This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Nice seeing the 'cats/BU replay on FCS last night. Coverage like this puts us on a level with Minnesota, North Dakota and other elite programs. Combined with the in game UNH promos this is great exposure for UNH, a great move by Marty Scarano and the school.
    Last edited by Darius; 10-26-2012, 08:17 AM.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

An impressive way to win from behind. It's unfortunate that the first couple of shifts went the way of last week to create a 'from behind' situation, and it's a shame that it took the mid-2nd board scrum to wake the boys up. I'll take it, and I loved it nonetheless. In a game like this you have two opponents - the other team, and Fyrer.
      Hit Somebody!

Comment

Will goalie Jeff Wyer start for UNH Saturday night at Matthews Arena? Would be a logical time to do it. DeSmith made some nice saves to keep the game tied at 3-3 but looked subpar, for him, in first period.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

DeSmith, subpar, yes. But I thought the team defense was subpar throughout. NU missed some opportunities in the third... And what was up with Downing in the defensive zone? Seemed very casual and gave the puck away a couple times in the third. Hope to see last week's team tomorrow.

Ne'ertheless, a win is a win, and we're first in the PairWise! (as if that means anything right now, but I can pretend)
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            Will goalie Jeff Wyer start for UNH Saturday night at Matthews Arena? Would be a logical time to do it. DeSmith made some nice saves to keep the game tied at 3-3 but looked subpar, for him, in first period.
            It wouldnt surprise me to see Wyer get the start tonight. Wyer could use the experience and Desmith could probably use the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Maybe he could just play the first minute or two anyway. Although in fairness the team's early game breakdowns were more at fault than the goalie.
              Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

So far ...

Nice start to the season. It will be interesting though to see how this all translates over into road games on smaller ice surfaces, with the first four games being at home and all. But with seven of the next eight games coming up on the road, those questions will be answered shortly.

I do like what I've seen so far, but it's also hard to get too excited too soon, when the history of the program has been littered with fast starts and unconvincing finishes. Things that encourage me that this year *might* be different include the size and range of the defensive corps, a confident and talented returning front-line goalie, and a bunch of non-star types up front who aren't afraid to take the body, work real hard at backchecking (Silengo was terrific on this vs. BU), and get to the front of the opposing goal. Not having a pure "sniper" hasn't been an issue just yet, but that might be something to watch out for as the season progresses, and I'm still concerned about their abilities to move the puck out of their own end.

BTW I don't see Wyer playing tonight @ Matthews - Coach Umile will ride DeSmith as long as the results continue to fall the way they have been, so *maybe* Wyer sees some time in one of the games out in Colorado next month, certainly for the USNDT exhibition, maybe one at the Ledyard Classic after the break? The whole idea of "resting" a goalie at this level, at this early stage of the season is overrated. Unnecessary, unless you want to use it as an excuse to give one of your other guys some game experience. JMHO.

Like what I've seen from Pesce and Correale so far, and am anxious to see Gaudreault, on whom I've some really good things.

The atmosphere at the Whitt last weekend against BU was the best it's been for awhile, too. It's also nice to see the increased TV schedule, so there seem to be a lot of positives in place. Let's see how things go over the next month on the road, and then maybe we can get a better idea if this is something that might make for an entertaining Winter, and lead to a productive Spring as well ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Re: So far ...

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Nice start to the season. It will be interesting though to see how this all translates over into road games on smaller ice surfaces, with the first four games being at home and all. But with seven of the next eight games coming up on the road, those questions will be answered shortly.

I do like what I've seen so far, but it's also hard to get too excited too soon, when the history of the program has been littered with fast starts and unconvincing finishes. Things that encourage me that this year *might* be different include the size and range of the defensive corps, a confident and talented returning front-line goalie, and a bunch of non-star types up front who aren't afraid to take the body, work real hard at backchecking (Silengo was terrific on this vs. BU), and get to the front of the opposing goal. Not having a pure "sniper" hasn't been an issue just yet, but that might be something to watch out for as the season progresses, and I'm still concerned about their abilities to move the puck out of their own end.

BTW I don't see Wyer playing tonight @ Matthews - Coach Umile will ride DeSmith as long as the results continue to fall the way they have been, so *maybe* Wyer sees some time in one of the games out in Colorado next month, certainly for the USNDT exhibition, maybe one at the Ledyard Classic after the break? The whole idea of "resting" a goalie at this level, at this early stage of the season is overrated. Unnecessary, unless you want to use it as an excuse to give one of your other guys some game experience. JMHO.

Like what I've seen from Pesce and Correale so far, and am anxious to see Gaudreault, on whom I've some really good things.

The atmosphere at the Whitt last weekend against BU was the best it's been for awhile, too. It's also nice to see the increased TV schedule, so there seem to be a lot of positives in place. Let's see how things go over the next month on the road, and then maybe we can get a better idea if this is something that might make for an entertaining Winter, and lead to a productive Spring as well ...

He lives!!!!!!! ::waves:: Hi Chuck! Long time no see any kind of post!

Comment

Wow... Chuck's posting and UNH is back as the Kings of October. Is this 2003 or 2012?

All is right in the world again.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

[QUOTE=Umileated;5531889si . In a game like this you have two opponents - the other team, and Fyrer.[/QUOTE]

What are you complaining about? Fyrer called exactly one penalty against UNH and missed some muggings - especially against Vrolyk and Ferriero.

Comment

Chuck - great to see your post. I may have to start posting again.

Comment

Guess it's "Olde Home" day here on the UNH thread. Welcome back Chuck!

Quick question (to anyone)...what's with the missing goal lights at the Whitt? Temporarily not working or removed entirely? My apologies if this has already been discussed/answered on another thread.
                          Last edited by Scott; 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM.
                          UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            Guess it's "Olde Home" day here on the UNH thread. Welcome back Chuck!

Quick question (to anyone)...what's with the missing goal lights at the Whitt? Temporarily not working or removed entirely? My apologies if this has already been discussed/answered on another thread.
                            There is no use for goal judges any more as all hockey east schools have to use the camera review so UNH didn't see the point in having someone sit there. They still have the green light working so the on ice officials know when the period is over.
                            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                              There is no use for goal judges any more as all hockey east schools have to use the camera review so UNH didn't see the point in having someone sit there. They still have the green light working so the on ice officials know when the period is over.
                              Ah....makes sense. Though from where I sit, it's hard to see whether or not the puck is in the net furthest away from me, the "red light" was always the "confirmation"
                              UNH

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                                It wouldnt surprise me to see Wyer get the start tonight. Wyer could use the experience and Desmith could probably use the rest.
                                Also, starting Wyer tonight might be a bit of a wake-up for the D tonight (after a lackluster first period+ last night that almost cost them a W) knowing they have their backup in and that they are going to have to pay a bit more attention (not that they don't always, but you know...) to protecting Wyer and limiting good offensive chances by NU.
                                Last edited by Malts18; 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM.
                                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Working...
                                X