Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

With games starting this weekend, it's time to retire the off-season thread.

Will this year's team live up to the USCHO preseason #15 ranking and make the dance and be The Good? Will they be like last year's The Bad? Or will they completely tank, miss the Hockey East playoffs and be The Ugly?

As always: M-A-I-N-E Goooooo Blue!!
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

They weren't exceptionally bad last year; after all, they did reach the final in the Hockey East championship game and did play an NCAA playoff game for the first time in four years.

It's a new season with new injuries, but the good news is that they at least start the season undefeated on Saturday, although the odds are rather unlikely that they will finish the season undefeated.

If they play solid defense and the goaltenders limit rebounds, and the offense gets timely goals and learns how to hold a lead, then this could prove to be a better year than last year.

Comment

It's pretty apparent that this team will have to win with defense. They have the makings of a reasonable defensive core and if Sullivan takes another step foward from last year they can win some 2-1 and 3-2 games. They certainly will have to have some contributions from the top 3 freshman and get stepups from some of the sophs, juniors, and seniors. Diamond needs another big year. Thats a number of if's, but its possible.

Comment

If Sully improves like he did from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year, the team will be in the hunt. Can't wait to see Shore and Merchant, like to see if the Seniors come back hungry and stronger. I think Joey could make a good Captain , like Prestin did. I don't see big things but I hope a chance at home ice and a berth in the NCAAs
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The regular season televised games I were able to find on the WABI, CBS and the Hockeyeast websites. There may of been more games that I missed. Edit: Adding Games I'm missing.

Friday, October 12th, 2012, 7:00pm EST - Notre Dame vs Maine (NBCSN)

Saturday, October 13th, 2012, 7:30pm EST - Final (if Maine beats Notre Dame) (NBCSN)

Friday, October 19th, 2012, 7:00pm EST - St. Lawrence at Maine (WABI-TV5)

Saturday, October 20th, 2012, 7:00pm EST - St. Lawrence at Maine (WABI-TV5)

Friday, October 26th, 2012, 7:00pm EST - Maine at Providence (COX)

Saturday, October 27th, 2012, 7:00pm EST - Maine at Providence (COX)

Friday, November 2nd, 2012, 7:00pm EST - Boston College at Maine (WABI-TV5)

Friday, November 30th, 2012, 8:00pm EST - Vermont at Maine (CBSSN)

Saturday, December 1st, 2012, 7:00pm EST - Vermont at Maine (WABI-DT2, The CW)

Saturday, December 8th, 2012, 8:00pm EST - Maine at Boston University (CBSSN)

Saturday, January 19th, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Merrimack at Maine (WABI-TV5)

Friday, January 25th, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Maine at Boston College (NESN)

Saturday, February 9th, 2013, 7:05pm EST - Maine at Vermont (WCAX)

Friday, February 15th, 2013, 7:30pm EST - Boston University at Maine (NBCSN)

Saturday, February 16th, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Boston University at Maine (NESN)

Friday, February 22nd, 2013, 7:00pm EST - New Hampshire at Maine (NESN)

Saturday, February 23rd, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Maine at Massachusetts (CBS3)

Friday, March 1st, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Northeastern at Maine (WABI-TV-5)

Saturday, March 2nd, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Northeastern at Maine (WABI-TV5), Questionable NESN FLEX GAME

Friday, March 8th, 7:30pm EST - Maine at New Hampshire (NBCSN)

Saturday, March 9th, 2013, 4:00pm EST - NESN FLEX GAME, Questionable (NESN)
          Last edited by Ineverquit; 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM. Reason: To update
          IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NAVY AND BLUE! UMAINE BLACK BEARS

National Champions 93' 99'

Comment

I'm also seeing:
            Friday, October 12th, 2013, 7:00pm EST - Notre Dame vs. Maine (NBCSN)
            Saturday, October 13th, 2013, 7:30pm EST(?) - Final (if Maine beats ND) (NBCSN)
            Friday, February 15th, 2013, 7:30pm EST - Boston University at Maine (NBCSN, not CBSSN)
            Friday, March 8th, 7:30pm EST - Maine at New Hampshire (NBCSN)

Comment

Thanks for posting all the TV stuff in one place. Now I'll be able to find it. That is, if I remember that this is where it is.
              Last edited by UncleRay; 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                If Sully improves like he did from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year, the team will be in the hunt. Can't wait to see Shore and Merchant, like to see if the Seniors come back hungry and stronger. I think Joey could make a good Captain , like Prestin did. I don't see big things but I hope a chance at home ice and a berth in the NCAAs
                I agree about Joey as captain. It may calm him down a bit - in a good way - and get him to truly raise his game a level. It could be just what he needs not only for a successful college season, but to set him up for the pros.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  I agree about Joey as captain. It may calm him down a bit - in a good way - and get him to truly raise his game a level. It could be just what he needs not only for a successful college season, but to set him up for the pros.
                  I never had a problem with the penatlies he took.
                  they were good penalties in my book.

I still cannot believe that nobody is willing to comment on the dumb pelalties that Flynn and O'Neill took away from the play, and out of frustration... dumb slashing penalties, e.g. I think they both wore letters on their chests, too...

JOey always got called for things going on near the puck, or near the goal crease, while he was riling up goalies and defenders... that is alot more acceptable to me than slashing someone along the side boards, 70 feet from the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                    I never had a problem with the penatlies he took.
                    they were good penalties in my book.

I still cannot believe that nobody is willing to comment on the dumb pelalties that Flynn and O'Neill took away from the play, and out of frustration... dumb slashing penalties, e.g. I think they both wore letters on their chests, too...

JOey always got called for things going on near the puck, or near the goal crease, while he was riling up goalies and defenders... that is alot more acceptable to me than slashing someone along the side boards, 70 feet from the puck.
                    The problem for Joey is he has a bad reputation with the refs and whether it's fair or not he has to live with it. There are a lot of good, tough plays that he'll get called for where other guys wouldn't. The penalty against UND last year was incredibly stupid too. Maine was hunting a winner and throwing blood into the boards was extremely uneccessary. I hope he can replicate last season but think it will be tough with new linemates
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

From USCHO's article on the top ten forwards to watch this year: "Diamond was named team captain, adding a leadership role to his offensive duties." Is that "OFFensive," or "ofFENsive"?

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        From USCHO's article on the top ten forwards to watch this year: "Diamond was named team captain, adding a leadership role to his offensive duties." Is that "OFFensive," or "ofFENsive"?
                        Margarita = Zapoceta
                        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post

I still cannot believe that nobody is willing to comment on the dumb pelalties that Flynn and O'Neill took away from the play.
                          Compare the sheer amount of minutes spent in the box and its easy to see why folks overlook dumb penalties away from the play. I don't have issues with alot of the stuff Joey does either, just like I didn't with Prestin after his Freshman year. Joey mucks it up, Timmays teams lack muckers as he beats it out of them.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Knowitall, Flynn was the lady bing winner sophomore or junior year with two pims. I'm sure the family advisor got in his head to be more physical. He finished top 10 all time if you take away D2 days, and about 11th or 12th overall. He's a better pro prospect then Abbott and scored without Nyquist and played every game after forst month of freshman year. O'Neill was a class act off ice, helped out a kid who was mentally challenged and did other great things for community. His girlfriend was an All-American field hockey player here and his dad and brothers are involved in coaching. I think he would make a great coach some day.

You're awfully critical of 19-24 year old college athletes for someone who never played at this level.
                            Last edited by irishfan85; 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                              Margarita = Zapoceta
                              How to Make a Margarita!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                              X