This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

At Amherst and then at Orono in the same weekend? I realize we've had an easy start, travel-wise, but that's not a fun itinerary. Yikes.

Could be worse. Could be the WCHA
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      At Amherst and then at Orono in the same weekend? I realize we've had an easy start, travel-wise, but that's not a fun itinerary. Yikes.

Could be worse. Could be the WCHA
      Adding more miles to the car... Not looking forward to either drive this weekend but hopefully there will be some good hockey!
      UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

OK, does anyone have any idea why there are no longer any goal judges at the Whitt? I mean, whose idea was this anyway? It clearly could not have happened without consent from the HE commissioner's office.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwildcat View Post
          OK, does anyone have any idea why there are no longer any goal judges at the Whitt? I mean, whose idea was this anyway? It clearly could not have happened without consent from the HE commissioner's office.
          NCAA said it was up to the leagues and Hockey East decided to axe them completely. All goals are reviewable and all rinks are fitted with cameras. The biggest problem is not having a red light so fans cant see whats going on don't know there's even a goal until seconds later...

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
            NCAA said it was up to the leagues and Hockey East decided to axe them completely. All goals are reviewable and all rinks are fitted with cameras. The biggest problem is not having a red light so fans cant see whats going on don't know there's even a goal until seconds later...
            As much as I like having the extra sight line without the box there, I miss my red light. I like having the camera review, and was open to the idea at first given the potential bias of a goal judge. But I miss that guy with a button. Keep the redundancies in place, and bring back the light.
            Hit Somebody!

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
              I believe each school can decide if they still want to have a red light (UNH chose to still have the green light) but then they are paying a person to just turn on the red light. Wish they still had it though 2nd period and OT can be rough from my seats
              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

New to this thread, but a true blue fan since my freshman year in 76, just wondering how we can be #1 in the PWR as of this week, undefeated yet still be only ranked 9th in the polls? I think there is lots of good hockey to come from the boys this year!!! ps how many arrows were there in the ceiling of Snively??? Took me a little while to find the last 1, and btw whats up with the fish, it's a tradition that should never die!!!!
                Last edited by arrownsnively; 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                  I believe each school can decide if they still want to have a red light (UNH chose to still have the green light) but then they are paying a person to just turn on the red light. Wish they still had it though 2nd period and OT can be rough from my seats
                  I'd do it for free.
                  UNH

Comment

Originally posted by arrownsnively View Post
                    New to this thread, but a true blue fan since my freshman year in 76, just wondering how we can be #1 in the PWR as of this week, undefeated yet still be only ranked 9th in the polls? I think there is lots of good hockey to come from the boys this year!!! ps how many arrows were there in the ceiling of Snively??? Took me a little while to find the last 1, and btw whats up with the fish, it's a tradition that should never die!!!!
                    For real? Good Lord...
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      For real? Good Lord...
                      As a wise one said last year, (or was it the year before), Poles don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by arrownsnively View Post
                        New to this thread, but a true blue fan since my freshman year in 76, just wondering how we can be #1 in the PWR as of this week, undefeated yet still be only ranked 9th in the polls?
                        OK I am actually going to take you seriously.

1) PWR is a computer ranking tool. That means when there is very little data it is high volatile. It is technically only valid about 7 days a year (after conference tournaments before the NCAAs start). It never used to be displayed by anybody until after New Year’s because it can do really weird things in the fall with so little data. It is based on performance this year with no regression analysis looking to the future (like say KRACH).

2) At this point the polls are potentially more accurate as the voters look at where a team was last year, what they lost, what they brought in and where they expect the team to be in the end. It appears to me some of the voters take into account the computer tools, how else does UNH have 2 first place votes. I am a UNH fan and based on where they were last year and the changes I wouldn’t put them any higher then where they are.

Thankfully in Hockey we have a tournament to determine the best team at the end of the year. So take the polls and rankings at this point in the year for what they are, fun. It all gets worked out on the ice in the end.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          OK I am actually going to take you seriously.

1) PWR is a computer ranking tool. That means when there is very little data it is high volatile. It is technically only valid about 7 days a year (after conference tournaments before the NCAAs start). It never used to be displayed by anybody until after New Year’s because it can do really weird things in the fall with so little data. It is based on performance this year with no regression analysis looking to the future (like say KRACH).

2) At this point the polls are potentially more accurate as the voters look at where a team was last year, what they lost, what they brought in and where they expect the team to be in the end. It appears to me some of the voters take into account the computer tools, how else does UNH have 2 first place votes. I am a UNH fan and based on where they were last year and the changes I wouldn’t put them any higher then where they are.

Thankfully in Hockey we have a tournament to determine the best team at the end of the year. So take the polls and rankings at this point in the year for what they are, fun. It all gets worked out on the ice in the end.
                          Well said.

Oh, and welcome, arrownsnively! My comment wasn't about you, but your post reminded me of one of the all-time Forum classic (or worst) threads.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                            Can they not just wire it up to the guys that run the Lite-Brite board and PA system? Decent vantage point to see the ref's arm motion from.
                            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                              Can they not just wire it up to the guys that run the Lite-Brite board and PA system? Decent vantage point to see the ref's arm motion from.
                              Maybe it costs too much?
                              UNH

Comment

Let's talk predictions for the weekend... How are folks feeling?

Comment

Working...
                                X