• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

"A Little Payback: UNH Beats BU 4-1"
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Fun game to watch. The Whit was rockin' and loud, kinda like the old days. UNH looks deep and balanced and DeSmith made some "grade A"stops after the first goal. Could be a fun year. GO BLUE
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Overall it was one of the more enjoyable games I've been to recently. The crowd was into the game from the beginning and the team didn't disappoint. I like the physicality that they're bringing this year. I think all of the lines are effective right now, although I would like to see Goumas step up a little more.

The dedication to defense has been impressive as everyone was blocking shots. Correale led the way and may have earned himself an everyday spot in the lineup, he was everywhere the puck was either laying down to block a shot, or taking out whichever BU player had it at that moment.

It's good to see Henrion getting off to a good start after last year, he has an incredible shot and if he can put it on target (while avoiding the posts he's prone to hit) he could have a big year.

I was glad to see Desmith shut down BU after that first goal. I've been waiting for a big performance and last night he corrected some of the problems I had seen in him in the first few games.

The more games they play the more the physicality, speed, and offense become a trend than an aberration, next weeks home and home with NU will be the next test to see the real identity of the team.

Comment

What was the deal with the lights last night? I know it takes a while for them to come up at full strength and they were, why did they lower them? That's happened before.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            What was the deal with the lights last night? I know it takes a while for them to come up at full strength and they were, why did they lower them? That's happened before.
            somebody was "asleep at the switch"
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

It has been a lot of years since I have seen this effective combination of "snarl & skill" from the Wildcats. Correale may be the second coming of Dave Lumley who exemplified that combination. If you weren't around in the early 70's look him up ....... I am quite certain that myself and others have some great Lumley stories/observations.
              Last edited by sonar; 10-21-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                It has been a lot of years since I have seen this effective combination of "snarl & skill" from the Wildcats. Correale may be the second coming of Dave Lumley who exemplified that combination. If you weren't around in the early 70's look him up ....... I am quite certain that myself and others have some great Lumley stories/observations.
                Dan Correale, the left-handed version of Dave Lumley - now that's high praise. Lumley was a tough SOB who could score. I think I remember Lumley as being more of an upright skater whereas Correale is a head-first, full speed ahead guy. Remember that Correale was ready to come to UNH last season but shoulder surgery lead to a 1 year postponement.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

In 4 years and 126 games at UNH it looks like he averaged .... 14 goals; 29 assists; and 49 penalty minutes per year. He was also on two Stanley Cup teams with Edmonton .... and if I remember correctly skated for a period of time on the Gretsky line.

"Snarl & Skill .... a number of the 12-13 UNH team appear to demonstrate this. Balancing these two characteristics is not an easy thing but the closer you come to that middle the more you have a team that is very hard to play against.

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                    Wildcat Country Mourns the Loss of Former Baseball Coach and Men's Hockey Assistant Chris Serino
                    http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20121018vgxn1q

If UNH-Merrimack in Manchester is to become a permanent replacement for the Dartmouth game perhaps the successor to the RiverStone trophy or even a "player of the game award" for it could be named in Serino's honor, ala the "Ned Harkness Cup" & "Shawn Walsh Memorial Trophy" (MVP) down at the Maine/Cornell co-hosted Everblades College Classic.
                    Fine idea. Nice tribute to Serino before the anthem last night.

I agree with other posts here that UNH seems to be off to their best start in years, despite not having a true sniper up front. I really liked UNH taking play to the middle of the ice, skating the puck into the middle of the BU zone rather than constantly dumping into the corners.

Comment

Whisper it quietly... we're going to win it all this year... shhhhh. Don't tell anyone though.
                      UNH Hockey: Class and panache

Comment

Originally posted by LimeyCat View Post
                        Whisper it quietly... xxxxxxxxxxxxx... shhhhh. Don't tell anyone though.
                        Or this could just be a big tease with a fun team to watch that has nothing more to give at the end of the year, no additional gear available.

To this point I am happy with how hard they have played. Particularly how un-UNH like they have been going to the center of the ice.

I'll just be happy with the now, thanks.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

So in comparison with the last few years, I'm thinking:

Yep! This is fun.
                          Wow! This is so much better.
                          *nod* There's reason to walk into the Whitt with the hope of something more than, "Will they score at least one goal tonight?"

Also wondering who cast the 1 vote for UNH on the poll this week. *grin* Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                            Also wondering who cast the 1 vote for UNH on the poll this week. *grin* Thoughts?
                            I do not know about this week, but Nick P said that he would bet that there was a 99.9999999% chance that it was Jerry York who voted UNH at the top in the HE pre-season coaches' poll.

Comment

Big weekend ahead. Will be our biggest test yet - by far. BU will be good - but they are off to a slow start imo.
                              NU always plays us hard, and normally wins battles for pucks - hopefully with this years team that will change. Go 'Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                I do not know about this week, but Nick P said that he would bet that there was a 99.9999999% chance that it was Jerry York who voted UNH at the top in the HE pre-season coaches' poll.
                                Hope it is just a broken sarcasm detector, but you do realize you cant vote for your own team... hence it was york!
                                Last edited by JB; 10-25-2012, 09:02 PM.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X