This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2012-2013 - Locked, Loaded, And Ready To Roar <<<<<

I actually thought RIT looked strong in the first period tonight. People who say things like "worst game evar" are letting their emotions cloud their judgement. I don't think RIT played terribly in the second or third periods either. If we'd scored the first goal, I think the momentum could have easily gone our way.

It's been a rough season so far, no doubt. But I wouldn't start betting against them just yet. They still have the capacity to finish the season strong if they can get their mental game together. These guys just need to put their record behind them, ignore the blubbering fans, and get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithpucks View Post
      I actually thought RIT looked strong in the first period tonight. People who say things like "worst game evar" are letting their emotions cloud their judgement. I don't think RIT played terribly in the second or third periods either. If we'd scored the first goal, I think the momentum could have easily gone our way.

It's been a rough season so far, no doubt. But I wouldn't start betting against them just yet. They still have the capacity to finish the season strong if they can get their mental game together. These guys just need to put their record behind them, ignore the blubbering fans, and get it done.
      I respectfully disagree. Our passing was terrible all night, including the completely unbelievable pass attempt that directly lead to their second goal. We gave up odd man rushes twice on the same power play, including a full breakaway that had Watson beat but managed to be saved by the post. They had stretches of energy and chances, but they were in the minority compared to low-energy, non-physical play. We out shot them, but they out chanced us. Most of our shots were from a long ways out and without traffic. We didn't put men in front of Komm and we didn't get many good chances in close. We also sailed a ton of shots wide.

Late in the game they got more physical, likely due to frustration, but I believe that actually lead to their best chances and best play. Further evidence that the Scotty Knowles and Taylor McReynolds of the world were vastly underrated for us. We just don't have that physical presence out there anymore.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
        Lt...I don't think it's fair-weathered, I think it's fans trying to come to terms with this team and set an expectation for the rest of the season.

The team is not playing well at home, that should not be a revelation to anyone on this thread, all I'm saying is if they play better on the road, let the team go on the road in the 1st round and win.
        But the problem is - they didn't play badly tonight. They dominated large parts of the game and I know I shouldn't be surprised that no one on here saw that but I am.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          The is probably the sloppiest, laziest, and downright worst RIT hockey performance in recent memory. No wonder our goalies can't get any momentum going, they have to put up with a defense that belongs at the circus more than the ice rink.
          WOW! I must have been watching a completely different game. I thought our defensemen played pretty darn good tonight and in fact have looked stronger and stronger in the last few games. RIT dominated a lot of the play in the first and third periods, but just couldn't get the puck in the back of the net, but not for lack of trying. There were definite problems tonight with the Power Play and a few forwards making some very bad passes (one leading to the 3rd goal) and decisions, but overall I didn't think they played bad enough to say they belong in a circus. That's pretty harsh. A couple good puck bounces for RIT and the scoreboard would look different.

Comment

It seems to me that Bentley getting the first goal took a lot of wind out of RIT's sails. RIT had some chances and either whiffed shots or missed on their scoring chances. The power play did not look good the first time out, but the second power play they got 4 shots on goal. I'm not calling them quality shots but the were shots.

This may be one of those years where RIT cannot get any traction. When you consider how much success the Tigers have had in DI, perhaps they were due for a season like this. Everyone has seen how RIT won their games, and some of the teams have adapted. Every team in every sport goes through it at some time where they have a down year. Look at North Carolina and Kentucky basketball. These are premier programs that are going through a tough year. Same with Texas football 2 years ago when they didn't have a winning record.

To me, there is talent on this team to use as a base for rebuilding. I don't think RIT will be down for long. The teams that are beating the Tigers better do it now, because when the Tigers turn the corner, they will come out roaring.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

From what I'm gathering, it was the fans actually at the game that felt like they played like crap (me included) and the ones who heard it on the radio or watched it on TV that felt the other way. I'll flat say, I was really angry with the people who disrespected the team and left the corner early, however I could empathize with them, this team has not played well and has not been a good representation of RIT's hockey program. Will I still stick with them and be a fan though (I'm not fair-weather, I'm a student now and will be an alumni, RIT is me)? Yes, I will continue to root, but clearly my expectations have to be lowered extremely this year.

Late in the game they got more physical, likely due to frustration, but I believe that actually lead to their best chances and best play. Further evidence that the Scotty Knowles and Taylor McReynolds of the world were vastly underrated for us. We just don't have that physical presence out there anymore.
              I agree, I think Thompson is also missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                No TV interview. By the time Coach was available, we had already signed off the air and left.
                My guess is that the team got a good talking to and we may see some changes tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                  From what I'm gathering, it was the fans actually at the game that felt like they played like crap (me included) and the ones who heard it on the radio or watched it on TV that felt the other way. I'll flat say, I was really angry with the people who disrespected the team and left the corner early, however I could empathize with them, this team has not played well and has not been a good representation of RIT's hockey program. Will I still stick with them and be a fan though (I'm not fair-weather, I'm a student now and will be an alumni, RIT is me)? Yes, I will continue to root, but clearly my expectations have to be lowered extremely this year.

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion - FTR, I was at the game and thought they played well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post

Yes, I'd also like to understand how you came to that conclusion because I was at the game tonight and I don't think the team played terrible. There were stretches where they weren't playing well for sure, but overall I think they played decent.

Comment

The is probably the sloppiest, laziest, and downright worst RIT hockey performance in recent memory. No wonder our goalies can't get any momentum going, they have to put up with a defense that belongs at the circus more than the ice rink.
                      If anything would make me embarrassed to say I'm a Tiger fan it's comments like these, not the way the team is playing.

Comment

Definitely frustrating to see the team struggle like this. I thought the team really played well in the first just couldn't beat Komm. In the second there was some let down in energy and they came back some in the third. They also managed to stay out of the box, I think Kuqali got the only penalty. I picked a split this weekend so not completely surprised by a loss. I know people are ****ed they aren't seeing the Tigers win at home every weekend but I think some of the comments are getting out line.
                        RIT Tigers
                        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                        Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

In one word ... "inconsistent".

As Coach Wilson has said for years, there is a lot of parity across much of the AHA. A team needs to play consistently at its best to be near the top of the standings. RIT teams of the recent past have done that, got the bounces etc. This year's team has not and the results are obvious. The standings do not lie at this point of the season.

When the coach is quoted as saying "Our will to win, especially down the upcoming stretch of games needs to be stronger" ... it also says there is a serious problem, perhaps the cause of the "inconsistency".

I'm also still a fan, but a fan with realistic assessments and expectations. As Komey1 suggested, these appear to be short term problems and not the kind of problems that will make RIT a perennial doormat of the AHA. One might look at the relative positions of Quinnipiac and Cornell in this year's ECAC standings to see some similarity to the relative positions of Niagara and RIT. I'm sure Cornell fans are saying some harsh things right now, but I doubt anyone seriously thinks Cornell is through as a top team long term.
                          -M

Comment

I was there as well. I thought the crowd was very quiet. I thought a couple dumb moves were capitalized on by Bentley. I felt that for once we didn't have to beat the refs & the other team. We had a lot of chances that unfortunately a very good goalie stopped. Their goalie does have a temper & can be thrown off his game as we have witnessed last year at the JAR. Their goalie head-butted our guy & in any other real league would have been gone from the game. We managed to keep a player who is leading the country in points per game off the scoresheet, which is no small feat.

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                              For some reason, all that comes to mind ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9fm2rKyRc
                              followed by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sxrAZvd01A

Let's only hope!
                              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

I think the first goal will be crucial for RIT tonight. They need to see that they can beat Komm and put pressure on Bentley. There can't be mistakes.

A comment was made about 1 penalty. I think that is part of the problem. Teams aren't afraid of getting knocked around by the Tigers. There are so few "big hits", and no real enforcer. I can't think of a single person who constantly is throwing their body around trying to hit people like McReynolds and Knowles.

Two images that stuck out to me from last night was McGowen looking up after yet another scoring chance lost, and Hartley getting knocked on his rear in the last minute flurry to avoid getting shutout. Even the salute was half-heated, and the Corner Crew cheering was half hearted.

EVERYONE has to be better. The goaltending has to be better. The defense has to be better. The offense has to be better. The coaching has to be better. The cheering has to be better. If you feel like you are a part of the team, that is our job. Encourage the team. Try to make them play off our emotion. The Corner Crew sometimes uses the "Fire It Up, Tigers" chant at the wrong times, but when they needed it last night, it was not there. If they get a win, they will be tied with the loser of the UConn-Robert Morris game. There is still time to do something with this season. It starts now.

Comment

Working...
                                X