X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    For me, not seeing or listening to Friday’s win made Saturday’s loss seem worse than it was. Excerpts from Al Pike’s Daily Democrat article summarize it well:

"I think we made a few mistakes that ended up in the back of our net," said senior forward Austin Block. "We could have done that better. We're not perfect. It wasn't lack of effort, that's for sure. I don't think anyone's discouraged. It's frustrating but it's just one of those things you have to put behind you. Next weekend's going to be tough (against Providence). We've got to get focused on that."

“I thought we played pretty good,” said junior forward Dalton Speelman. "Consistency and momentum are key, but we worked hard. We put up 50 shots. That's pretty good shooting in a game. We're playing pretty well, we've just got to figure out a way to get the puck in the back of the net."

"We had a ton of chances," Block said. "A few questionable penalties hurt us. Their goalie played well and we didn't find a way to get it past him."

Speelman had a couple of quality scoring chances in the second period but came up empty. One of his attempts labeled for the top right corner was reviewed, but ruled no goal.

Speelman had another opportunity with 16.3 seconds left in the period with UNH on a power play. He was denied by Marotta from in tight as he was being taken down by a Merrimack defender. No penalty was called on the play. "It's definitely frustrating," Speelman said. "We didn't take away the goalies eyes as well as we should have maybe."

"Marotta played a very good game," Umile said. "Some shots I believe he didn't see, but he was in position to make the save."

"It's just disappointing," Umile said, "because I thought the guys played hard and have nothing to show for it. It's a missed opportunity by us.

A lack of true snipers/goal scorers, poor timing (Henrion’s penalty just after the goal review, last Friday’s first minute/last minute goals against) and an inability to seize “championship” moments are a problem. We could be tied for first place with a game in hand, but are instead facing a weekend against a team we recently lost to that could put us temporarily out of home ice for the playoffs. On the plus side we have league parity going for us.

Sorkin needs to be given a hard look. One must assume his injury won’t heal faster with rest and won’t worsen by playing. A fan next to me commented that he seems to be playing one handed. Is he better at less than 100% than Gaudreault or Macdonald at full strength?

Sitting at the end of the reviewed non-goal, it looked good, my instant reaction was looking at the referee who was not signaling goal. Can anyone explain why we were charged a time out? I assume it was because we asked for the review, but I don’t recall a team being charged a time out before, perhaps because most replays are called for by the referee.

Speelman should have gotten a call. His break away was a stride from warranting a penalty shot.
    I gotta say that Merrimack played an excellent defensive game Saturday night, gave us no time or room. We on the other hand gave them all kinds of time and room. We did not lay a single halfway decent body check on them all freakin night. Not one. Gliding with the opponent gently into the boards does not send a message in the same way as the slamming checks we laid on BC. And after the BC game I thought now the Cats had a template on which to model the rest of the season. Why they tossed it out the window is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Sitting at the end of the reviewed non-goal, it looked good, my instant reaction was looking at the referee who was not signaling goal. Can anyone explain why we were charged a time out? I assume it was because we asked for the review, but I don’t recall a team being charged a time out before, perhaps because most replays are called for by the referee.
      This is actually a brand new NCAA rule that was instituted as part of the 2012-13 rule changes. See here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/web_vid...ulesVideo.html

I was at the game too, and had no idea the play in question was identified as a "coach's challenge". But here is a good breakdown of what took place: http://themackreport.com/umile-unh-l...esting-review/
      "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
      "Why?"
      "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Is there a particular reason UNH and Providence play the Friday/Sunday combo other than the TV concession? And if Sunday afternoons are good tv slots post football season, HEA might take advantage next year with the "tougher" bus trips that teams will have to endure.
        UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
          Is there a particular reason UNH and Providence play the Friday/Sunday combo other than the TV concession? And if Sunday afternoons are good tv slots post football season, HEA might take advantage next year with the "tougher" bus trips that teams will have to endure.
          Gotta think there is a pretty good shot that Friday's game will end up being played on Saturday.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            Gotta think there is a pretty good shot that Friday's game will end up being played on Saturday.
            Not when the team is going down on Thursday
            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Piels25 View Post
              I know it's just two games, but I didn't like what I saw this weekend. Back-to-back home losses (at the Whitt) against Providence and Merrimack just doesn't sit well, especially at this point of the season. Hope to see them bounce back this weekend with a home-and-home against Merrimack and pray they're not looking ahead to Boston College the following weekend at Chestnut Hill.
              Good analysis. But home-and-home this weekend is against Providence. I cannot imagine why the Cats would look ahead of the Friars, having been humiliated by them three weekends ago. I think that this weekend pretty much determines whether the Cats have shot at maintaining a position for home ice in Hockey East post-season, and just a win and a tie might not cut it either.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                Not when the team is going down on Thursday
                PC beat writer Mark Divver tweeted the following out about the game....

I'm told not to expect any news on whether Friday night's UNH @ PC game will be played til tomorrow at the earliest. Right now it's game on
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  PC beat writer Mark Divver tweeted the following out about the game....

I'm told not to expect any news on whether Friday night's UNH @ PC game will be played til tomorrow at the earliest. Right now it's game on
                  I'm really hoping hockey east does the safe thing and postpone. Otherwise I'm leaving super early for this game.
                  UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                    I'm really hoping hockey east does the safe thing and postpone. Otherwise I'm leaving super early for this game.
                    You would think Hockey East would move this game to another day. They are saying we are going to be getting at least a foot of snow on the north side of Providence. The Providence Bruins have
                    already moved their Friday night game to Monday.

Comment

• Originally posted by steven22 View Post
                      You would think Hockey East would move this game to another day. They are saying we are going to be getting at least a foot of snow on the north side of Providence. The Providence Bruins have
                      Agreed, it would be a terrible black eye if a ref or an official got injured heading to the game
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by steven22 View Post
                        It's apparently providence's call. And UNH's team is headed down tomorrow. Looking like they'll play but still hoping it gets moved.
                        UNH

Comment

UNH @Providence game has been rescheduled to Wednesday, Feb 13th at 7 PM (per tweet from Matt Myers).
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            UNH @Providence game has been rescheduled to Wednesday, Feb 13th at 7 PM (per tweet from Matt Myers).
                            Confirmed by wmur news at noon.

Comment

UNH and PC's official twitter accounts have confirmed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Good analysis. But home-and-home this weekend is against Providence. I cannot imagine why the Cats would look ahead of the Friars, having been humiliated by them three weekends ago. I think that this weekend pretty much determines whether the Cats have shot at maintaining a position for home ice in Hockey East post-season, and just a win and a tie might not cut it either.
                                I'm not sure a one goal win is "humiliation" by any stretch of the imagination. Especially with PC's inability to hold any lead at any time against any team not named "Brown."

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X