This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    Honestly I was very very impressed with them. BC was fortunate to win that one and I've got my eye on them. They gave BC fits all game long.

How about some Granite State pride... UNH and Dartmouth in #2 and #3 in the PWR (I hate even looking at this but needs to reference this to make my point). Interesting that the top 5 in the RPI/PWR have SOSs of 1,2,3,4,6 (not respectively).
    I don't know how much of a change it will be but the record vs TUC doesn't come into play until you play 10 (I think?) so, the pwr mirrors the Rpi pretty close at this point. Unfortunately by sweeping UML, they dropped out of TUC status.

After the new year, save for BC, UNH has a relatively easy schedule, especially closing out with four home games against UMass and woeful Maine... I'm sure there will be some hiccups along the way, but who knows?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      As an old-timer myself, great history in this post. But, I still like the idea of Wyer getting a start in the second game at the Ledyard tournament at the end of December.
      I wouldn't be too surprised to see this happen. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see UNH stumble a little bit coming out of the gates after winter break, as that has been another fairly consistent trademark of past UNH teams. I'd take 2 out of 3 between the Ledyard Classic and RPI leading into the BC home-and-home.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      My guess is that BC will remain #1 in the polls on Monday, even with the extra loss, as they have one more PWR point.
      Suspect you're right ... regardless, I hope that's the case, as there's no need to worry about being atop a meaningless poll at this stage of the season.

If the team has established anything at this point, it's that what's happened over the last two months is not a fluke. They are not eking out a string of shaky, narrow wins - not that there's anything wrong with a few of those (which have been in the mix; @ Denver, first NU game, second BU win). And considering that it's been done with pretty much the same cast of characters from last season's disappointing team (bar perhaps Pesce and a healthy Speelman), you gotta give a ton of credit to Coaches Umile, Tortorella and Borek.

Something has changed, and in a VERY positive direction. Defensemen are making better decisions, d-zone coverage is a lot tighter and more disciplined, forwards are helping out more, yet it does not look to be impacting the transition play out of the zone a bit, as evidenced by the big uptick in scoring. It used to drive me absolutely crazy how often UNH defensemen would be sprawled across the ice on their bellies in last-ditch "snow angel" defensive posture, and nowadays I can't remember seeing it more than once or twice in the half-dozen games I've seen so far this season.

Obviously, there's still a long way to go, and ALL of the really important games have yet to be played. But it's been awhile since I've been this enthused about the team's prospects for the Spring. Let's hope the team stays healthy, with Burke getting back into the line-up soon (I thought his physical presence was missed this past weekend). A win this Thursday against BU would be a great way to finish the pre-break "half" and create more space between the top two teams in HEA and the rest of the chasing pack for those final two home-ice slots. Hard to believe it'll be 10 years this Spring since the back-to-back UNH HEA tourney wins ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie
        Question for you Alumni O.G.'s- have the wildcats ever been ranked as # 1 in the past?
        Yes

Comment

With the return of Greg Burke hopefully after Christmas this team can only get better. Im very impressed with the play of Gaudreault, Macdonald, Pesce and Correale. Coach has the luxury of interchangeable parts in putting together a solid 4th line with Willows and Camper also. Team defense and backchecking is the best ive seen here in many years. Fun times in Durham this year.

Comment

.....I want to also mention the solid play of Pavelski this year, and also the Downing / Goumas combo is turning into one of the best in the country.

Comment

"#2 UNH Sweeps Season Series with UMass-Lowell"
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Thanks for the excellent recap Mike. Nice to see other players scoring. I too will be interested in seeing if the polls put UNH in first place. It's nice to be under the radar but as you say UNH now has a huge target on their back, Of course we all know there is still a long way to go but I have a good feeling about this team moving forward.
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                  Honestly I was very very impressed with them. BC was fortunate to win that one and I've got my eye on them. They gave BC fits all game long.

How about some Granite State pride... UNH and Dartmouth in #2 and #3 in the PWR (I hate even looking at this but needs to reference this to make my point). Interesting that the top 5 in the RPI/PWR have SOSs of 1,2,3,4,6 (not respectively).
                  I attended the Bentley - Dartmouth game in Hanover last night. The Big Green dominated the Falcons in the first with a 22-7 shot advantage, but still only took a 1-1 tie into the locker room. Bentley made adjustments and used their speed to neutralize Dartmouth's size in the second, got ahead, matched shots, and took a 2-2 tie into the second intermission. Dartmouth scored on a rare wrap-around early in the third, got a PPG about midway through, and then another PPG in the last minute to win 5-2. Bentley can score goals but is defensively challenged at times. UNH should not have a problem at the Ledyard Classic later this month, IF they keep playing D the way they have so far.

Comment

Nice synopsis Chuck of what UNH is doing now and I agree. Seeing their in-zone coverage so aggressive yet with no loss of transition speed and effectiveness is wonderful to watch...really soft hands and body control along the boards is sharp...and yes Goldie, back in 1974, UNH was #1...when ur at the Whitt, check out the team photo and see a couple of future NHLers in their infancy. )

Comment

And I totally agree that being #1 at this time of year means nothing! Has the state legislature noticed? Do we get more than the 1% of alumni giving back to UNH? Do we have a video scoreboard? What it means is that the players should be proud of being a team...a family...like all those who have worn the uniform, be proud of knowing that we maintain one of the country's elite hockey programs with plain talent and team work....

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        And I totally agree that being #1 at this time of year means nothing!
                        You think?
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

CS, I'm with you unfortunately way too many don't look at the calendar and believe a #1 ranking is the balls...as I inferred, if it brought notice and financial stability with it-woohoo....but alas it hasn't been the case.

Comment

Anyone heard from happy-go-lucky billb this season?

Comment

Uh Oh!

Comment

Don't get cocky boys. Keep your heads and keep up the good hockey. #1 in the uscho polls sure does feel good after last year though!

Comment

Working...
                                X