X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post

To get back on point...

Still waiting to hear the simple answer from those still backing Madigan and Roby.
    My only question for you... Do you still think that Cronin was a bad choice or have you changed your tune a bit since he left?
    Originally posted by Bakunin
    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
      My only question for you... Do you still think that Cronin was a bad choice or have you changed your tune a bit since he left?
      What will be a killer to this team is if they go from the 10 seed out of the playoffs with Wonderboy Kevin Roy and instead ends up 12th when UConn joins without him because he left for Anaheim after 1-2 seasons.
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

A lot has been said here and there's been quite a lot of back and forth between people who are passionate about the program (Steve66-NU Speed Racer). While we may have different opinions about how or why we're in this situation, I think that it's safe to say that nobody is happy about it.
        What we should be doing as alums, fans, donors....whatever is to set our sights on fixing the problem (in my opinion the AD), not bickering back and forth and lobbing insults at each other.

I can report that although my letter to Administration (see previous posts) to which I received a less than satisfactory response, has generated some buzz around the rumor mill. The story about my encounter with Peter Roby and others is now known amongst a variety of individuals surrounding the program, some of whom would like the story to just go away because, I suppose, it is embarrassing to them.

Interestingly enough, through this rumor mill, apparently people are under the impression that I think Madigan is the problem and must go. This has never been my position. While I am not happy with some of the coaching thus far, I am not a proponent of firing Jim Madigan, rather, I place the blame with....you guessed it....Peter Roby. Just wanted to state it for the record. Sometimes you never know who reads this message board. Sometimes you do.
        Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

My stance has been the same all along. I believe regardless of the coach, weather it was Albie O'Connell, LaPlante or Madigan you need to give coach's times. 2 years is not enough, especially in college hockey were kids come and go like night and day. I do not know if Madigan is the right guy, I would like to believe he is and my opinion he can do this, and will do it, but certainly not saying that there is no way I am wrong. Firing him now will only reset the clock, nobody here wants to continue with the losing, if you fire him now there will be an exodus again. Remember there are a lot of kids here now and kids that have committed here under Madigan. The top ones will without a doubt move on and we will be stuck with the bottom feeders that were meant to be depth guys. It will happen, whether you agree with Madigan or not you have to know that will happen. We just saw it happen when Cronin left. Once Cronin left Gaudreau was gone, I am sure he heard the whispers about why is this kid going to NU like I heard, Cronin leaving just gave him the push he needed to say, hey I am not sure about this anymore. Nobody would have been able to convince him once BC and BU were in his ear. Now there is no incoming player to his caliber, but there is one here now, who committed under Madigan. He may be gone regardless, but I would think that a coaching change would all but seal that fate. All I am saying is give it time, it’s my opinion, I know there are people here who do not want to give it time they have made up their mind. I for one would like to see the direction of next year’s team before then deciding on whether this was right or wrong. I still believe that 2014-15 season will be a good one, assuming kids stay, which in this sport is a big assumption.
          Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

• Originally posted by steve66 View Post
            I still believe that 2014-15 season will be a good one, assuming kids stay, which in this sport is a big assumption.
            I said on DHD that Madigan needs to get a top-flight goalie on campus (or committed) soon or it is going to cost him his job. Next season is already a bust because Witt, DRoy, and maybe Mountain are not the answer. If Madigan can't get a goalie on campus then the team will be mired in crap and he won't have any excuse to not be fired...which would be much deserved. '14-'15 in all likelihood is the soonest JM will be able to get an impact goalie to NU. Lets see what he can do...
            Last edited by fahey4prez; 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fahey4prez View Post
              I said on DHD that Madigan needs to get a top-flight goalie on campus (or committed) soon or it is going to cost him his job. Next season is already a bust because Witt, DRoy, and maybe Mountain are not the answer. If Madigan can't get a goalie on campus then the team will be mired in crap and he won't have any excuse to not be fired...which would be much deserved. '14-'15 in all likelihood is the soonest JM will be able to get an impact goalie to NU. Lets see what he can do...
              I agree, but remember Witt was a highly recruited goalie. I've always liked him better than Rawlings. But I agree a goalie needs to be on his ludt

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                A lot has been said here and there's been quite a lot of back and forth between people who are passionate about the program (Steve66-NU Speed Racer). While we may have different opinions about how or why we're in this situation, I think that it's safe to say that nobody is happy about it.
                What we should be doing as alums, fans, donors....whatever is to set our sights on fixing the problem (in my opinion the AD), not bickering back and forth and lobbing insults at each other.

I can report that although my letter to Administration (see previous posts) to which I received a less than satisfactory response, has generated some buzz around the rumor mill. The story about my encounter with Peter Roby and others is now known amongst a variety of individuals surrounding the program, some of whom would like the story to just go away because, I suppose, it is embarrassing to them.

Interestingly enough, through this rumor mill, apparently people are under the impression that I think Madigan is the problem and must go. This has never been my position. While I am not happy with some of the coaching thus far, I am not a proponent of firing Jim Madigan, rather, I place the blame with....you guessed it....Peter Roby. Just wanted to state it for the record. Sometimes you never know who reads this message board. Sometimes you do.
                I agree with this. I haven't said that Madigan should go. I was merely pointing out to speedracer that Cronin wasn't as bad as he originally thought. speedracer has a habit of disliking every coach that is at NU and expecting immediate results. I agree fully that Roby is the problem and that his direction for this school's athletics leaves out the major money maker in hockey. That's where he will see more revenue and more donors but if he ignores it because he likes bouncy ball better, then we need to ship is sorry arse out for someone who is more focused on every sport instead of just the ones he likes.
                Originally posted by Bakunin
                Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

.. i would love for bouncyball to make it to the NCAAs as those guys have worked their tails off, several comebacks this season.. worked their tails anyway you slice it. Its generally good for the U.

..only thing is.. Coen will get overshadowed. We know who will get the spotlight on ESPN if that were to occur.. (conjecture on my part?..). Just hope due process prevails
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Has Aston-Reese decommitted?

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      .. i would love for bouncyball to make it to the NCAAs as those guys have worked their tails off, several comebacks this season.. worked their tails anyway you slice it. Its generally good for the U.

..only thing is.. Coen will get overshadowed. We know who will get the spotlight on ESPN if that were to occur.. (conjecture on my part?..). Just hope due process prevails
                      I'm happy for the bball team as well but the ceiling on basketball at NU is a conference title and playing the role as sacrificial lamb in the NCAA tourney and there's nothing wrong with that, most schools from small conferences are like that barring cinderella runs like George Mason's, and Butler who along with VCU have changed conferences due to success. The hockey season has been an unmitigated disaster but I still think there is a higher ceiling for hockey when things are moving in the right direction including the Beanpot and Hockey East titles (not saying HE title is anywhere close in our sights but given the rise of schools like UML and Merrimack under the right direction a run can be made) which I both value more than winning a bball title in one of the nations weakest conferences. I'm not trying to take away anything from the bball team but I wish Roby knew where athletic priorities should be, well I think he does but he likes bball better so he simply doesn't care.

Comment

I think its nice having a boogey man but at this point you guys need to get over the Roby thing. He and Cronin could not get on the same page, he got Cronin to leave, settled on JM, put some obstacles in front of the staff that as far as I know are now gone, and off we go. I think he stays as far away from the program as possible now. He does not matter at this point, unless he decides to punish the program more. Its not like he is pulling scholarships. As annoying as it was that he allowed certain players who had committed to our school to stay in conference (this would be his biggest sin really) he did allow this staff and the previous ones to accept guys like our current captain and #15 who had been committed elsewhere. He could have said no, I do not believe in taking problem transfer guys, and people who have turned on their commitment at the last minute. He did not.

I was very anti-JM for a very long time. I have gone from anti-JM to lets see what he can do. This season has been bad, but the fact is the effort has been there in the 2nd half of the season, despite all the injuries and losing. I saw more then enough Crowder teams give up at this point.

There are some take aways from this season that should help. The big one being the defense has actually developed an identity in the 2nd half. One that is willing and pretty good at hitting. I credit Gunn finally getting into the lineup for that. But even Manson's game has changed for the better, even before he started scoring goals last week. He is legit back there now. Please also remember that everyone one of the dman except for Dax has spent time injured this year. Hard to develop partnerships and consistency when guys are in and out of the lineup.

Next season is going to come down to who ever is in goal. If there is no improvement back there, its going to be the same thing. If he can get more out of Witt/Roy then he did out of Rawlings/Mountain, which is highly debatable at this point, NU will not be a last place team.

Enough with the Roby stuff though. Its tiresome. Nobody takes the hoops team seriously because the conference is one of the worst in the country, and while they won the regular season title, its not like they blew through the league. They won the majority of games by 5 points or less, a few in OT. They are so ripe to getting picked off its not even funny.
                        DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                          I think its nice having a boogey man but at this point you guys need to get over the Roby thing. He and Cronin could not get on the same page, he got Cronin to leave, settled on JM, put some obstacles in front of the staff that as far as I know are now gone, and off we go. I think he stays as far away from the program as possible now. He does not matter at this point, unless he decides to punish the program more. Its not like he is pulling scholarships. As annoying as it was that he allowed certain players who had committed to our school to stay in conference (this would be his biggest sin really) he did allow this staff and the previous ones to accept guys like our current captain and #15 who had been committed elsewhere. He could have said no, I do not believe in taking problem transfer guys, and people who have turned on their commitment at the last minute. He did not.

I was very anti-JM for a very long time. I have gone from anti-JM to lets see what he can do. This season has been bad, but the fact is the effort has been there in the 2nd half of the season, despite all the injuries and losing. I saw more then enough Crowder teams give up at this point.

There are some take aways from this season that should help. The big one being the defense has actually developed an identity in the 2nd half. One that is willing and pretty good at hitting. I credit Gunn finally getting into the lineup for that. But even Manson's game has changed for the better, even before he started scoring goals last week. He is legit back there now. Please also remember that everyone one of the dman except for Dax has spent time injured this year. Hard to develop partnerships and consistency when guys are in and out of the lineup.

Next season is going to come down to who ever is in goal. If there is no improvement back there, its going to be the same thing. If he can get more out of Witt/Roy then he did out of Rawlings/Mountain, which is highly debatable at this point, NU will not be a last place team.

Enough with the Roby stuff though. Its tiresome. Nobody takes the hoops team seriously because the conference is one of the worst in the country, and while they won the regular season title, its not like they blew through the league. They won the majority of games by 5 points or less, a few in OT. They are so ripe to getting picked off its not even funny.
                          I agree with everything you say here 100%

Enough of the *****ing about Madigan and Roby!

If there is one upside, think of all of the experience that Saucerman and Gunn have gotten this season. Plus Manson looks light years better to me than he did in the first half.

Comment

Injured Husky Garrett Vermeersch suspended,Madigan comments on reasons,full article by Jill Saftel from the newspaper

http://huntnewsnu.com/2013/02/injure...-indefinitely/

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                              I agree with everything you say here 100%

Enough of the *****ing about Madigan and Roby!

If there is one upside, think of all of the experience that Saucerman and Gunn have gotten this season. Plus Manson looks light years better to me than he did in the first half.
                              I've tried to stay out of the Roby and Madigan ****ing contests aside from my last post when I said Roby prioritizes bball over hockey. But that aside one thing we can look forward to next year is a young defensive core who has made strides this year and have gained plenty of valuable experience. No matter what the goaltending situation is next year will any combo of Mountain, Roy, and Witt be much worse than what we have seen this year? NU is at a point where goaltending is so bad we don't even need good goaltending, just adequate goaltending. All the *****ing about Roby and Madigan is just a product of having a passionate and very frustrated fanbase. Hey but if we sweep Maine this weekend we're right back in the playoff hunt

Comment

• We are not sweeping Maine. We have not swept anybody in HE on any wknd this season & are not about to, just now. If we do get in, it will be because somebody else helps us.. but in any case it will be a quick exit,regardless.
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X