This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Excellent showing by you guys this weekend. Way to represent Hockey East.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
      Excellent showing by you guys this weekend. Way to represent Hockey East.
      +1

Comment

strange stat , UNH gave up 7 consecutive goals over the two games yet took 3 of the 4 points.......kudos to the coach for keeping the team upbeat after friday night and the start to saturday. I too can't wait for the BC-UNH games, which are always great hockey but carry more significance this year with UNH back near the top of the national standings and after beating DU which was HUGE!

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          strange stat , UNH gave up 7 consecutive goals over the two games yet took 3 of the 4 points.......kudos to the coach for keeping the team upbeat after friday night and the start to saturday. I too can't wait for the BC-UNH games, which are always great hockey but carry more significance this year with UNH back near the top of the national standings and after beating DU which was HUGE!
          Hadn't thought of it that way, however this morning during my long commute it dawned on me that UNH wrapped 70 minutes of excellent hockey 10 gf with 1 ga around 50 minutes of eck! This year we have become accustomed to the excellent hockey particularly the long stretches of 1 ga (or fewer).

I wonder what the heck happened. The online replay I saw DeSmith should have had 1 if not 2 of the 3 he gave up in Denver. I did catch anything at CC. Was it all something that went sideways for the goalie? Or was the switch to Wyer just what the team needed to pull their heads out of their...
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

For UNH fans that are interested, there are some "Cyber Monday" special ticket prices for games at the Verizon wireless arena in Manchester (including game against Merrimack and Northeast Regional games). See the link below:

http://unhwildcats.com/tickets/2012-...er_Monday_2012

Comment

Hard not to be at least a little excited with how things have turned around this season. It's also hard to imagine as awesome a win as the one they just came off of in Denver. UML can't be as bad as their record is, and I hope they don't have a let down in either of these games. Didn't expect the River Hawks to not even be a TUC team at this point, but I hope after this weekend, they win enough to get back in it....
              Those two games, the final BU game of the regular season, and the Dartmouth game will be tough to close out the calendar year. They've passed all of the tests so far, what's a reasonable expectation for this stretch? I thought 2-2 on the road vs. UML-BU-CC-DU would be acceptable and they were 90 seconds from 4-0...

Comment

Looking forward to UML game at the Whitt this Friday night. Scouting Dartmouth in their game against Bentley in Hanover on Saturday night.

As I posted on the Yale-UNH-DU-CC thread, I thought that UNH had a chance to come back from Colorado with 4 points this past weekend. I made this suggestion in response to a DU fan who wrote that DU should take 4 points on the weekend. But, I never would have believed that UNH could give up 8 goals and still come home with 3 points. Will be interesting to see if Wyer gets a start in net this weekend.

Comment

In the event u found yourself in this thread without first noting that Coach is on USCHOLIVE today 11/27 at 8 - now u know.

Comment

Awful quiet around here. You'd think WE were one of the northern New England teams with only 2 wins.....

Any thoughts on goaltending? Will DeSmith get both starts, or did Wyer earn a start?

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                      Awful quiet around here. You'd think WE were one of the northern New England teams with only 2 wins.....

Any thoughts on goaltending? Will DeSmith get both starts, or did Wyer earn a start?
                      I think Wyer has earned a start. But who knows what has happened this week in practice. My guess DeSmith Friday, Wyer Saturday.

I think we are (at least I am) quietly wondering if the other shoe will drop. No use in opening your mouth just to stuff your foot in it...
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Real big weekend ahead. Coming out of one of our less stellar weekends, and Lowell coming in on a hot streak, it will be tough. I think this weekend could tell us a lot about the team. Hopefully we can take 4 points, but it will not be easy. Desmith has to get his confidence back, and hopefully he can get a solid game in on Friday.

Comment

All in all tonight was an interesting game to watch. At times UNH looked untouchable, but the second half of the game started to sway the other way. Excellent play continues to come from Downing and Goumas. I liked that they showed both the willingness to stick up for themselves, but also enough poise to walk away from it once it was over (The face wash to Block at the blueline). The third period was disappointing as they did not show the killer instinct I had hoped to see when they got up 4-0, they seemed to play not to lose as opposed to putting it out of reach. Desmith made a couple big saves which will be good going forward, at the same time he wasn't lights out which leaves to door open for a Wyer start tomorrow night.

At the end of the night it was another 5 goals at home, another shorthanded goal, and another perfect night on the PK. The good news is that they got the league win on a night they didn't play their best. Hopefully they can keep it up tomorrow.

Comment

Tonight was a weird game.

I was not pleased with the team defense, too many scrambles and getting pulled out of position. I think it is really important this team gets back to smart defense again.

DeSmith let in 2 but it could have been far worse, he played really well. It really isn't how many saves made or goals let in by a goalie but the critical saves the goalie makes. DeSmith made those critical saves tonight. I would still start Wyer at Lowell, he needs experience just encase and I think he earned it last week. Go back to DeSmith against BU and split the exhibition between Wyer and Regan.

The puck was hard for both teams to handle tonight. I don't know what it was but it seemed to spend 1/2 the game on edge or rolling off sticks. It was happening to both teams and I think it made the game sloppy for both teams.

Officiating was poor, not unfair just poor and because of that the game got out of control. The refs needed to call a few more penalties on the scrums, with 2 of them on the ice they should have been able to give an extra 2 to he who started it. Both teams would have been nailed a couple times and the game would have stayed in control.
                            Last edited by JB; 11-30-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

"#2 UNH Downs Pesky UMass-Lowell 5-2"
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

posted by Brian Gentry on the BC-BU thread:

Just looked at the KRACH.

1. UNH
                                2. BC
                                3. BU

Hockey East.