This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

As for the team... I am still worried about scoring; I think it will need to be by committee. I worry that every goal is going to be a lot of grinding. I just don’t see any snipers.

DeSmith looked the same as last year, big and calm. Wyer looked like a guy who hasn't seen much ice time, not bad but rusty. With Wyer playing 96 minutes last year and needing surgery on his hip (?) is that a potential "red shirt"

First time I can remember at UNH where I see the D ahead of the Forwards talent wise. I think UNH may have one of the deepest groups of D-men I can remember. UNH is typically pretty light back there and I just like what I see (in 1 exhibition game). TvR looked fantastic in all zones, controlling play, if he plays that well all year it was nice watching him, he’s gone. Pesce didn't look like a freshman out there and that was nice to see. Big group too, only Kostolansky is under 6 feet, I noted during the game neither Pesce nor Quast looked that small next to Knodel.

On the power play there was a man in front of the net basically all the time. Plan seemed simple “let TVR shoot”. Also UNH looked like they were not staying way outside and brought the puck closer to the net. Hope with the coaches involved they don't mess it up, seems UNH has a hard time with the guy in front of the net concept.

Forwards - bummed not to see Freshman play, I think UNH will need them. I know the exhibition is partially to get everybody going again after the summer, but I would want to see unknowns out there as part of an eval. I think the growth in Downing and Thrush are going to be keys to scoring goals.

UNH looked fast and it was nice to see the X-men beat Northeastern 4-3. But I am concerned that on big ice UNH looked faster and better than they actually are going to be.

Happy Hockey is back.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      Interesting... did you notice it is FOX College sports but the SCSU game is Pacific as opposed to the rest that are Atlantic.
      I did notice that both the SCSU and BU games were Fox College sports (Pacific), while a majority were Atlantic. Fox College Sports has three networks designated by region (i.e., Pacific, Central, and Atlantic). However, I think these "regional listings" are in name only, and they put games on these channels with time slot openings...as the latter part of the Fox College Sports listings on the schedule do not even have a regional specification yet.

Comment

Jack Parker's take on UNH (from the Union Leader):

“They were terrific at the end, and we had everything we could do to get by them,” said BU coach Jack Parker at Hockey East's Media Day. “We're not the same team they played in the playoffs, and they're almost the same team.”

Parker said he picked UNH second behind Boston College in the preseason coaches' poll. UNH was the consensus fourth pick, behind UMass-Lowell and BU.

“I think their early problems were in goal, and they weren't quite as competitive as they should be because of that,” Parker said. “Once they shored that up, the rest of the guys pulled up their bootstraps and they went real hard at the end of the year”
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Jack Parker's take on UNH (from the Union Leader):

“They were terrific at the end, and we had everything we could do to get by them,” said BU coach Jack Parker at Hockey East's Media Day. “We're not the same team they played in the playoffs, and they're almost the same team.”

Parker said he picked UNH second behind Boston College in the preseason coaches' poll. UNH was the consensus fourth pick, behind UMass-Lowell and BU.

“I think their early problems were in goal, and they weren't quite as competitive as they should be because of that,” Parker said. “Once they shored that up, the rest of the guys pulled up their bootstraps and they went real hard at the end of the year”

So, first Jerry York sandbags UNH by picking us to finish #1, now Jack Parker piles on.

Comment

Just because...

Forwards - No significant departures from last year. Sure, Stevie Moses was fast, he could fly, etc., etc., etc. But he was all feet and no hands. Why was he in such a hurry to get to the opposing goal when he had so much trouble when he got there? More than 1/3 of his 22 goals came in just two games. So, more ice time and more shots for players who know that 'SNOG, shots-nearly-on-goal' is not a meaningful statistic.

Defense - Experienced, TVR going to next level, no player wearing #4 (still haunted by blind back passes)

Goaltending - solid and consistent from the start.

Opening weekend: With all due (dis)respect for the value of preseason polls, looks like UNH and SCSU are considered to be about equal. Both are picked to finish 4th in respective coaches conference polls and, when compared directly, each compiles nearly the same number of points in national rankings. On neutral ice you'd expect a split but two at home makes me think UNH should get at least 3 points this weekend.
            (USCHO.com, Oct 8, 2012: Others receiving votes: Colorado College 101, Air Force 93, New Hampshire 64, St. Cloud State 62, Ohio State 20)

Prediction: In the regular season two years ago UNH won 19 games (17 in conference) and scored 119 goals. Last year they scored 99 goals in the regular season. Can this team score 20 more goals (and, especially early on, allow a few less)? I'm optimistically thinking yes.

16 - 9 - 2 in conference
            19 - 10 - 5 overall

By the way, here's a statistical oddity...

In '09-'10 (Bobby Butler Sr year) UNH played a total of 39 games, scored 131 goals, had 225 assists = 356 total
            In '10-'11 (Paul Thompson Sr year) UNH played a total of 39 games, scored 131 goals, had 225 assists = 356 total

Comment

It's great to start out the year with a win. The defense is playing defense, and there's been two separate 5 goal matches (albeit an exhibition). I'm glad the 2nd period happened in the second, and not the third. Let's hope the back 3 go just as well for us.
              Hit Somebody!

Comment

2 big out of conference wins, nice start to the season. Balanced scoring attack, 3 pretty good lines. Good to see Quast get some time on D last night, with Gadreault and Macdonald getting some shifts on the 4th line tonight.

Comment

Couple quick odd items for UNH that I noted:

1) All 9 goals for UNH were scored from below the circles, at the crease, in the dirty areas.

2) UNH had at least 1 man in front of the net on all power plays

Both very un-UNH like in recent years
                  Last edited by JB; 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Congrats to the Cats for their weekend. Looking forward to my first visit of the season to Lake Whitt next Saturday.

Comment

Thinking this weekend will prove pretty important in months ahead... Thanks SCSU. Now go back to the WCHA and win.
                      Last edited by Verkligen; 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Nice start to the season for the Cats, Speelman and TVR impressed. DeSmith looked pretty solid in net as well. Going 2 for 10 on the power and 1 for 10 on the kill are both respectable. Certainly can't get too excited about these wins, because who knows how good St.Cloud is, but its the best start we could have asked for!
                        GO BLUE!

Comment

"UNH Sweeps St. Cloud"
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

When was the last time that UNH was tied for first in the PWR?

Comment

Mention should be made on this thread of the passing of Chris Serino. Serino was assistant coach at UNH for most of the'90's and was integral in recruiting many of thequality players that dotted the UNH roster during the late '90's and early 2000's (Darren Haydar for one). He came to UNH at the behest of Coach Umile, who was friends with Serino going back to their high school glory days when they grew up in the adjoining towns of Melrose and Saugus. I can attest as an eyewitness to their high school exploits that they were both very talented athletes. Below is a excerpt from today's Boston Herald article on Serino:

Longtime New Hampshire coach Dick Umile was friends with Serino dating to their own playing days. When Umile got the UNH job, he went on a recruiting trip to Northfield Mount Hermon to try to entice South Boston skater Scott Malone to Durham and wound up bringing both Malone and Serino, then the Northfield Mount Hermon coach, into the Wildcats fold.
                              “He was always a great friend of mine and was one of the great athletes during my era,’’ Umile said about the Saugus native. “He was a three-sport captain at AIC and probably the best baseball player around when I was in high school.’’
                              “It’s sad what he went through. He was a wonderful, wonderful person, and people don’t know how much he did for them. He was always very loyal to me.”

Chris Serino RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                When was the last time that UNH was tied for first in the PWR?
                                Probably a previous October.
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X