• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Nice post, Greg.

Chris Serino was a fine human being.

Comment

So are we supposed to "Blue Out the Whit" on Saturday or has UNH given up on Jack remembering to tell the boys to pack white?
      Last edited by Verkligen; 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
        So are we supposed to "Blue Out the Whit" on Saturday or has UNH given up on Jack remembering to tell the boys to pack white?
        Wildcat Army ‏@WildcatArmy
        Don’t forget that Saturday’s game is a Blue Out! Wear your away jerseys and blue UNH gear! #BlueOutTheWhitt #UNHHockey #UNH
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

In addition to his role with the hockey team, Serino was also head coach of the baseball team at UNH for 3 years and led them to a school-record 26 victories in 1995.

The turn around of the 1990's under the team of Umile (1990- ), McCloskey (1993-1997, 1999-2002), and Serino (1991-1998) is really quite extraordinary - they hadn't made the NCAAs since 1983 and make appearances in '92, '94, '95, '97, & '98 including a Frozen Four in the last one; hadn't won a Regular Season title since 1974 (ECAC) and win it in '92 & '97 (latter shared with BU).
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Oh, and nice to hear the pep band take the goal song in the third period against SCSU Friday night and the whole game Saturday, hopefully something that is here to stay.
            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Quick-hit thoughts --

- Going to be a really tough game against BU. I'd love to see the 'Cats get the W - but it will require a really solid game for 60 minutes. No periods like the second periods last weekend.

- It was nice to see MacDonald and Gaudreault in the line up last weekend. It'll be tough for Umile to work in everyone, but its always fun to watch a Freshman grow. Gaudreault had some real bright spots with the puck.

- Pesce's hands are great. Makes great tape to tape passes, and while he might not be the strongest body, he makes up for with his stick work.

- I was surprised Wyer didn't get a start last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                - Pesce's hands are great. Makes great tape to tape passes, and while he might not be the strongest body, he makes up for with his stick work.
                And foot work. He stopped a couple of rushes by tying everything up with his stick and getting the puck with a skate. Then a smooth transition to his one stick. It was a couple times over the weekend. Looks to have a bug frame too, so some time in the weight room will help with the strenght. Seemed an impressive freshman.

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                - I was surprised Wyer didn't get a start last weekend.
                I wasn't, he didn't look really strong to me in his 30 minutes in the exhibition game, just looked off, rusty. My guess is maybe next weekend against Northeastern or 11/2 vs Umass or 11/10 vs Vermont. UNH wants a fast start to help put last year behind them and it makes me wonder where you work in Wyer's playing time.

My big question against BU: UNH scored 9 goals against SCSU, all down low. Is that a focus for UNH to manufacture goals or was SCSU just really bad down low. The next few game it will be interesting to see if UNH can fight for that space or do the go back to being stuck outside.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                  Oh, and nice to hear the pep band take the goal song in the third period against SCSU Friday night and the whole game Saturday, hopefully something that is here to stay.
                  AGREE! Play on pep band!

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on availability of tickets at the door on Saturday night? General admission or reserved, either would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                      I thought last Friday's SCSU game was a Blue Out game until I realized I was just seeing empty seats.

In all seriousness, that was pretty disappointing for a season opener.

On a positive note, the student section and pep band were great!
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

From the Concord Monitor:

Goumas said it's (blocking shots) becoming a point of emphasis for the team, and everyone's getting in on it - some more than others.

"This kid, Brett Pesce, he's a freshman, every time in practice, whether we're doing power play and he's on the mock penalty kill, he blocks everything," he said. "We just say he eats pucks all the time."
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Wildcat Country Mourns the Loss of Former Baseball Coach and Men's Hockey Assistant Chris Serino
                          http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20121018vgxn1q

If UNH-Merrimack in Manchester is to become a permanent replacement for the Dartmouth game perhaps the successor to the RiverStone trophy or even a "player of the game award" for it could be named in Serino's honor, ala the "Ned Harkness Cup" & "Shawn Walsh Memorial Trophy" (MVP) down at the Maine/Cornell co-hosted Everblades College Classic.
                          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM.
                          Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            I thought last Friday's SCSU game was a Blue Out game until I realized I was just seeing empty seats.
                            I had the same thought as I was leaving the Saturday game, my friends and I commented that they probably introduced the Blue Out games to hide the empty seats.

I think the issue with filling the seats is the pricing of those seats matched with the relative lack of success in recent years (Hockey east and national championships). Just looking quickly through other Hockey East schools and I saw things like BC which with all their championships have their most expensive season ticket listed at $295. Northeastern charges $20 per home game, with 18 home games, face value on a season ticket is $360, but they only charge $195 for their "Premium" seats, additionally they offer discounted seats for youths which makes it more appealing to families. The only school I saw with prices approaching UNH were BU at $395, and they have the new arena. Personally I'm not complaining, I feel that the quality in the hockey I see is worth what I pay, but I know there are a lot of people that are hockey east fans more than fans of a specific school, and they will travel to find lower price tickets rather than tie themselves to one arena. The school tries to do a lot to get people at games with promotions, but the only way they'll fill the seats at the prices they charge is by becoming a national contender on an annual basis again.

Comment

Alright, UNH'ers... you have to admit it now, this team is FUN to watch. They are starting to show that they have some high end skill, are really fast, and their defense is lightyears ahead of last yr's team. Only a Megan goal by BU in the first minute tonight was all that got by Casey DeSmith, and then it was all the UNH D and some good saves the rest of the way.

4 hit posts to go with all the goals and this could have been a 7-1 or 8-1 game. Hard to read too much into the early season, but this team has the potential to do some very good things this season. Great mix of upper and lowerclassmen, too. Great leaders (Burke, Henrion, Block) and the incoming freshmen (Pesce (wow.. what a good defenseman... kid blocks everything and his outlet passes are excellent) & Correale (fast and has great offensive instinct) have made clear impacts on this team.

Northeastern for two next weekend... let's go, boys!
                              Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                              ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                              Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                              Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                              Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                              NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Well this team might be interesting.

SCSU might not have been an aberration. Again tonight UNH was faster, more physical, stronger in the corners and on the puck. They continued to go down low and in the tough areas of the ice, crashing the net. Game got very chippy as BU became frustrated, and UNH (for a change) didn't back down. I wonder what the forward ice time looks like, because it felt like lines 1-3 just rolled over the boards with the 4th mixed in. There were long periods of the game where it just felt like UNH is going after BU in waves.

D on this team looks to have a chance to be excellent. They need to keep growing, there are still break downs that need to be cleaned up. Each game they have looked better. Tonight there was a move forward to really understanding how to play together.

It will be interesting to see if this keeps building this way. Can they keep up the intensity and even increase when the time comes. Do they need to be this on all year to win? There was clearly some added intensity for BU probably left over from last spring.

The scoring is surprising based on the minimal turnover from last year and at this point it looks deep or maybe just balanced.

I like that they have staked a claim to the center of the ice. Big change from recent teams that were happy outside not getting dirty.

Just a very different feel than at any point last year.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X