Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

    Originally posted by northeastern View Post
    ..gotta win on the road. Came real close couple times only to let it slip.. hopefully the team responds positively, this one's Madigan's job 1. On the points.. don't wait for Sunday.. Providence just lost by 4 to UMass & 2 to Vermont.. try get points Friday.
    These games' importance can't be understated. With the Darcy departure and rumblings of players not believing in Madigan's ability to coach, we need wins. They drop these two in unimpressive fashion, and things get really ugly. Not to mention, we've got 1 point in the last 5 HE games and desperately need the points.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS


    MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

    Comment


    • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

      Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
      Its really annoying. The weekend formula has always been hockey on Friday and Saturday night and football on Sunday. We play a home bball game against UVM on Saturday night, I wonder if that is the reason for the Sunday game. Doesn't make much sense.
      It makes sense when one considers the lengthy drive from Providence to Burlington in the middle of the night with unpredictable November weather.

      Comment


      • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

        Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
        Its really annoying. The weekend formula has always been hockey on Friday and Saturday night and football on Sunday. We play a home bball game against UVM on Saturday night, I wonder if that is the reason for the Sunday game. Doesn't make much sense.
        Personally I love it as I am more of a college football fan, but I know I'm in the minority around these parts.
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

        Comment


        • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

          Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
          Personally I love it as I am more of a college football fan, but I know I'm in the minority around these parts.
          I'm a college football fan as well, but Sunday hockey still royally blows.
          \_(ツ)_/

          Comment


          • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

            Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            I'm a college football fan as well, but Sunday hockey still royally blows.
            Why? I wish the college hockey schedule was more spread out like college basketball so I could make more games than I do.
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

            Comment


            • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

              Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
              Why? I wish the college hockey schedule was more spread out like college basketball so I could make more games than I do.
              Sunday hockey is incredibly dumb.

              First, anything that goes up against the NFL in terms of entertainment time/$ loses every time.

              Second, for students Sunday is the day you wake up and realize you have to do the work you've been neglecting all weekend.

              Third, it's a school/work night.

              I bet if you look at the attendance at Sunday games, it's significantly lower (I know at BC it is).

              Comment


              • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                Next years forwards? A bunch of role players probably. Stevens has gotten off to a nice start but wont be a star, probably a great role player, but keep in mind he has a younger brother who is quite good... The kid we signed last week who is doing well, keep in mind he is 20, so he is lighting up younger guys. That will change next year. Everyone else in the USHL, blah so far, no WOW factor. We will probably get next to nothing out of the youngest Ferrierro as the jump from Prep to Div 1 is quite steep, and judging by how Cody did his freshmen year, the kid wont get off the 4th line.

                This is a building block loss. A kid who you could see being a top line player.

                Not to mention we now have one spare forward.

                And I didn't even add Matt Benning who was a huge pickup. One of the top uncommited players, probably the second best uncommited defenseman besides McCoshen who no surprise went to BC. You're selling out incoming class way way short and acting like Darcy (while an unfortunate loss) is the equivalent of losing Brian Gionta. This year, the worst thing is now we only have 1 extra forward.
                Northeastern Huskies

                Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

                Comment


                • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                  Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                  Its really annoying. The weekend formula has always been hockey on Friday and Saturday night and football on Sunday. We play a home bball game against UVM on Saturday night, I wonder if that is the reason for the Sunday game. Doesn't make much sense.
                  there are no saturday games on the HE schedule this week, 5 on friday and 3 on sunday. i wonder if that's ever happened during the time of year when everyone is playing like now.........
                  *****

                  Comment


                  • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                    Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                    And I didn't even add Matt Benning who was a huge pickup. One of the top uncommited players, probably the second best uncommited defenseman besides McCoshen who no surprise went to BC. You're selling out incoming class way way short and acting like Darcy (while an unfortunate loss) is the equivalent of losing Brian Gionta. This year, the worst thing is now we only have 1 extra forward.
                    I am selling out the forwards, not the dmen. ZAR has managed all of 5 assists in 13 games, his third year in the league. Olsson who may or may not come next year has 1 goal in 10 games. Messa has gone 14 games with 3 assists. Ferriero like I said earlier, and you agreed with is a prep kid so there is a nice jump up he is going to need to make, so he maybe a year away from making a difference for NU once he gets here. Stevens is the only kid who had committed last year who is doing anything in the USHL so far offensively, and that is due to his 9 assists in 15 games to go along with 2 goals. So it is not like he is finding the net. They NEEDED to sign Szmatula for next season because the kids they were bringing in prior had managed all of 3 goals in like 50 games. So yeah, not selling them out, more like pointing out that next years group at this point seems more like a bridge year then a upgrade which is why losing Darcy, a kid you project to be a top 6 forward is a huge loss.

                    The defense, which has not been that much of an issue, so far, will be upgraded with Benning and Cockerill. It would be nice if they landed another goalie for next year as I have little faith in the three some of Witt/Roy/Mountain if he chooses to come back which is rumored.

                    On to this week. I figure big loss down at PC as they are looking to break out of a mini scoring slump and their goalie has been hot, and a scramble for a tie at UVM as the team continues to fold under JM.

                    I hate it when the best part of the season is the first week.
                    DogHouse Graduate 2001

                    Comment


                    • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                      Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                      I am selling out the forwards, not the dmen. ZAR has managed all of 5 assists in 13 games, his third year in the league. Olsson who may or may not come next year has 1 goal in 10 games. Messa has gone 14 games with 3 assists. Ferriero like I said earlier, and you agreed with is a prep kid so there is a nice jump up he is going to need to make, so he maybe a year away from making a difference for NU once he gets here. Stevens is the only kid who had committed last year who is doing anything in the USHL so far offensively, and that is due to his 9 assists in 15 games to go along with 2 goals. So it is not like he is finding the net. They NEEDED to sign Szmatula for next season because the kids they were bringing in prior had managed all of 3 goals in like 50 games. So yeah, not selling them out, more like pointing out that next years group at this point seems more like a bridge year then a upgrade which is why losing Darcy, a kid you project to be a top 6 forward is a huge loss.

                      The defense, which has not been that much of an issue, so far, will be upgraded with Benning and Cockerill. It would be nice if they landed another goalie for next year as I have little faith in the three some of Witt/Roy/Mountain if he chooses to come back which is rumored.

                      On to this week. I figure big loss down at PC as they are looking to break out of a mini scoring slump and their goalie has been hot, and a scramble for a tie at UVM as the team continues to fold under JM.

                      I hate it when the best part of the season is the first week.
                      Glass completely empty huh. It's 10 games into the USHL season, hardly any reason to panic. And I highly doubt Olsson arriving has anything to do with Darcy's decision to leave.

                      Stevens was always considered a playmaker so it's not surprising he only has two goals. Olsson is in his first yeari n the USHL so he is going through the normal process of adapting to a new league, for God's sake it's 10 games. Fellow Star Luke Johnson who is projected as a 1st round pick this draft and of the top top prospects in the nation, has one goal in 7 games and has already played a full USHL season. I believe they did not "need" to get Szmatula unless they knew Darcy was considering leaving. You're painting an entire picture after one fifth of the season has been played and it's less than that since Dubuque and Lincoln will make the playoffs as the two best teams in the league. Szmatula was a diamond in the rough, everyone that has seen him has been impressed. Do I expect a PPG from him? No, he's 20 in a league of 17 and 18 year olds but he will be able to contribute immediately.

                      Good thing you aren't a NYGiants fan or you'd have given up on everything both Superbowl years.
                      Northeastern Huskies

                      Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

                      Comment


                      • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                        They landed Szmatula before Darcy left, at least he was visiting the school. Maybe they knew Darcy was unhappy, but I think Szmatula was coming anyway. Olsson has a chance to grow, and like I said, he may not come next year. Szmatula might be a hedge for that happening, or IS happening based on his slower then slow start. ZAR is a Keefe kid who came over from Brown, has done nothing and I would not be surprised if we cut him loose. Messa seems to be the new Morra. Stevens like I said is nice, but hardly a kid who turns heads. Solid, not spectacular, not projected to be a top 6 kid.

                        Look up front, unless Olsson turns it on and comes, and Stevens turns on the scoring tough, next year's forward class is a total bridge year.

                        I grew up in NJ. Never minded the Giants, leaned more towards the Jets at the time due to them being the "not" team and me being a sucker for the unpopular teams, which is one of the reason I became a Yankee fan. Really only like the NFL at this point for the gambling, because the game gets slower and slower and less exciting every year. "instant replay" has ruined the NFL.
                        DogHouse Graduate 2001

                        Comment


                        • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                          Well, my simple point is, the USHL is 13 games into their season. Let's look at their stats in a couple months.
                          Northeastern Huskies

                          Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

                          Comment


                          • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                            Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                            I am selling out the forwards, not the dmen. ZAR has managed all of 5 assists in 13 games, his third year in the league. Olsson who may or may not come next year has 1 goal in 10 games. Messa has gone 14 games with 3 assists. Ferriero like I said earlier, and you agreed with is a prep kid so there is a nice jump up he is going to need to make, so he maybe a year away from making a difference for NU once he gets here. Stevens is the only kid who had committed last year who is doing anything in the USHL so far offensively, and that is due to his 9 assists in 15 games to go along with 2 goals. So it is not like he is finding the net. They NEEDED to sign Szmatula for next season because the kids they were bringing in prior had managed all of 3 goals in like 50 games. So yeah, not selling them out, more like pointing out that next years group at this point seems more like a bridge year then a upgrade which is why losing Darcy, a kid you project to be a top 6 forward is a huge loss.

                            The defense, which has not been that much of an issue, so far, will be upgraded with Benning and Cockerill. It would be nice if they landed another goalie for next year as I have little faith in the three some of Witt/Roy/Mountain if he chooses to come back which is rumored.

                            On to this week. I figure big loss down at PC as they are looking to break out of a mini scoring slump and their goalie has been hot, and a scramble for a tie at UVM as the team continues to fold under JM.

                            I hate it when the best part of the season is the first week.
                            About the only things I agree with you about is that Olsson has a very good chance of being deferred and sent to power skating school. ZAR - his stats are completely unimpressive, but I haven't seen him play this year. Without seeing him and learning what he contributes I can't opine. Messa was a prolific scorer in prep school and is said to be a very "smart" player. He may not be getting a lot of ice time and/or PP opportunities given the strength of the other forwards on Muskegon and will have even less with Cam Darcy coming aboard.

                            Szmatula's recruitment was in process long before the coaches had any idea of Darcy's defection. These recruitments are rarely overnight affairs. They also would have had Stenglein, from Youngstown, except that Lowell wouldn't let him out of his LOI if he transferred to another HEA school. Don't I wish we taken that approach with Gaudreau!!

                            As for the hot PC goalie: Our coaches certainly must know his strengths and weaknesses. Our fans might wonder if he would be starting for us if he had the stones to challenge Rawlings. OTOH, we probably wouldn't have had the scholarship $ needed to have landed the Roy family. Kevin is just fun to watch. I wish I could say tthat for the team as a whole - especially the past two weekends. I'd predict a win at PC and if I'm mistaken, a close loss.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                              Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              So he is going to BU?
                              BU was not interested last summer. Kid did not get a lot of attention which is why he ended up back here. I don't think he is as good as he thinks he is.
                              Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

                                Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                                Having talked to an NHL scout who played in Hockey East in the early 2000s, some NHL teams are concerned with Madigan's game planning and player development. No one takes away his eye for talent, but NHL clubs and FA's are concerned with his ability to develop players under his watch. It will always be an issue and people can use the "well he didn't coach for 30 years" excuse.
                                I heard the same thing 16 years ago about Jerry York at BC. Its a matter of opinion.
                                Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X