X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Ah....makes sense. Though from where I sit, it's hard to see whether or not the puck is in the net furthest away from me, the "red light" was always the "confirmation"
    I feel the exact same way. I have an amazing view of the goal on the student section side but I can't always tell what's going on when there is a scrum in front of the net on the other side. I tried to argue but my opinion doesn't mean much.
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
      I feel the exact same way. I have an amazing view of the goal on the student section side but I can't always tell what's going on when there is a scrum in front of the net on the other side. I tried to argue but my opinion doesn't mean much.
      Well, I know they are in the lockout, but at least the NHL still has the red light come on for goals (operated from a box near the press box) even though they have the replay system in effect for all goals/near goals. Certainly is helpful for those that are not in the half of the ice where the goal occurs.
      Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
      ECAC Tourney Champs 79
      Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
      Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
      Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
      NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Quick question (to anyone)...what's with the missing goal lights at the Whitt? Temporarily not working or removed entirely? My apologies if this has already been discussed/answered on another thread.
        Also, How come there was no fish thrown out on the Ice last night ? It least the BU game had a small fish head chucked out onto the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Blearyman View Post
          Also, How come there was no fish thrown out on the Ice last night ? It least the BU game had a small fish head chucked out onto the ice.
          ZX sucks now. That's my guess
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
            Also, starting Wyer tonight might be a bit of a wake-up for the D tonight (after a lackluster first period+ last night that almost cost them a W) knowing they have their backup in and that they are going to have to pay a bit more attention (not that they don't always, but you know...) to protecting Wyer and limiting good offensive chances by NU.
            Too much psychology going on in that approach. DeSmith and the defense battled back after a slow start to get the job done. I'm sure Coach Umile lit into them during the first intermission, and they didn't allow too much for the rest of the way. I'd be shocked to see Wyer start tonight.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

“We learned he’s (DeSmith) a player who is going to compete with some of of the best,’’ said Umile. “He proved that the second half. He gave us an opportunity to win every night. We felt good about him and Jeff Wyer. Jeff played a couple of games last year but he tore cartilage [knocking him out of the lineup], but he’s back and competing as well. We thought Casey was going to be a very talented goaltender. He’s a local kid right out of Rochester and always wanted to go to UNH and we were fortunate he made that commitment.’’
              Umile pulled Di Girolamo and put Jeff Wyer in early last season against St. Cloud. He and Coach Tortorella were pleased with how Wyer responded. No one is saying that DeSmith and Wyer are in a competition to be the #1 goalie. DeSmith clearly has that spot. But, from what Coach Umile has said about Wyer, it sounds like he sees Wyer as more than the backup goalie who will only play in one or two holiday tournament games and one exhibition game. Tonight may not be the time we see Wyer in net in a Hockey East game but my guess is it will happen before Christmas break.
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Too much psychology going on in that approach. DeSmith and the defense battled back after a slow start to get the job done. I'm sure Coach Umile lit into them during the first intermission, and they didn't allow too much for the rest of the way. I'd be shocked to see Wyer start tonight.
                Probably so, but I do agree with Mike (CHC). I do think we will see Wyer before Christmas... and likely sooner rather than later with 7 of the next 8 on the road. Probably would be a good thing, too, as some rest for your #1 is never unwelcome.
                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Blearyman View Post
                  There wasn't one for the St. Francis Xavier exhibition either.

ZX sucks now. That's my guess
                  This, apparently. Many times they would take off right after (even after 1st minute goals), now they can't even be bothered to show up in the first place? I wasn't fond of the AD when they tried to strip ZX of it several years back, but if they aren't even going to bother anymore maybe it's time to find someone new to take it over. Remember the lobster against Maine? *cringe*
                  Last edited by ClOuD 9; 11-03-2012, 01:09 AM. Reason: Misspoke and said "New Brunswick exhibition" instead of St. Francis Xavier
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                    There wasn't one for the New Brunswick exhibition either.

This, apparently. Many times they would take off right after (even after 1st minute goals), now they can't even be bothered to show up in the first place? I wasn't fond of the AD when they tried to strip ZX of it several years back, but if they aren't even going to bother anymore maybe it's time to find someone new to take it over. Remember the lobster against Maine? *cringe*
                    That was terrible. It went everywhere. I was joking about bringing my own cooler with a fish last night.
                    UNH

Comment

Incredible performances by Casey DeSmith and Bryan Mountain. Terrific 0-0 game.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

DeSmith didn't give up a goal the last 113 minutes (ish?) of this weekend's games. Pretty awesome. I didn't see tonight's game, but the glove save he made last night in the 2nd period was one of the quickest glove saves I've seen in a while (it was a 2 on 1 that was initially broken up by a sliding defender but the original puckholder ended up with a shot on the doorstop and he was robbed). Honestly, does a goalie get tired and need rest when he's playing only 2 games/week? I've always thought that was overrated...

Comment

That was terrible. It went everywhere. I was joking about bringing my own cooler with a fish last night.
                          $5 if you throw it in to the netting and it bounces back & hits TheComicBookGuy in the face.
                          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

When was the last time that UNH played a 0-0 tie? Kudos to DeSmith and the Cats this past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              When was the last time that UNH played a 0-0 tie? Kudos to DeSmith and the Cats this past weekend.
                              I think they had two in one season (one vs. UML, and one vs. Maine) at home, maybe 2000-2001 ish

I don't remember one, but I do remember two over a short span.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                                I think they had two in one season (one vs. UML, and one vs. Maine) at home, maybe 2000-2001 ish

I don't remember one, but I do remember two over a short span.
                                Yes, both were at the Whitt during the 2000-2001 season - 12/2/00 vs Lowell and 1/5/01 vs Maine.
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X