comment

The suggestion of a premature departure in the post season for UNH is unfounded at this point IMHO. I do think that the HEA tournament is wide open though. My gut feeling is that UNH has a lot more left in the tank as opposed to other years when that tank got sucked dry in the RS. Taking three points from a UVM team fighting for their playoff lives, in their building, coming off a three game win streak is a positive IMO and not a disappointment. We shall see but I think UNH can do some damage in the post season.
                  Last edited by e.cat; 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM. Reason: correction
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                    Same story, different season, many more bar bills. The best that I've seen this team play late in the season was actually last year when they were fighting for their lives. Dick always has let the team have time off in December, and they always come back flat, lose confidence, and struggle through the end of the season. I understand that the University's finances makes it difficult to play a road trip, or host a holiday tournament, but it really hurts the team for the second half of the year.
                    So, does the Dartmouth Tourney this December / January not count?

And not for nothing - the amount of clutch and grab that Vermont plays, it was a credit to UNH they didn't A) get too bogged down and B) retaliate. A lot of borderline hits with elbows and sticks up. Twice on Friday, Camper was hit with a boarding UVM players that could and probably SHOULD have been a 5 minute major.

My biggest concern for them in the Postseason is their legs; if they play a physical team in a 3 game series the 3rd game could be tough. UNH had the will to win Saturday, but were beat up the night before. I know the penalties were heavily in their favor, but there could have been even more if Bunyon and Shea had not reffed the game according to the number of penalties already called.

But they are at least aware of their shortcomings from the weekend, I can tell you that.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

No question that yesterdays game was a snoozefest. There were long stretches when both teams looked like they were disinterested. Lazy passes, heavy legs, meaningless shots from far range seemed to be the norm for a lot of the game. My take is that neither team had full focus because of the start time. You may ask why a difference of three hours is important, but the college hockey player is used to 7 or7:30 starts. When you have a 4PM start, you have to get up earlier, the pre-game meal is at 11 or 12, not 2 or 3, you have to be at the rink at 2 not 5, it all makes a difference I think.

As far as the team's performance, it has been mediocre in the second half, no question. I don't think you can blame it on a long layoff at semester break since, as noted, they played in the Dartmouth tournament. I think the biggest problem is Umile is still trying to figure out line combinations. As a result, there is no offensive continuity. Thankfully the defense has been pretty consistent all year. And although the PK as dropped off a bit and DeSmith has come back to earth, teams still have a hard time scoring on UNH in most games.

Right now UNH is one of six teams that could finish anywhere from first to sixth. Given the fact that they have the easiest schedule the rest of the way, I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't get home ice, and preferably not the third or fourth seed. If there is any year that the lower seeds have a good chance to win it all, this is the year. No a great team in the bunch. The one that wins will be the one that is hottest down the stretch. That's not exactly an earth shattering opinion but the obvious analysis I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

Right now UNH is one of six teams that could finish anywhere from first to sixth. Given the fact that they have the easiest schedule the rest of the way, I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't get home ice, and preferably not the third or fourth seed. If there is any year that the lower seeds have a good chance to win it all, this is the year. No a great team in the bunch. The one that wins will be the one that is hottest down the stretch. That's not exactly an earth shattering opinion but the obvious analysis I'd say.
                        UNH has been ruggedly durable throughout the season, in my opinion. Sure, they performed better in the 1st half than in the 2nd, but they have maintained position on the conference level as well as in the PWR.

Durable doesn't necessarily equate to being hot, however. I'm looking for PC and MC to do some damage in the HE tourney, and good for them, if that's the case. (Aren't we all bored with BC's dominance, their fans excepted?) I hope UNH is in it, but fear a quarterfinal matchup (and on home ice) that doesn't go well for us.

Despite the possibility that UNH may not make it to the Gahden, I think it's fantastic that everything is so wide open now in terms of tourney configurations. It could be the first time since -- when -- forever? that BC, BU, Maine and UNH doesn't field a team in Boston. Perhaps that won't be a good thing in terms of attendance, but for college hockey fans in general who attend the series regardless, it could be quite exciting.
                        ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

"UNH Grabs 3 Points at Vermont"
                          Last edited by C-H-C; 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                            So, does the Dartmouth Tourney this December / January not count?

And not for nothing - the amount of clutch and grab that Vermont plays, it was a credit to UNH they didn't A) get too bogged down and B) retaliate. A lot of borderline hits with elbows and sticks up. Twice on Friday, Camper was hit with a boarding UVM players that could and probably SHOULD have been a 5 minute major.

My biggest concern for them in the Postseason is their legs; if they play a physical team in a 3 game series the 3rd game could be tough. UNH had the will to win Saturday, but were beat up the night before. I know the penalties were heavily in their favor, but there could have been even more if Bunyon and Shea had not reffed the game according to the number of penalties already called.

But they are at least aware of their shortcomings from the weekend, I can tell you that.
                            Face it, Hockey East has become the thug league. Jack Parker kicks a kid off his team weekly, and the play at the Gutt was not clean to say the least. The SMT's better be ready.
                            UNH Wildcats

Comment

Interesting that even if the Cats do not win another regular season or Hockey East tourney game, they will still play a game in Manch, thanks to their early season OOC record. But, I think that the Cats may pick up another 3 or 4 points in the final four games, which should give them home ice in the first round, although I doubt that they will make it to the Garden again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Interesting that even if the Cats do not win another regular season or Hockey East tourney game, they will still play a game in Manch, thanks to their early season OOC record. But, I think that the Cats may pick up another 3 or 4 points in the final four games, which should give them home ice in the first round, although I doubt that they will make it to the Garden again this year.
                                Wow! I thought I was pessimistic....

That stated, I see us picking up 6 points in the final four games, and certainly making it to the Garden. I'm actually (maybe too optimistically) seeing a stretch goal of a HEA RS championship (assuming PC takes one from BC this weekend). Still think a #1 seed in the NCAA's is a bridge too far, since there are no TUC's left for us until the HEA tourney - so we'd probably have to win that.

In summary, then, I'll go out on a limb.... 6 points in next 4 games, #2 seed in HEA tourney, loss in finals to BC in HEA tourney, #2 seed in Manch Vegas.

Fire away.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X