This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Season Thread

Seemed clear to me what was going on, Umile isnt getting what he wants, so he is going to make changes. I though UNH played faster and harder last night compared to Friday and last weekend. If you wont play hard you might not get ice time. Friday Umile changed two of the four lines. Saturday he tipped the line up on its head.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
      Seemed clear to me what was going on, Umile isnt getting what he wants, so he is going to make changes. I though UNH played faster and harder last night compared to Friday and last weekend. If you wont play hard you might not get ice time. Friday Umile changed two of the four lines. Saturday he tipped the line up on its head.
      Freshman and Sophomore forwards are energenic and competitive. A good thing going into Feb.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Will there be any write-ups of the weekend games on the UNH men's hockey blog, C-H-C?? Just wondering since you've been doing a great job on those and always look forward to reading the write-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Sorkin/Pesce: Something that is/isn't happening in practice? Obviously not much news leaks from the locker room. For Sorkin it could be a lingering injury, but he has had a disappointing year, not because of exceptionally poor play, but the thinking he would have the kind of leap year that Goumas is having and he has not. It was good for Quast to get the experience.

Burke is still recovering from a hit to the head. Impression at the time was he may be done for the year.

If there was time to score should there not have been a subsequent face off? Is there a rule that says no face-off required if a minimum amount of time remains? The 2 goals in the last minute plus of period 2 were a welcome reversal from the previous night, taking she fight out of the Warriors.
          According to people who have talked to the parents, Burke is indeed done. Kid could never catch a break. Injured in his USHL year and never fully healthy any of his four seasons at UNH. Always played hard and seemed to have a good grasp of defensive responsibilities. It's a shame he never had a chance to fully use the skills he has.

As for Pesce, Sorkin, et al, I hope that it is made clear to the players that those who play hard will play, those who don't sit or get reduced playing time. Gaudreault is taking a regular shift, MacDonald was in the lineup last night, skated hard and got a goal. That's the type of effort that is going to be rewarded. As for Pesce, was he out there for either of Merrimack's last two goals on Friday? If he was, it could be the reason he didn't play last night.

Bottom line here is that UNH's talent level, just like the rest of the league's is not that good or deep that they can coast through a game and expect to win. I am assuming that is the message that Umile and the rest of the staff are imparting to the players. Almost every game from here on in is winnable and every game is losable as well. That's something that the entire roster should take to heart.

One other thing. I am with Go Blue when it comes to the Verizon. The announced attendance of 6600 plus had to include some season ticket holders (some of whom I know) who won't go to Manchester. When the game started there couldn't have been more than 3,000 people there. And the atmosphere. What is the opposite of electric? Comatose? I heard a story of a student who went to the Whit earlier in the week to pick up a ticket for the game. When she found out it was in Manchester she turned around and walked out, even after being enticed by the prospect of bus for students to go to the game.

In the past Marty Scarano has said that UNH plays in Manchester to show the NCAA that they are worthy of hosting and getting good crowds to the regionals. It is obviously easy to say that last night's game proves the opposite but, at this point, it doesn't really matter. UNH hosting the regionals has been a proven success so I see no need to use that as an excuse as to why the play a regular season game at the Verizon. My biggest objection is when we play a league game there. There isn't another team in Hockey East that does that. Maine plays at the CCC, but against the likes of Mercyhurst but you never see BU or BC hosting a game at a neutral site. If they don't, why should we? There is no longer a valid reason to do it, especially at 5PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            According to people who have talked to the parents, Burke is indeed done. Kid could never catch a break. Injured in his USHL year and never fully healthy any of his four seasons at UNH. Always played hard and seemed to have a good grasp of defensive responsibilities. It's a shame he never had a chance to fully use the skills he has.

As for Pesce, Sorkin, et al, I hope that it is made clear to the players that those who play hard will play, those who don't sit or get reduced playing time. Gaudreault is taking a regular shift, MacDonald was in the lineup last night, skated hard and got a goal. That's the type of effort that is going to be rewarded. As for Pesce, was he out there for either of Merrimack's last two goals on Friday? If he was, it could be the reason he didn't play last night.

Bottom line here is that UNH's talent level, just like the rest of the league's is not that good or deep that they can coast through a game and expect to win. I am assuming that is the message that Umile and the rest of the staff are imparting to the players. Almost every game from here on in is winnable and every game is losable as well. That's something that the entire roster should take to heart.

One other thing. I am with Go Blue when it comes to the Verizon. The announced attendance of 6600 plus had to include some season ticket holders (some of whom I know) who won't go to Manchester. When the game started there couldn't have been more than 3,000 people there. And the atmosphere. What is the opposite of electric? Comatose? I heard a story of a student who went to the Whit earlier in the week to pick up a ticket for the game. When she found out it was in Manchester she turned around and walked out, even after being enticed by the prospect of bus for students to go to the game.

In the past Marty Scarano has said that UNH plays in Manchester to show the NCAA that they are worthy of hosting and getting good crowds to the regionals. It is obviously easy to say that last night's game proves the opposite but, at this point, it doesn't really matter. UNH hosting the regionals has been a proven success so I see no need to use that as an excuse as to why the play a regular season game at the Verizon. My biggest objection is when we play a league game there. There isn't another team in Hockey East that does that. Maine plays at the CCC, but against the likes of Mercyhurst but you never see BU or BC hosting a game at a neutral site. If they don't, why should we? There is no longer a valid reason to do it, especially at 5PM.
            http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/boxes13.php?mmerunh1.j25
            Has Pesce on the ice for the second Collins goal, though there are four forwards and one d listed for the third goal, off the face off in the third so I assume that's not accurate...

Comment

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
              Will there be any write-ups of the weekend games on the UNH men's hockey blog, C-H-C?? Just wondering since you've been doing a great job on those and always look forward to reading the write-ups.
              Thanks NHCF. Unfortunately, for my wallet at least, I was in Las Vegas - as opposed to ManchVegas - over the weekend. Saw a couple periods of game at Merrimack online. Thought UNH played better team defense overall but they have to find a way to control opposing forwards behind the UNH net. There have been several times this season that a goal against DeSmith has originated from behind him.

Thought Wyer played well, though viewing online doesn't show the details of how close he is to the post or how close the puck was when it went by him. Have noticed that Wyer is more effective than DeSmith at stopping and controlling the puck when it is goes behind the net. Sometimes, the puck either goes over DeSmith's stick when he tries to pin it up against the backboards or he doesn't get to it in time. Wyer plays it more like a 3rd defenseman, controlling the puck and passing it along to the appropriate UNH D-man. It's hard to come up with an aspect of goaltending that DeSmith could improve on but this is one.

Noticed on the replay of Merrimack's 2nd goal at the Verizon that Goumas could have been more effective at covering the 3rd Merrimack player entering the zone. He admitted in an article last week that he missed his coverage on a similar play in the Providence game. Again, I don't intend to criticize a player who excels in so many areas (did anyone predict Goumas would have 30 points by this time in the season and be in the conversation for the Hobey?). Give him credit for taking responsibility when he makes a mistake.

I think Collin MacDonald scoring a goal after not playing for several games is a good example of how the freshman forwards keep plugging away in practice and are ready when the opportunity comes to play. Correale on the first line, Gaudreault playing every game, MacDonald contributing, Pesce starting virtually every game - all indicators that Coach Umile is serious about giving the frosh key roles. I heard from a reporter that covers the team closely that Pesce may have a nagging, minor injury in one of his wrists/hands. As Darius pointed out, Harry Quast - another freshman - got some valuable experience on Saturday. He's played in 2 games and his +/- is 0 - can't ask for much more from a walkon.

Another thing I find interesting - if you follow the players' tweets, you'll see that they razz and support each other whether they are in the lineup or not. Even Jamie Hill, who hasn't played yet, chirps away at his teammates and they reciprocate. In the past, fans couldn't gain much insight into team dynamics off the ice. Twitter gives us a peek into how the players relate to each other. Also, several UNH players and JvR have been tweeting back and forth. The time he spent skating with the team during the NHL lockout was a plus for all involved.
              Last edited by C-H-C; 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

I watched the replay of the hit that knocked Greg Burke out of the BC game. You're so right Greg - he can't buy a break. He was hit from the side with a clean check but he was off balance a little right before impact. Burke's head slammed up against the glass along the backwall but he kept right on skating. In fact, Burke went out with his line on the next 3 shifts but you could tell he was off. He shortshifted each time and Jay Camper jumped on the ice to replace him. One of these times, it left Camper way behind the play and BC scored on an odd-man rush. Wish Burke nothing but the best in his recovery.

Agree that playing a Hockey East opponent in Verizon doesn't have much upside. Only one I can think of is that it gives UNH fans from the central, western and southwestern part of the state a chance to see the team. There was a great turnout of UNH fans at the Dartmouth game in Hanover.

Comment

October 2012
                  Originally posted by sonar View Post
                  It has been a lot of years since I have seen this effective combination of "snarl & skill" from the Wildcats. Correale may be the second coming of Dave Lumley who exemplified that combination. If you weren't around in the early 70's look him up ....... I am quite certain that myself and others have some great Lumley stories/observations.
                  I am not at all surprised that Correale is on the first line .... just surprised it took 3 months for "someone" to realize it ........
                  Last edited by sonar; 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

M.
                    A.
                    I.
                    N.
                    E.

Thaaaaanks, Maine.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                      M.
                      A.
                      I.
                      N.
                      E.

Thaaaaanks, Maine.
                      *laugh* Ditto!

Comment

Journeying over from the UK to run the rule on the team this weekend. Despite the inconsistency of the last month or so I really expect 4 points. Which players should I be keeping a particular eye on? Looking forward to catching up with some of you again!
                        UNH Hockey: Class and panache

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                          October 2012

I am not at all surprised that Correale is on the first line .... just surprised it took 3 months for "someone" to realize it ........
                          Here's a feature article on Dan Correale:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...2/-1/FOSSPORTS

Comment

Friday I was too low and at one end of the rink so really analyzing the game was tough. Wyer seemed to have a few adventures that didn't bite him but the second period goal he came off the post anticipation of the pass. It was a tough 5 on 5 play for Wyer as no UNH player pressured the guy behind the net. MC does a great job working down low to get guys and sticks free. Umile did change up the lines some but still there wasn't much spark. Since Thanksgiving I think a sense of urgency has been missing, almost like the comeback against Denver gave them too much confidence that they could comeback so not every shift is important.

Saturday I was up off the ice and could really see the play. Even though the shots were even I thought UNH controlled the play in the 1st and forced a style UNH likes. My feel of these two teams is UNH wants to up tempo and MC wants to down tempo. When I say up tempo we are not talking about the 97-98 season of crazy offense and limited D but rather UNH wants to move. The rolling 4 lines and speed of this UNH team are tough on the other team and you could see MC having issues towards the end of the first.

In general UNH was quickly passing out of any MC forecheck and moving rapidly up the ice. The UNH wingers were moving down the ice stretching MC D and there were numerous long passes.

In the 2nd MC changed up the forecheck and were very effective the 1st 10 minutes, completely changing the pace of the game. I didn't see what MC was doing until I spotted UNH break it the first time. UNH likes to move the puck D to D, up the boards and then diagonally cross the neutral zone. MC did a great job of stopping the move up the boards in the UNH zone on Friday, but Saturday in the first it wasn't as effective. I think the transition from D to forward on the boards was happening lower in the zone during the 1st period - but I wasn't paying that close attention. MC switched to some sort of forecheck to basically shut off that side of the ice, so going D to D behind the net was a problem. The solution UNH found in the mid to late second was to pivot the D back with the puck and not pass D to D. With MC flowing to one side of the ice a pivoting D-man had a lane open to the far blue line for a long pass to the forward on the same side.

Now with both options open UNH had an easier time getting the puck up the ice and it lead to some quick goals at the end of the 2nd. I was impressed by the mid period adjustment. Typically UNH beats their heads against the wall until the end of the period.

In the 3rd MC changed forecheck again. If UNH had the puck clean MC would generally fall back into a 5 man center ice trap. This slowed the game but the damage had already been done. Additionally UNH D-men now carry the puck well enough that the trap is not as challenging as it has been in past years.

Also the Power Play Saturday was a pleasant surprise and not just the production. More importantly it was the use of a couple different looks. MC could just sit in a 4 man box with UNH hanging outside. UNH ran a true umbrella with 3 guys up the middle. They also ran a set with 2 guys down in front of the net.

The line-up changes did cause some interesting play. Several times new line mates ran into each other or passed to where they thought the other guy was going but he wasn’t. There was definitely some feeling out on the ice.

Seems clear to me with the line-up changes, the mid-period adjustments, and the new PP look Umile was no longer happy with the status quo. It makes me happy he has the depth and is willing to shaking things up to keep guys playing hard.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

UNH at the Verizon Wireless Arena

Riverstone Cup
                              12-13-01 UNH 6 Dartmouth 3 Attendance: 10,053
                              1-15-03 UNH 1 Dartmouth 1 Attendance: 10,104
                              1-13-04 UNH 5 Dartmouth 0 Attendance: 10,104
                              1-12-05 Dartmouth 9 UNH 8 Attendance: 9,405
                              1-14-06 UNH 5 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 7,018
                              1-13-07 UNH 4 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 9,640
                              1-19-08 Dartmouth 5 UNH 3 Attendance: 8,654
                              1-17-09 UNH 6 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 8,001
                              1-16-10 UNH 5 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 7,573
                              1-15-11 Dartmouth 5 UNH 4 Attendance: 7,704
                              1-14-12 UNH 4 Dartmouth 1 Attendance: 5,301
                              1-26-13 UNH 6 Merrimack 2 Attendance: 6,605
                              Record: 8-3-1 | Average Attendance: 8,347

Hockey East games
                              2-1-03 UNH 4 Maine 2 Attendance: 10,104
                              11-12-03 UNH 2 BC 2 Attendance: 10,104
                              11-5-04 UNH 4 BU 3 Attendance: 9,075
                              11-1-05 BC 3 UNH 2 Attendance: 8,411
                              2-2-07 Maine 4 UNH 2 Attendance: 10,104
                              2-7-09 Maine 1 UNH 0 Attendance: 8,811
                              1-26-13 UNH 6 Merrimack 2 Attendance: 6,605
                              Record: 3-3-1 | Average Attendance: 9,031

Regular Season (total)
                              Record: 10-6-2 | Average Attendance: 8,710

NCAA Tournament
                              3-27-04 Michigan 4 UNH 1 Attendance: 10,104
                              3-24-07 Miami 2 UNH 1 Attendance: 9,015
                              3-28-09 UNH 6 North Dakota 5 Attendance: 6,883
                              3-29-09 BU 2 UNH 1 Attendance: 7,863
                              3-26-11 UNH 3 Miami 1 Attendance: 7,608
                              3-27-11 Notre Dame 2 UNH 1 Attendance: 5,906
                              Record: 2-4-0 | Average Attendance: 7,897

All Games Total
                              Record: 12-10-2 | Average Attendance: 8,506
                              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                I have some bad news for you Dan.
                                Kelleher is a good player and i like him. 5'6" 159 lbs and basicaly an 80 pct Gaudreau

Have seen Poturalski several times, not close to Vechionne.
                                "UNH Recruits Update: Jan-28-2013" - Player of the Week is Tyler Kelleher

Tyler Kelleher's numbers speak for themselves.

After 28 games in Andrew Poturalski's first season in the USHL, he has 6 goals and 12 assists. Poturalski turned 19 on Jan. 14th. Poturalski primarily plays center.
                                Last season, Mike Vecchione (as an 18 and 19-year-old) scored 10 goals and 19 assists in 49 regular season games. Vecchione is primarily a right-winger.
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X