This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

I think this will be another test. UNH has to keep up the intensity. UMASS has played some good teams tough, and Maine WILL be stoked to play their rival at home. Even though both team's records are not so great, UNH cannot overlook them. I felt we may have been a bit too confident going into last weekend, luckily we reeled it back in after the first period.

Comment

Putting aside all of the joshing about "Kings of October" (what about "Knights of November" and "Deacons of December"?? ) ... this weekend offers the 'Cats a great opportunity to stake out ground at the top of the HE standings at the expense of two teams off to a slow start, and go some ways towards separating from the rest of the pack in search of home ice for the HE tourney. Say what you will about how the "big games" are played later in the season - and they are - but we all saw last season the dangers and pitfalls of a slow start to the season. The PWR is off to a good start (anyone notice SCSU has won four straight after they left Durham?), and with two road games this weekend, I'll be interested to see if the team can keep things moving in a positive direction.

After hosting UVM next weekend, the next seven game stretch to get to the winter break includes three games against UML, two games against BU, and the Thanksgiving weekend trip out to Colorado. All of those teams are currently in the top 25 nationally. Ideally, the 'Cats should hope to take at least five points these next two weekends in the league, and then if there are some ups and downs in that subsequent seven game stretch, UNH should still be in decent position.

THEN we can worry about that annoying January/February thingie that has so often tripped things up for us in the past ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        OK I am actually going to take you seriously.

1) PWR is a computer ranking tool. That means when there is very little data it is high volatile. It is technically only valid about 7 days a year (after conference tournaments before the NCAAs start). It never used to be displayed by anybody until after New Year’s because it can do really weird things in the fall with so little data. It is based on performance this year with no regression analysis looking to the future (like say KRACH).

2) At this point the polls are potentially more accurate as the voters look at where a team was last year, what they lost, what they brought in and where they expect the team to be in the end. It appears to me some of the voters take into account the computer tools, how else does UNH have 2 first place votes. I am a UNH fan and based on where they were last year and the changes I wouldn’t put them any higher then where they are.

Thankfully in Hockey we have a tournament to determine the best team at the end of the year. So take the polls and rankings at this point in the year for what they are, fun. It all gets worked out on the ice in the end.
        Thankyou for your reply, I understand your explanation, my point was that PWR is weighted towards a teams record vs. tuc. I believe that at this point our undefeated record has been achieved against TUC's, therefore a #1 ranking in PWR. Just felt it made a stronger case for a higher ranking. I understand there is still alot of hockey to be played,and the standing/polls will look much different in March. Even then it seems a rare occasion when the final #1 seed wins the frozen four. Now for the real test how many arrows were in the Snively ceiling? and is the traditional fish still in play?

Comment

Originally posted by arrownsnively View Post
          Thankyou for your reply, I understand your explanation, my point was that PWR is weighted towards a teams record vs. tuc. I believe that at this point our undefeated record has been achieved against TUC's, therefore a #1 ranking in PWR. Just felt it made a stronger case for a higher ranking. I understand there is still alot of hockey to be played,and the standing/polls will look much different in March. Even then it seems a rare occasion when the final #1 seed wins the frozen four. Now for the real test how many arrows were in the Snively ceiling? and is the traditional fish still in play?
          You're still missing the point IMO.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

"UNH Road Trip: 1st Stop, UMass"
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by arrownsnively View Post
              Now for the real test how many arrows were in the Snively ceiling? and is the traditional fish still in play?
              Three arrows, and the fish is history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Three arrows, and the fish is history.
                Why is the fish history?

Comment

Chuck Murray?
                  Get off my lawn, whippersnappers

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

"UMass Defeats UNH 2-1 in OT"
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat13 View Post
                      Why is the fish history?
                      Not sure if there is more to the story, but for whatever reason the first goal fish throw has not been consistent this season. It would be sad to see it go, in addition to it's own long history at UNH it has also been adopted by other schools - Niagara & Nebraska-Omaha, and oddly even Providence on a few occasions. It was also parodied for a while by the throwing of a rubber chicken, stuffed with ketchup packets to provide additional weight, at UMass-Lowell.
                      Last edited by ClOuD 9; 11-03-2012, 01:24 AM.
                      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                        Very good recap of the game Mike. Sounds like DeSmith did his part. The late penalty in OT didn't help matters though. Get the two points in Orono and all will be good
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I think it's time for the lines to be shuffled a little bit. The first line has not been playing well the last few games. Willows with 4 shots last night, with 4th line playing time. That's pretty impressive. Maybe Umile should take a gamble with him for a game or two.

10-27-21
                          28-3-16
                          19-26-18
                          13/14-11/17-9

Comment

Here's to BU splitting with UND. *raises a pint* That should help in the long haul.

(And that's said not without hesitation... I had a dream last night that an absurdly tiny Rhett Terrier was found dead in a mouse trap. *grin*)
                            Last edited by Verkligen; 11-04-2012, 05:29 AM.

Comment

UNH gets the shutout up at Mordor. We should start passing a donation jar around to help cover the cost of a new contract extension for Timmy.
                              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Mordor ... Like the reference, but it seems Sauron has fallen on some hard times this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X