This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Something tells me Wyer just earned some more ice time.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      Something tells me Wyer just earned some more ice time.
      And that BC has reason to be very concerned and ready!

Comment

I think the BC games should be fun this year. With 3 games I think there is a good chance we see one run and gun, one defensive struggle and who knows on the 3rd reg season game. Just hope all 3 are edge of your seat games.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I think the BC games should be fun this year. With 3 games I think there is a good chance we see one run and gun, one defensive struggle and who knows on the 3rd reg season game. Just hope all 3 are edge of your seat games.
          I love the UNH/BC games, easily the two best skating teams in the conference, (save for last year). Good clean hockey. That'll be the best measuring stick of what we can expect out of UNH though tonight was a huge sign. Down 3-0 after giving up 4 in a row last night to blow the lead, at altitude, it would have been easy to pack it in.. Huge character win tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
            And that BC has reason to be very concerned and ready!
            We need to try and keep things in perspective, it was a huge win but they still have two UML games (always tough to play at the tsongas) and games against top 15 BU and Dartmouth coming up before BC. No need to look that far ahead just yet, no matter how exciting the games may be.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
              Awesome come from behind win! Talk about a tale of two nights! Also, very cool to hear such a strong UNH presence at Magness Arena!
              It was phenomenal. Beautiful facility, by the way. DU fans were classy as well. It was a good night
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

BC is something fun to look forward to down the road. Just fun hockey to watch - style is just nice - Wildshawn I am with you on that.

Next step for this team get back to sea level and back to playing defense. Love the goals but I like 3-0 better than 6-4.

If you told me 3-0-1 on the 4 game road trip I would have taken it in a blink. It was that close to 4-0 or 3-1-0 or 2-1-1...

Comment

So tonight I am going to watch on the web... trying to get setup having issues like some others, listening on the radio. UNH down 3 and I hear the video is having issues. So I give up. unh gets to 3-2 and I hear video is better, start trying to get online in time of DU's 4th. I decided the world was trying to tell me to listen not watch...

I think the best part of this game is the team building and learning experience. They clearly thought they could do it, hence they didn't give up. But now they know they can do it. Learning and knowing you can play different style games is a very important part of the regular season.

Comment

Great win guys!

Comment

Here are some hightlights from the Denver game:
                      http://www.denverpioneers.com/mediaP...514&id=1104070

These highlights are a bit biased only showing the DU goals, but it gives you some persecutive on the game.

Comment

I think the best part of this game is the team building and learning experience. They clearly thought they could do it, hence they didn't give up. But now they know they can do it. Learning and knowing you can play different style games is a very important part of the regular season.
                        Agreed 100%. Hopefully it does not lead to early-game complacency, as it is never a good habit to spot an opponent an early lead on the assumption you will make that up later in the game. The best teams not only know how to get ahead in games, but also know how best to play with a lead. But it's nice to have some practical experience and confidence in your team's ability to make up a deficit when one inevitably arises. This weekend hopefully taught the lessons (1) you can't take even a four goal lead against a quality opponent (or any opponent?) for granted, and (2) on the flip side, you can overcome even the most challenging circumstances - a 3 goal deficit against a top team, while playing away from home, at altitude AND against some apparent "home cooking" from the officials.

Throw in that you pulled this off without one of your top forwards ... you got a valuable contribution from your back-up goalie ... and I'd say the team passed its first real test of the season with flying colors. 5-1-2 in an eight game stretch including 7 road games, including a 3-0-1 stretch these last four games against 4 teams that were ranked in the Top 20 at the times they were played. There is still a long way to go for sure, and of some concern, the team allowed eight (8) goals in these last two games, so I'm guessing there will be plenty of hard work over the next week in correcting some of those errors this past weekend.

Hard not to be optimistic. On a cautionary note, we've been here before, and we know the most important games are yet to come. But this is all WAY beyond expectations at this point, so let's enjoy the ride for now, and it will be fun to see how things go from here on out. Definitely better this way than last year!!
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Looking real forward to those BC/UNH games later on in the season, should be great games!

Comment

Some observations.. haven't been able to get to a game in a bit, but was able to see most of these last two games online..

UNH's offensive chemistry is vastly improved from yrs past. Sounds odd coming after a night with 2 hattricks by UNH players, but I see a lot of unselfishness, more speed and more depth. Guys making passes before it's too late, using the boards to move the puck, a D man seems to always be back.. Confidence, not only did TVR take the puck deep a few times this week. 18yr old Pesce, was flashing is puck skills all over the place last night as well, and more so as the game progressed. Looks almost as if he's got the puck skills and wheels of a forward they way he cruised through the nuetral zone.. Hardowa showed some great leadership last night in a moment when a certain goal was about to occur by diving in back of Wyer , with the pcuk about to be poked in.

Also, I believe UNH had about 3minutes of PP time the entire weekend- 2min in the first against CC and for about a minute late in the 3rd last night, until the ref's came to their senses about a visiting team having a man advantage, being up by 1 with 1:58(or so) left. I don't think DU or CC played ugly or anthying, there were an several 'matching' penalty's called, but clearly PP time was one-sided last night. Even with that being the case, UNH put up 10 goals, even strenght or SH goals on the weekend and gave up 0 PP goals. Nicely done!

While 3 points on a WCHA road trip, is very nice- I remind myself, that's it's Nov!!! Nice weekend and a great finale though, Keep it rolling guys!!!
                            Last edited by i'zonprize; 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM.
                            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Jim Tortorella .... do not look any further than this gentleman for a reason why New Hampshire is among the nation's elite defensive teams. This is rare position for UNH to be in .... at least in my time of watching them since the 1967-1968 season. The forwards appear to have bought into it -- the defensemen (a very, very good group this year) gather confidence from the forwards -- and the excellent goaltenders do also. This is a very difficult scenario to teach and an even more difficult system to implement.

It is difficult to teach because all team members (including coaches) have to place themselves second to the team. It is all based on a characteristic that is sadly lacking in most endeavors .... being unselfish.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                                Jim Tortorella .... do not look any further than this gentleman for a reason why New Hampshire is among the nation's elite defensive teams. This is rare position for UNH to be in .... at least in my time of watching them since the 1967-1968 season. The forwards appear to have bought into it -- the defensemen (a very, very good group this year) gather confidence from the forwards -- and the excellent goaltenders do also. This is a very difficult scenario to teach and an even more difficult system to implement.

It is difficult to teach because all team members (including coaches) have to place themselves second to the team. It is all based on a characteristic that is sadly lacking in most endeavors .... being unselfish.
                                Couldn't help but notice that Denver's team defense and, to some extent, goaltending was not up to UNH's level. Wholeheartedly agree that Coach Tortorella deserves credit. Turned out to be a more than adequate replacement for Coach Lassonde.

John Henrion's play is a prime example of the improved defensive style of the team. He has been less of the free-wheeling, shoot from any position, and maybe get back on defense, type of player. He's hitting, forechecking, backchecking and battling for pucks.
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X