Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

    Could not agree with this statement more. (to Sonar's statement) Shrink the rink; you'll get a different (more intense) game, and more consistent results thru the season. Guaranteed. Minnesota built an Oly sheet around the same time as well.
    Last edited by bakchk20; 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM.
    Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

    Comment


    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

      Obviously the worst thing for the program is the Olympic sized rink (except for when we were a post away from a national championship and played in 3 out of 6 Final Fours). And stop the recruits from playing on Olympic sized rinks in the USHL where they are unable to score.

      pardon the snark, but if there was a systemic problem since 1995, wouldn't it manifest itself at all times, rather than just when the talent level goes down?
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM.
      The Umile legacy:
      14-15 8th place,
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place

      Comment


      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

        Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Obviously the worst thing for the program is the Olympic sized rink (except for when we were a post away from a national championship and played in 4 out of 6 Final Fours). And stop the recruits from playing on Olympic sized rinks in the USHL where they are unable to score.

        pardon the snark, but if there was a systemic problem since 1995, wouldn't it manifest itself at all times, rather than just when the talent level goes down?
        Couldn't agree more. The rink size is just a handy, convenient (and way too easy) excuse. Didn't seem to hurt them much in '98, '99, '02 and '03, did it?
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

        Comment


        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

          Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Couldn't agree more. The rink size is just a handy, convenient (and way too easy) excuse. Didn't seem to hurt them much in '98, '99, '02 and '03, did it?
          Chuck - 4 years in what, 19? Okay, it works sometimes, so let's say its one of several things, not the only thing. I will contend, from actually playing on both, that the intensity changes, and probably the focus, like it or not. How many games have you been to at the Whit where there is a virtual lull in play as guys just skate (coast) around avoiding contact and making 60' passes. I've had season tix since day 1 (and before) and have snoozed thru many such an occasion.

          If Umile had a choice, you think he would keep the big sheet? Doubt it. And why is that?

          And if you call the NCAA today and tell them you are building a new rink and ask "what size would they recommend"? Bet it's not Oly, as it was when the aforenoted schools build rinks in the 90's. Why would that be?

          Just sayin'; intensity and consistency -- there's a direct relationship.
          Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

          Comment


          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

            Wasn't there talk like 8-10 years ago of UNH downsizing the rink to 200x85?
            Norwich and UNH fan.

            Comment


            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

              Originally posted by sonar View Post
              Objectivity is a function of sociological distance .... thanks for "allowing" other opinions .........
              I wouldn't take his comments that way, sonar. He's just offering a unique perspective and not discounting anyone else's.
              Norwich and UNH fan.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by NUCC93 View Post
                Wasn't there talk like 8-10 years ago of UNH downsizing the rink to 200x85?
                They shrunk the corners.
                UNH

                "Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

                Comment


                • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                  Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                  They shrunk the corners.
                  Rounding the corners was a good idea, they were deep. That being said, the ice condition is routinely horrible, slow and makes the 200x100 even bigger.
                  UNH Wildcats

                  1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

                  So much for empty trophy cases

                  Comment


                  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                    Originally posted by sonar View Post
                    They do not have Olympic size ice sheets ........
                    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/arenas.php

                    I was mostly incorrect. Not sure why I thought that about Conte. Notre Dame might be close enough, at least by eyeballing on the TV.

                    Interesting though, that we played St Cloud here, and CC there this year.
                    Last edited by Umileated; 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM.
                    Hit Somebody!

                    Comment


                    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                      Thanks for the support NUCC, I meant as you took it, Just my perspective ....I do believe that Umile would like a smaller surface but he's moved on from that....as for too much expenditure on hockey? It's the only athletic program that brings in any money, even when paying off the note on the Whitt, but when UNH has only 4, that's 4, people assigned to finding funding for the athletic department! I'll bet that Quinnipiac despite its enrollment spends more on its athletics...just a guess

                      Comment


                      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                        Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        FYI guys, Umile takes a lot of grief here, yes you're entitled to your opinion, but make no mistake that UNH is very, very lucky to have him. Yes, he's a good friend of mine but he's never had a player walk off the team because of the way he was treated; and like Coach Holt, and shown from what Darius posted, very respected by his peers. Umi is quite the guy, great family man, and yes awesome coach! We are very lucky at UNH to have such high caliber coaches...
                        Couldn't agree more Zoofer
                        GO BLUE/GO UNH

                        COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

                        Comment


                        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                          Originally posted by bakchk20 View Post
                          Chuck - 4 years in what, 19? Okay, it works sometimes, so let's say its one of several things, not the only thing. I will contend, from actually playing on both, that the intensity changes, and probably the focus, like it or not. How many games have you been to at the Whit where there is a virtual lull in play as guys just skate (coast) around avoiding contact and making 60' passes. I've had season tix since day 1 (and before) and have snoozed thru many such an occasion.

                          If Umile had a choice, you think he would keep the big sheet? Doubt it. And why is that?

                          And if you call the NCAA today and tell them you are building a new rink and ask "what size would they recommend"? Bet it's not Oly, as it was when the aforenoted schools build rinks in the 90's. Why would that be?

                          Just sayin'; intensity and consistency -- there's a direct relationship.
                          I think some folks make too much of it, honestly. Being aggressive, intense and focused are all behaviors, and I've always enjoyed whatever success I've had in athletics or just in real life by addressing the behavior directly - not tinkering with conditions. Blaming basic player behavior and mindset on static conditions like the size of the surface is just a little too wishy-washy for my liking. We can agree to disagree, but when I read about how it's the surface size, I just
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

                          Comment


                          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                            Honest question: What is the record of the team in the HE semis/finals + NCAA games (assuming UNH has only played in a regulation size rink in the NCAAs) since moving to the Whitt from Snively?

                            Sure there are a few FFs and a few HE titles in there but they were bound to win a few games here and there as a result, right?

                            It's an interesting discussion.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

                            Comment


                            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                              Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              I think some folks make too much of it, honestly. Being aggressive, intense and focused are all behaviors
                              So is creativity with the puck and ability to see scoring areas. The 1995-2004 teams had the benefit of Krog (2nd in BCHL scoring), Mowers (led USHL in goals), Bogi (led US U18 team in scoring), Haydar (set OJHL goal scoring record), Colin H (9th in BCHL scoring) and Brett H (7th in BCHL scoring).

                              Today's team has no player who finished in the top 40 in USHL scoring, or the top 10 in BCHL scoring, and only one made the US Select team (Henrion). [Think about that and let it sink in]. Frankly, Umile has done a great job motivating this pile of talent to have the intensity to resemble a top 20 team.

                              Somehow I think making the rink smaller isn't the issue.

                              [I am not counting the impressive achievement that EACH time UNH has actually gotten commitments from that type of talent, they have not come. The USHL's top 15 scorer (Vecchione), The BCHL's top d and top 10 scorer (Laleggia), the USHL's Top Forward (Matt White) and the Select 17 and 18 top scorer (Bourque) and BCHL #11 scorer (Cam Reid)]
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM.
                              The Umile legacy:
                              14-15 8th place,
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place

                              Comment


                              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

                                Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                So is creativity with the puck and ability to see scoring areas. The 1995-2004 teams had the benefit of Krog (2nd in BCHL scoring), Mowers (led USHL in goals), Bogi (led US U18 team in scoring), Haydar (set OJHL goal scoring record), Colin H (9th in BCHL scoring) and Brett H (7th in BCHL scoring).

                                Today's team has no player who finished in the top 40 in USHL scoring, or the top 10 in BCHL scoring, and only one made the US Select team (Henrion). [Think about that and let it sink in]. Frankly, Umile has done a great job motivating this pile of talent to have the intensity to resemble a top 20 team.

                                Somehow I think making the rink smaller isn't the issue.
                                It is not the rink. It is talent AND the fact that UNH seems to get dumber the longer the season goes on. Look back and you see a history of stupid plays at bad times. Most of those dumb plays were missing in this last fall and they are showing up now. I commented several times that I liked they were doing the little things right. Well now they panic and (or don’t and still) do the little things wrong, and at the wrong times.

                                Maine won this last weekend because they were patient, smart, and when opportunity presented itself they hit the back of the net. UNH lost because they were impatient, dumb and did a good job of hitting the goalie in the chest.

                                Rink size had nothing to do with it. The ice is routinely crap in Durham these days unless it is below 20 outside but that isn't the issue either.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X