X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Defense wins championships.
    Exactly. If the Cats had continued to play team defense like I watched them play against Lowell, BU, and others in the first half of the season, the regular season championship would have been wrapped up a couple of weeks ago. Where did that team defense concept go since the Colorado trip? How can the Cats get it back? This team does not have a single player who can create offense or be that sniper goal scorer when needed. So, the only way that this team is going far in the post-season this year will be based on their support of one another on defense, in my opinion. And, of course, DeSmith cannot have any "off" games.

Comment

where did that team go , they became to offensive minded and forgot what got them the # 1 ranking in the first place
      D E F E N S E . Ive been saying this for weeks . But i think this team has finally bought into this concept once again .

Comment

does anyone know how the cats stand with injuries heading into the last two weeks ...........

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
          Play each game to win, and make it a habit. As I've said before, you have to be hot, lucky, or both to win it all. Let's start with hot (which, quite frankly, we haven't been for a while now. There's no time like the present.) And as to 1982's point about UMass and Maine, sure, they'll be playing for their lives, but who won't be, come tourney time? Play with that mindset now. By the time we get to that point, I hope that UNH will be playing hungry hockey rather than scared hockey.
          We have a winner, right here.

For those who say UMass Amherst and UMaine are "playing for their playoff lives" ... there is a reason they're down where they are, and it's because they're not as good as the top six teams. No one is saying they won't be motivated, but why should that make any difference against an equally-motivated, more talented UNH team on its home ice?? The only variable there is IF UNH isn't equally-motivated as their opposition. And for the life of me, with two weekends left in the regular season, and nothing but elimination games facing them from that point forward ... why wouldn't/shouldn't UNH be at least equally motivated as lower tier opponents, who realistically have very little chance of getting past the HE Quarters, much less winning postseason hardware??

A UNH team that takes at least 7 points these next two weekends tells me there is hope and a legit shot at playing for postseason honors at some point.

A UNH team that finishes 3rd place or lower in the regular season could fall in the HE Quarters again, and not even make it to Boston. Even if they get past the HE Quarters from that position, does anyone really think they have a legit shot at taking the HE Tourney, or later on even advancing out of their (host) NCAA bracket?

I want to believe this year is "the year", but the win one, lose/tie one pattern of the last two months does not fill me with optimism. And if they can't be expected to win some very winnable games against lower-tier opposition AT HOME these next two weekends, how can we expect them to beat BC, UMass-Lowell, PC, BU or Merrimack in future elimination games?? From here on out, it's all about desire and focus, and if UNH can't find both quickly, their opponents will, and another post-season will end without any hardware, most likely early in the weekend of the NCAA Regionals in their home state, as we've seen happen a few times in the past.

I still do think UNH has outperformed their preseason expectations, and I do give them a ton of credit for turning things around from last season. But that's just a consolation prize, and a month from now, no one will care about "moral victories". But somehow, factors have conspired to give them a chance to do a whole lot more than outperform preseason expectations. I'm sure the coaches and players at a few other HE schools are thinking the same thing right now, so the sooner UNH shows it's up for the fight, the better I'll feel about their postseason chances. The postseason is no place for a "soft" team to expect any success. JMHO.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            We have a winner, right here.

For those who say UMass Amherst and UMaine are "playing for their playoff lives" ... there is a reason they're down where they are, and it's because they're not as good as the top six teams. No one is saying they won't be motivated, but why should that make any difference against an equally-motivated, more talented UNH team on its home ice?? The only variable there is IF UNH isn't equally-motivated as their opposition. And for the life of me, with two weekends left in the regular season, and nothing but elimination games facing them from that point forward ... why wouldn't/shouldn't UNH be at least equally motivated as lower tier opponents, who realistically have very little chance of getting past the HE Quarters, much less winning postseason hardware??

A UNH team that takes at least 7 points these next two weekends tells me there is hope and a legit shot at playing for postseason honors at some point.

A UNH team that finishes 3rd place or lower in the regular season could fall in the HE Quarters again, and not even make it to Boston. Even if they get past the HE Quarters from that position, does anyone really think they have a legit shot at taking the HE Tourney, or later on even advancing out of their (host) NCAA bracket?

I want to believe this year is "the year", but the win one, lose/tie one pattern of the last two months does not fill me with optimism. And if they can't be expected to win some very winnable games against lower-tier opposition AT HOME these next two weekends, how can we expect them to beat BC, UMass-Lowell, PC, BU or Merrimack in future elimination games?? From here on out, it's all about desire and focus, and if UNH can't find both quickly, their opponents will, and another post-season will end without any hardware, most likely early in the weekend of the NCAA Regionals in their home state, as we've seen happen a few times in the past.

I still do think UNH has outperformed their preseason expectations, and I do give them a ton of credit for turning things around from last season. But that's just a consolation prize, and a month from now, no one will care about "moral victories". But somehow, factors have conspired to give them a chance to do a whole lot more than outperform preseason expectations. I'm sure the coaches and players at a few other HE schools are thinking the same thing right now, so the sooner UNH shows it's up for the fight, the better I'll feel about their postseason chances. The postseason is no place for a "soft" team to expect any success. JMHO.
            i agree with everything stated above , however I think maine might be a little better than there record indicates , but UNH should take7 out 8 points and win hockey east ... One could look at lowel 5 weeks ago , look at them now...

Comment

sorry at work got cut off......

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                does anyone know how the cats stand with injuries heading into the last two weeks ...........
                According to Al Pike, Greg Burke and Jeff Silengo are still out with concussions and Nick Sorkin (hand injury) will play.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  According to Al Pike, Greg Burke and Jeff Silengo are still out with concussions and Nick Sorkin (hand injury) will play.
                  any time table on silengo.

Comment

Like 1982, I agree with the gist of what C Murray says but to put things in context I'll liken the discussion to having just heard Barry Melrose talk about the Blackhawks chances of keeping their run going on PTI, " given the way our game goes, injuries, puck bounces, ref calls anything can come into play...." We all love hockey for how tough it is to win thru So many variables....does UNH choke every year? I say I'm not happy that we have no NC but no way do we choke! Am I proud that year in, year out we compete with schools who have unlimited athletic facilities and budget, you're GD straight!! When the university as a whole is given $49 million for operation and Michigan's athletic budget alone is $98 million, then yes I'm proud of UNH every year!!
                    If you don't think that any of this has an effect on how a team produces on the ice, well then why all the conference changes within college sports to maximize the TV buck?
                    As I've always said, enjoy the journey not just where you end up.....

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                      Like 1982, I agree with the gist of what C Murray says but to put things in context I'll liken the discussion to having just heard Barry Melrose talk about the Blackhawks chances of keeping their run going on PTI, " given the way our game goes, injuries, puck bounces, ref calls anything can come into play...." We all love hockey for how tough it is to win thru So many variables....does UNH choke every year? I say I'm not happy that we have no NC but no way do we choke! Am I proud that year in, year out we compete with schools who have unlimited athletic facilities and budget, you're GD straight!! When the university as a whole is given $49 million for operation and Michigan's athletic budget alone is $98 million, then yes I'm proud of UNH every year!!
                      If you don't think that any of this has an effect on how a team produces on the ice, well then why all the conference changes within college sports to maximize the TV buck?
                      As I've always said, enjoy the journey not just where you end up.....
                      Zoofer, I usually like what you have to say. Given that, UNH has choked over the years. Do you believe that Maine, RPI, Minn-Duluth had bigger budgets than UNH? They have all won championships since UNH became relevant. Even tonite they are tied against one of the lowest ranked HE teams at home. Budgets aren't their problem. They don't, and haven't ever, had a killer attitude. See BC.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                        Zoofer, I usually like what you have to say. Given that, UNH has choked over the years. Do you believe that Maine, RPI, Minn-Duluth had bigger budgets than UNH? They have all won championships since UNH became relevant. Even tonite they are tied against one of the lowest ranked HE teams at home. Budgets aren't their problem. They don't, and haven't ever, had a killer attitude. See BC.
                        make that "were tied"

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          make that "were tied"
                          Ok, make that "tied again."

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                            i agree with everything stated above , however I think maine might be a little better than there record indicates , but UNH should take7 out 8 points and win hockey east ... One could look at lowel 5 weeks ago , look at them now...
                            Ok, we have one of those 7 points.......now we just need to win the final three games.......so, DeSmith kept the Cats in the game tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Ok, we have one of those 7 points.......now we just need to win the final three games.......so, DeSmith kept the Cats in the game tonight?
                              Are we supposed to feel good about that sister kisser?
                              UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                                Are we supposed to feel good about that sister kisser?
                                Pretty hard to...UMass is a REALLY bad team
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X