X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
    Coaching 101: When down 5 pts with 3 games to go, and playing the team you are chasing, you PULL THE GOALIE in the final minute or two of the game when tied and go for the win.

Tie = Loss = Season's Over.

I can understand not doing it in regulation, but in OT you HAVE to pull the goalie. Naysayers can defend it but that was the single most obvious example of bad coaching.

I'm only going off of the game recap and it appears as though Mountain was still in the game with 20 seconds left. Box score also looks as though the goalie wasn't pull. If someone can confirm that they did pull him, I will retract.
    You have all of the answers, I hope you are coaching somewhere. To waste your superior knowledge would be a sin.
    Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

I am really giving up on NU sports in general, as they are quickly becoming the NYU of Boston from a political, academic and philosophical perspective. I have 2 tix to NU for Friday which I am giving away to a couple of the Co-ops I hired this semester and I have 4 for Sat at BU, which I am keeping primarily for the access to beer in the stands and the fact that the seats are on the glass at center ice, not to mention the fact that they cost me >160 bucks. I went to grad school at BU for 3 years and I would consider changing my hockey allegiance, but that program appears to be on its way down too, JP looks ancient and tired behind the bench so I have to tell you the Terriers are likely need a coaching change too, in order to stay competitive in the 21st century.

I know that you are joking Rossi, but to even suggest that.

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
        Insults aside, I'll be the more mature and adult person in this conversation although I'm 15 years younger, I'll try to respond to this constructively.

I don't think there is a conspiracy. That would be foolish.

What I do think is happening here:

We have a coach who has no valuable experience in coaching and has coached his way to over 4 3rd period collapses in the last 2 months.

We have a coach who has the repuation of being a VERY GOOD recruiter.He has managed to get some very good guys.
        However, he let a future NHL goalie leave the program for an in conference opponent.
        However, he has not managed to recruit a single goalie for the 2013 season.
        However, he has not managed to recruit a single goalie for the 2014 season. Yet.
        However, he has not managed to recruit a single goalie for the 2015 season. Yet.

We will be finishing in last place in our conference.
        We will be one of only a handful of schools with less than 10 wins on the season.
        We have allowed over 100 goals against this season.
        We will allow over 90 goals in conference this season.

We were a program that made it to the NCAA tournament and was only a couple of minutes away from the second round.
        We were a program that was on our way up, and fast.

We have an AD that will yell at a fan for asking about the future of the program.
        We have an older fan base that will yell and insult a donor for asking about the future of the program.
        We have an older fan base that just doesn't care enough to make the moves needs for the future of the program.

We have an AD that clearly doesn't care about hockey attendance.
        We have an AD that only cares about the basketball attendance.
        We have an AD that has made it his job to make the basketball program the only thing that matters.
        We have an AD that believes that scholarships and roles are guarenteed regardless of performance.
        We have an AD that forced out a coach for sending text messages.
        We have an AD that held a WORLDWIDE search for a new coach and found the best person in our OWN BUSINESS SCHOOL.

I guess you can look at all these reasons as the big secret conspiracy, but really its just a complete failure of management from the top down.

It starts with Roby. It should end with Roby. Madigan is ultimately an extension of Roby's mistakes.

I hadn't realized that he was done recruiting for 2014 and 2015. Do you really think Madigan wanted Gillies to leave? Do you really think that was his plan? What drives me the most crazy about you, is you are that type of guy that just loves to complain. You would be complaining if they were in 3rd place talking about that game that they blew a 3rd period lead in and if they had LaPlante in there (although I am not aware of any D1 head coaching experience for him) it wouldn't have happened. I bet you listen to sports radio and call in with your ideas for trades.

I suggest that you throw your Tim Judy shirt on and tell the President that you should be AD and Head Coach. You think it is so easy to get the job done, then go do it. Unbelievable the number of people that think winning at this school is easy. If it was so easy then how come it has never happened? Get your head out of your ***.

Comment

So the thing that really gets me about the Jim Madigan bashing is that you guys are acting like NU has been a power house and they have just fallen apart. Whereas actually this is who NU has been since joining HE in 1984. They have been a bottom the division team. Here are the numbers

They have finished in the bottom half of the league 22 out of the 29 years of HE.
          Last place 7 times.
          1-0 in HE championship games
          0-3 in the other HE semifinals
          2 2nd place 87-88, 08-09
          2 3rd place 85-86, 88-89
          3 4th place 93-94, 94-95, 97-98

By Coach

Fern

All 7 team league
          1 2nd Place
          2 3rd Place
          1 5th Place
          1 6th PLace

McKinney
          8 Team league

1 5th Place
          1 8th Place

Smith
          2 4th Place
          2 7Th place
          1 8th Place

Crowder
          9 Team league

1 4th Place
          1 5Th Place
          1 6Th place
          1 7Th Place
          4 9th Place

Cronin
          10 Team league

1 2nd Place
          2 6th Place
          1 7Th Place
          1 9th place
          1 10th place

There is your track record, I would say Fern is the most successful, but this is the what it has always been. Maybe Cronin was on the verge of breaking the trend but we will never know. I think that we need to accept that Gaudreau and Roy are a wash, Roy wouldn't be here if Cronin were still here.

The question has been asked as to why are Providence, Lowell, Merrimack, even UMass more sucessful programs than NU. I have no idea, but they always have been. I don't know why players wpould rather go to those schools but they have been.

So as depressing as these numbers are, they are the numbers. What I am looking for from Madigan is to level the program off, become a more consistent program, one that finds itself in the middle of the pack every year and making that jump into the top half say every 4 years. This is something that no other coach has been able to do here, yet Madigan is being hung for having 2 bad seasons that are not entirely his fault.

My reason for posting these numbers is a get the impression that some people here think the Cronin years had more success than they really had. Granted the seemed to be running uphill rather than down, but at the end of the day they still finished in the bottom half of the league all years but 1.

I do think that this program can become what Lowell and Providence are, Cronin did not do it, maybe Madigan can. But we need to give him the time that we gave all of these others coach's to show us.

I think next years team will be in the same boat as this year. 14-15 assuming no early departures, which is crazy I think they will compete.

Have a nice night

Comment

It has nothing to do with numbers, the Cronin teams were drawing better quality players top to bottom, including guys that left and for the 1st time ever the team had started to recruit in the right direction taking quality players away from top programs, there is no comparison to a Cronin who coached with a national championship team in Maine as an assistant, coached a Calder Cup Team in Bridgeport and now is an NHL assistant with the Leafs and my very well likely be there head coach someday. If any of you think JM’s resume is nearly that of Cronin you need to have your heads examined! Cronin had leads to top players that JM will never have, Cronin texted those players and asked them if they wanted to fly down to Boston for the weekend, for a few steak dinners to take a look around , the same kind of crap Dick Umile has been doing at UNH for 2 decades. Now for a hockey school to be successful the coach has to have a way bigger schlong than the AD. You look at any successful program and the AD has to live with it. Do you think the AD at Michigan can tell Red what to do? Hell no. We have a s h I t for brains AD and a poor coach, who is a nice guy, who is in way over his head, mark my words our .400 historical record will be the worst ever with JM, he couldn’t score 400 on his SATS. BTW, Cronin had a .460 winning % and if you take out the 1st year where he inherited the 3 win, worst team we ever had he is hands down the best coach. He made an immediate impact and had the team competing , his 7th place finishes were a few points form 4th. However, truthfully at this point the school would be best served by dropping to a lower level division in hockey and sadly that may be a reality eventually happen someday. Doormats are eventually asked to leave, when they never get any better and other regional programs do. I mean Quinnipiac would be a better addition to HE than NU. It has a better fan base, deeper pocketed Boosters and an AD who gets it, When the UCONN men are kicking the living C R AP out of our Huskies in a couple of years, you can refer back to this post when they hand JM his walking papers, I really don’t see much hope for NU in the future to be competitive at all. It’s an administration that simply has no idea how to win, nor do they care about winning at all. Also just for the historical perspective the program never had any $$ allocated to it but when they canned the football program it was used as an excuse to make this program a national powerhouse. There were many meetings on this so it shound not surprise any of you. So many of us more successful alumni wrote big checks some of mine were in the thousands and some of my friends were in the tens of thousands, so if we are a tad p i ss ed off , well so be it! Where do you think the 2 million in renovations for the rink, the Jack G Press box and the new weight room came from, the AD allocating the athletic budget? Please, Wake up, we were duped! I am not quoting me I am quoting Mr. DeWolfe here, trust me when the guys who have buildings named after them on campus get ****ed off enough, Roby will be gone and so will JM.
            Last edited by RossiRules; 03-04-2013, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Quinnipiac to Hockey East.. NU to the ECAC.. sounds like a plan. Let's get it done.

The way we do things.. its where we belong.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

some of you need to get a grip.

You all realize that due to the forwards being absolutely obliterated they dressed ten dman on Saturday? Having to play Hoffeler, Oskraba, Fennell, Cornell, and a just back Ellement. I have no idea how many minutes some of these guys played, but for the team to somehow pull out a 4-4 tie in a must win game to me is pretty amazing achievement in itself. They had no business being in either game.

I am not one for throwing out excuses. But their really are some pretty valid ones that did not help this season along. To many young guys on defense who were all hurt in front of shaky goalies while the forwards fell to pieces either by injury, suspension, or leaving. (if Manno and Darcy had stuck around another two weeks each, they might have gotten first line time, but that is a story for another day)

To have to play guys like Morra, Stone, and Belonger as many minutes as they did knowing that you are going to get nothing out of them, the team is just not going to win many games.

Find a goalie, improved defense, rebuild the depth up front, no more last place finishes.
                DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Think Peter Roby will show up to the Varsity Club this weekend? It's probably not recommended, especially if he's planning on berating and insulting anyone who asks him about the team missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year. After all, he's far too important to have to answer for this debacle, and how dare anyone second guess his wisdom after decades worth of work and knowledge being an Athletic Director.

On the other hand, he may be there with the rest of them, all smiles....
                  Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                    Think Peter Roby will show up to the Varsity Club this weekend? It's probably not recommended, especially if he's planning on berating and insulting anyone who asks him about the team missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year.
                    How did the letter-writing campaign go?
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      How did the letter-writing campaign go?
                      ..need fans at the venues for this. something ad's office have managed to obliterate with their incompetence.
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• 1000 posts.. lock up this thread & sad season all in one go.

NU Hockey.. rudderless!
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                        X