X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I actually thought that the UNH offense played fine tonight, but the UML defense clogged the middle really well and did a good job clearing loose pucks. Burke's injury late in the first meant line shake ups for the remainder of the game. DeSmith's play of late has been sensational.
    Fair enough. I appreciate a different perspective. From what I say on the webcast, it seemed most of their shots were wristers from the tops of the circles, and they didn't really have any nice passing plays that lead to a more effective scoring opportunity.

So pending Burke and Camper miss a few games... I want Willows to take a fulltime role on third line, and then we continue swapping freshmen on the 4th. I'm kinda shocked about the lack of time Willows has had. In my opinion there is potential waiting to be unlocked, but even if its not unlocked, I don't think he hurts us.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
      Fair enough. I appreciate a different perspective. From what I say on the webcast, it seemed most of their shots were wristers from the tops of the circles, and they didn't really have any nice passing plays that lead to a more effective scoring opportunity.
      I was sitting on the offensive blue line for the second period and UML was getting in the way of everything. There were a lot of perimeter shots as you mentioned, and I felt early on they were making it too easy on Carr. Many of the perimeter shots were taken with at least one if not two UNH players screening Carr so if more had gotten through it may have led to better results. Ultimately it appears they are more careful with the puck and have a focused effort on defense, playing conservative on offense, and scoring on defensive breakdowns or excellent breakouts caused by their own defense.

I also noticed they began to have success exploiting UML's shot blocking, the TVR goal was scored because one UML player was injured blocking a shot, and he was able to skate around a defender who went down to block. This got him close with a screen to unleash the shot. I'd like to see them open it up a little on offense but their formula is working so far.

Comment

another DeSmith shutout? seriously?? Do we really have to wait until Jan 11th to see UNH-BC? best of luck sunday, please win

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          another DeSmith shutout? seriously?? Do we really have to wait until Jan 11th to see UNH-BC? best of luck sunday, please win
          So, in crunching numbers last night...
          2 goals allowed in the last 5 games (1 in regulation).
          6 goals allowed in 7 hockey east games
          3 of those goals were in the first period against Northeastern at home
          Outside of that period, 3 goals allowed in the other 20 periods (plus overtime at UMass)- .45 GAA (ish)
          Outside that period, 2 goals allowed in regulation (20 periods) - .3 GAA
          In league play...

Tough to continue those kind of numbers, but it's been amazingly good so far....

Comment

What really impresses me is that, in nine games, UNH has given up more than one goal only twice in a period (NU and SCSU).

Comment

"Casey DeSmith's Historic Shutout: UNH Downs Lowell 3-0" - UPDATED
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
                I also noticed they began to have success exploiting UML's shot blocking, the TVR goal was scored because one UML player was injured blocking a shot, and he was able to skate around a defender who went down to block. This got him close with a screen to unleash the shot. I'd like to see them open it up a little on offense but their formula is working so far.
                Exactly. TVR saw the screen and made no mistake in beating Carr to upper left over his stick hand. But, I still think that UML watched a lot of film showing the early season success UNH had crashing the middle and for the most part put a stop to that by clogging the middle on Friday night. Will be interesting to see if Parker has the Terriers try the same thing on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Anybody making the trip to Colorado? I'm headed there from Minneapolis Friday morning, going to try to catch Saturday's game, at a minimum (DU). May have to eschew the CC game as my buddy's band is playing in Boulder Friday night. If anyone's around, a DU pre-game might be a good time.
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    Anybody making the trip to Colorado? I'm headed there from Minneapolis Friday morning, going to try to catch Saturday's game, at a minimum (DU). May have to eschew the CC game as my buddy's band is playing in Boulder Friday night. If anyone's around, a DU pre-game might be a good time.
                    My brother who lives in Lakewood will be attending both games, as he is not coming back east for a visit until late December when we will attend the Ledyard Classic in Hanover. If you post something here about a UNH alums get together, I will let him know the plans.

Nice win by Wildcats at Agannis this afternoon. I believe that DeSmith set the all-time UNH record for consecutive minutes without giving up a goal before getting beaten for the only BU goal early in the second. Good play by Goumas all over the ice and great to see Maxim Gaudreault get his first career goal in his fourth game played (he is from Annapolis, Md., not Quebec, eh).

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      thanks

Comment

I see you guys had to kill off 7 BU PPs this afternoon...well done. Very impressive weekend overall and good luck out in Colorado.

BTW, what's your overall record now at Agganis? I believe BC is 9-2-1. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          I see you guys had to kill off 7 BU PPs this afternoon...well done. Very impressive weekend overall and good luck out in Colorado.

BTW, what's your overall record now at Agganis? I believe BC is 9-2-1. Just curious.
                          UNHWildcats.com says we have a record of 7-6-3 at Agganis.

Comment

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
                            UNHWildcats.com says we have a record of 7-6-3 at Agganis.
                            And that is with BU going 4-1 against UNH down there last year.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

"A Little More Payback: UNH Beats BU 3-1 At Agganis"
                              Last edited by C-H-C; 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

A blog about the best college program in the world?

Comment

Working...
                                X