This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

you are all missing the crux of the problem.
    madigan inherited a program on the rise. cronin's last 2 years produced 2 year misses in bpot. 2 he final fours, 1 point from a regular season championship and several all rookies. the freshmen on his last team: oleksiak (nhl), reid (ahl), bitetto (ahl), eibler?, dongara (umass)...are all gone because the team was mismanaged by the hc. the next round of recruits included: saponari, reid, gaudreau, haar, kovacs, gillies, darcy etc....figure it out steve. they had the best talent in decaded coming to nu because cronin and staff resourced the program those first 3 years. cronin by the way, inherited an awful team and an awful program. he built it up against tough odds....and his staff enhanced the image...hence the good recruiting.
    madigan and staff tore apart something that was on an upward swing...maybe there is some method to this madness, but i dont see any light at the end of the tunnel. and rossi is right, with uconn and nd entering the league, nu will get pushed further down the food chain. roby's gender equity ego pushed cronin and co out....and madigan couldnt keep it together because he never coached before, nor managed an athletic staff. why the hell did oconnell and laplante leave when they were big parts of cronin's program that was winning? hello

Comment

..well, it was fun to see Gillies play tonight. I can see why he can steal a gm here & there..

..makes all the difference.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Sully75,that was a great post,I agree with you on all fronts

Sorry to shift the subject,I just wanted to get this out there,following on the heels of former Husky Wade MacLeod's on ice seizure,it's reported in the papers that the CT scan has revealed at "Benign brain mass",hoping some will join me praying for Wade

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/a...n-tumor-022113

Comment

Originally posted by Sully75 View Post
          you are all missing the crux of the problem.
          madigan inherited a program on the rise. cronin's last 2 years produced 2 year misses in bpot. 2 he final fours, 1 point from a regular season championship and several all rookies. the freshmen on his last team: oleksiak (nhl), reid (ahl), bitetto (ahl), eibler?, dongara (umass)...are all gone because the team was mismanaged by the hc. the next round of recruits included: saponari, reid, gaudreau, haar, kovacs, gillies, darcy etc....figure it out steve. they had the best talent in decaded coming to nu because cronin and staff resourced the program those first 3 years. cronin by the way, inherited an awful team and an awful program. he built it up against tough odds....and his staff enhanced the image...hence the good recruiting.
          madigan and staff tore apart something that was on an upward swing...maybe there is some method to this madness, but i dont see any light at the end of the tunnel. and rossi is right, with uconn and nd entering the league, nu will get pushed further down the food chain. roby's gender equity ego pushed cronin and co out....and madigan couldnt keep it together because he never coached before, nor managed an athletic staff. why the hell did oconnell and laplante leave when they were big parts of cronin's program that was winning? hello
          Hello back at you! Let me answer the last part of your rant since it is clear that you really don't have a clue. Madigan was an assistant coach at UVM and NU for several years under Ben Smith. We had several very good teams during that time period partly becasue of some outstanding recruits that JM found including Dan McGillis, Jordan Shields Aube, Dal Lupo and others. In addition to several positions at NU he was a part time scout for the Islanders and more recently for the Penguins when they won the Stanley Cup. He is certainly not a neophyte.

O'Connell was the chief recruiter and was responsible for bringing in most of the talent that we would have had on this years team, if Roby hadn't turned his innocuous texting to committed recruits into a cause celebre. He saw the writing on the wall and accepted a similar postion at Harvard. He had a wife and, IIRC three kids to support and needed a job.

Sebastien wanted and, in the opinion of many, deserved the HC job. When Jimmy won Roby's heart(?), the first thing he he wanted to do was to make Sebastien the #1 assistant, or possibly the Associate HC. Sebastien initially planned to stay, but was advised by someone that if he wanted a D1 Head Coaching job, he should get some NHL or AHL experience. So when he was offered an Assistant job with Minnesota's AHL team in Houston, he moved his family and has thrived there. This was strictly a career move. The last thing he wanted to do was to leave the NU campus and hockey program. He was well liked by those he worked with, and importantly, he was liked and respected by the players who played for him. At least one player who left would still be here if Sebastien had stayed.

Comment

Rye cheers... U miss the point. Maybe I dont have a clue about oconnell & laplante's personal situations, but I do have a clue about a program that looked better than UML & PC 2 years ago when Cronin & staff left. My point is not that Madigan banished the 2 assistants, but that they were important links to the continuity of the recruiting that was generating top notch players to NU....from the outside looking in, it doesn't look good. In fact it looks awful. If u separate ur feelings from the coach(s), u would be clueless to suggest that the "program" is not suffering. Madigan has a great reputation and is well liked....but he was a "part time" amateur scout for the last 15 years. He needed help. The easiest way for him to succeed would have been to capitalize on the momentum of the last staff. I am not blaming Madigan for their absence...it is a shame they left....but if u look at all the players and recruits that have left in the last 2 years, it looks "torn apart". I want NU to be good. I am rooting for Madigan and have said it is a larger issue than one coach. It is an I an athletics department failure. And as Rossi suggested...it ain't gonna get any easier w ND & UConn.

Comment

Rye cheers... U miss the point. Maybe I dont have a clue about oconnell & laplante's personal situations, but I do have a clue about a program that looked better than UML & PC 2 years ago when Cronin & staff left. My point is not that Madigan banished the 2 assistants, but that they were important links to the continuity of the recruiting that was generating top notch players to NU....from the outside looking in, it doesn't look good. In fact it looks awful. If u separate ur feelings from the coach(s), u would be clueless to suggest that the "program" is not suffering. Madigan has a great reputation and is well liked....but he was a "part time" amateur scout for the last 15 years. He needed help. The easiest way for him to succeed would have been to capitalize on the momentum of the last staff. I am not blaming Madigan for their absence...it is a shame they left....but if u look at all the players and recruits that have left in the last 2 years, it looks "torn apart". I want NU to be good. I am rooting for Madigan and have said it is a larger issue than one coach. It is an I an athletics department failure. And as Rossi suggested...it ain't gonna get any easier w ND & UConn.

Cronin's last 2 years, missed playoffs and 6th place finish. You talk about runner up in beanpot and a conference semi final loss as being great moments. You guys talk about not wanting to be losers, you are claiming that these losing moments are some great achievement. Cronin had some good things going and his best class was the one that was coming in when he decided to leave. Look at the classes before that. There were some good players but not great ones. It took him 6 years to get what was supposed to be monster class in. It takes time. Whenever a coach leaves there is going to be turnover, it happens. I liked Cronin, but he left.

Anyone noticed what is going on at BU. You think there are problems here. That team sucks and they are BU with the great Jack Parker!
              Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                Anyone noticed what is going on at BU. You think there are problems here. That team sucks and they are BU with the great Jack Parker!
                Do you even read what you post?

BU is having a very bad season. Parker is losing his team. And they are 14-14-2. Ranked 15th in the nation. 6th place in HE, 2 pts from 4th, 4 pts from 1st(which they get in the final weekend of the season).

I would love those problems.

This again is the problem. This is what Steve, Rye and the "cancers" are missing.

We were headed in that direction. We were building a solid program. We didn't lose our coach to the NHL. He was forced out.

We have an AD and an older complacent fan base that just DOES NOT CARE. They would rather defend a man who hasn't coached in 15+ years, is a "part time" scout, and a fundraiser for the BUSINESS SCHOOL, than actually go out and find the best coach for our program and continue to build the program.

PC, MC, UML. These are Hockey East programs that have successfully competed and made strives to the front of the pack. All in the time Madigan has had to continue to build on Cronin's success. We are looking at a season where its possible to only have one of the "big four" to have home ice. To say that we can't do it or that we couldn't do it in the same timeframe is just being naive.

When Madigan was hired, everyone wrote about how it was such a big risk we were taking. It was an experiment that only one team had tried before (I believe Mich St). We hired an administrator to do the job of a head coach. We have reached the end of this experiment. It has failed. Gloriously.

To the "cancers": How much longer must we suffer through this before you can agree to this?

Originally posted by ryecheers
                Madigan was an assistant coach at UVM and NU for several years under Ben Smith. We had several very good teams during that time period partly becasue of some outstanding recruits that JM found including Dan McGillis, Jordan Shields Aube, Dal Lupo and others. In addition to several positions at NU he was a part time scout for the Islanders and more recently for the Penguins when they won the Stanley Cup. He is certainly not a neophyte.
                If we go with this, and give Madigan the credit and history, doesn't this just make him an extremely inadequate, outmatched,and unsuccessful coach?
                If we go with this, shouldn't his coaching preformance, record, and inability to hold a lead, and coach his team beyond their skill (as seen at QU), be reason to get rid of him?

It just makes him an awful coach, but a decent recruiter. With almost 30 years with this university, don't you think he'd be better off being a special advisor to the program or administrator that helps close the deal?
                Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
                NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                  Do you even read what you post?

BU is having a very bad season. Parker is losing his team. And they are 14-14-2. Ranked 15th in the nation. 6th place in HE, 2 pts from 4th, 4 pts from 1st(which they get in the final weekend of the season).

I would love those problems.

This again is the problem. This is what Steve, Rye and the "cancers" are missing.

We were headed in that direction. We were building a solid program. We didn't lose our coach to the NHL. He was forced out.

We have an AD and an older complacent fan base that just DOES NOT CARE. They would rather defend a man who hasn't coached in 15+ years, is a "part time" scout, and a fundraiser for the BUSINESS SCHOOL, than actually go out and find the best coach for our program and continue to build the program.

PC, MC, UML. These are Hockey East programs that have successfully competed and made strives to the front of the pack. All in the time Madigan has had to continue to build on Cronin's success. We are looking at a season where its possible to only have one of the "big four" to have home ice. To say that we can't do it or that we couldn't do it in the same timeframe is just being naive.

When Madigan was hired, everyone wrote about how it was such a big risk we were taking. It was an experiment that only one team had tried before (I believe Mich St). We hired an administrator to do the job of a head coach. We have reached the end of this experiment. It has failed. Gloriously.

To the "cancers": How much longer must we suffer through this before you can agree to this?

If we go with this, and give Madigan the credit and history, doesn't this just make him an extremely inadequate, outmatched,and unsuccessful coach?
                  If we go with this, shouldn't his coaching preformance, record, and inability to hold a lead, and coach his team beyond their skill (as seen at QU), be reason to get rid of him?

It just makes him an awful coach, but a decent recruiter. With almost 30 years with this university, don't you think he'd be better off being a special advisor to the program or administrator that helps close the deal?

I think the big miss with Roby is that he had Speed racer and he didn't offer him the job. Its amazing that this tool has all of the answers on what needs to be done yet his voice goes unheard. Maybe Madigam would put you on his staff, you could be in charge of recruiting a goaltender and in game adjustments.

I am so tired of this discussion that I am going to sign off for the rest of the season. Its the same thing, Rossi says all the kid coming in next year stink, Speed racer is a giant tool. Hopefully you are wrong Rossi, not eceryone agrees with you on that. I am hoping there are some good kids that will grow into having great 4 year careers. I do not expect complete players, those kids don't come to NU. Or I should say, they do not usually come to NU. Roy obviously the exception to that rule.

Take a look at Cronin's classes, His 6th class was going to be bis best, it took 6 years to get a monster of a class. Look at this senior class here, Rawlings, Vermeesch, Vrolyk, Ellement. This is a weak one, which is why the team stinks. I know the two kids that committed this week are far away, but from all accounts are great picks ups. For everyone that *****'s about losing Askew to BU, saw an article the other day that says he has no intention of ever playing a BU, just a hedge in case things don't go the way he hopes.

See ya guys. Speed Racer good luck in life, you really need it. Call your 50 former players friends, see if they know your name, say yah I was that loser thet followed you guys around and wore your game jerseys. HAHA, I got you pegged!
                  Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    ..well, it was fun to see Gillies play tonight. I can see why he can steal a gm here & there..

..makes all the difference.
                    As an outsider I have been perplexed all year as to why Gillies is not at Northeastern. The story I heard back last summer was that he was released from his scholarship because Rawlings returned to school. That didn't make sense to me. In my mind, Rawlings could do whatever he wanted to do, but it didn't guarantee him playing time if Gillies actually enrolled. Was it a case of Gillies being released from his obligation because Cronin was no longer there?

Comment

Call your 50 former players friends, see if they know your name, say yah I was that loser thet followed you guys around and wore your game jerseys. HAHA, I got you pegged!
                      Oh no you didn't!
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        As an outsider I have been perplexed all year as to why Gillies is not at Northeastern. The story I heard back last summer was that he was released from his scholarship because Rawlings returned to school. That didn't make sense to me. In my mind, Rawlings could do whatever he wanted to do, but it didn't guarantee him playing time if Gillies actually enrolled. Was it a case of Gillies being released from his obligation because Cronin was no longer there?
                        No, Gillies recommitted after Cronin left and remains close with NU's goaltending coach, John Carratu. Gillies wanted to be guaranteed that he would be the starting goalie coming in, however, Madigan told him he would have to battle for the position with Rawlings. Since Gillies has made it clear that he doesn't intend to remain in school for four years, he wanted to showcase his talent immediately. It was kind of selfish on his part, but then again, he was guaranteed the starting position when NU first recruited him.
                        "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

I think the big miss with Roby is that he had Speed racer and he didn't offer him the job. Its amazing that this tool has all of the answers on what needs to be done yet his voice goes unheard. Maybe Madigam would put you on his staff, you could be in charge of recruiting a goaltender and in game adjustments.
                          To be honest, I probably could do better in the goalie situation. I think a monkey in a little adorable suit could do better. Hell, even you, Steve66, could probably do better.

See ya guys. Speed Racer good luck in life, you really need it. Call your 50 former players friends, see if they know your name, say yah I was that loser thet followed you guys around and wore your game jerseys. HAHA, I got you pegged!
                          Yup, you got me pegged. You reference something I stopped doing 10 years ago. Got me. Since you're either too poor or too cheap to donate to the program and get into the varsity club, I'll have you know there was a handful of those said players there. Quite enjoyable.

And once again, Steve ignores a complete post about the future of the program. He doesn't address the issues. He just throws some insults, whines, grabs his proverbial "ball" and goes home to cry.

To get back on point...

Still waiting to hear the simple answer from those still backing Madigan and Roby.

What is it going to take for you to finally realize that this program has taken a complete 180 and all progress that we have made has been wasted?
                          How much longer must we endure?
                          Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
                          NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                            To be honest, I probably could do better in the goalie situation. I think a monkey in a little adorable suit could do better. Hell, even you, Steve66, could probably do better.

Yup, you got me pegged. You reference something I stopped doing 10 years ago. Got me. Since you're either too poor or too cheap to donate to the program and get into the varsity club, I'll have you know there was a handful of those said players there. Quite enjoyable.

And once again, Steve ignores a complete post about the future of the program. He doesn't address the issues. He just throws some insults, whines, grabs his proverbial "ball" and goes home to cry.

To get back on point...

Still waiting to hear the simple answer from those still backing Madigan and Roby.

What is it going to take for you to finally realize that this program has taken a complete 180 and all progress that we have made has been wasted?
                            How much longer must we endure?
                            Not really my intention to add fuel to the fire, but I must say it's funny to hear you talk about progress that had been made considering you were the "Proud Conductor of the Cronin Must Go Bandwagon." Or am I thinking of someone else?
                            On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                            If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Not wanting to stir further.. as i believe fanbase should be united in their support for their team (which most on here are)..

i think NU Speed Racer made some very good observations (and truthful comments, in my opinion), in his post yesterday.
                              The truth hurts sometimes.. it is hard to take for those in charge now (and their supporters).. yet if you want this tide to stop (you do realize he speaks for more than 1 fan..) .. change.

Do things the right way.. start with hiring the right people behind the bench; keep JM in hockey operations.. & attract the best candidates to our team with solid coaching to back their development. Do with hockey, what you are doing already so well on the academics' side. As i've said before.. one more season.. that's it for me. If it does not work out NU, have Plan B ready.. hopefully in place somtime this offseason.

NU Hockey.. stuck in an old, broken, time machine ..
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

it ain't gonna get any easier w...UConn.
                                I laughed, well done

Comment

Working...
                                X