Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotreDameFan27
    replied
    Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

For those of us that don't catch NBC Sports is there any idea if we can catch the IceBreaker Tournament (or even a live stream of NBC Sports) online? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    This sounds like you might have cut and pasted it from somewhere. If you did, or, even if you didn't, it's wrong. Ryan Massa no longer plays for UNO. He took a year off from the program back in July for personal reasons:

http://www.omavs.com/news/2012/7/11/...711124056.aspx

Supposedly, he's returning next season. I haven't even heard a rumor as to what this is about, either.
    No cut and paste. I looked at last year's stats, this year's roster, but didn't make the connection. It's fixed now.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Steven Summerhays hopefully will pick up where he left off (stats-wise) last season. Maine will look to Dan Sullivan to backstop them most of this season. UNO will rely on alternate captain John Faulkner and Ryan Massa while Army will rely on their alternate captain Ryan Leets and Rob Tadazak in net. Massa had the better numbers for the Mavericks last season, but there's a reason Faulkner wears a letter this season. The same can be said of Tadazak and Leets for the Black Knights.
    This sounds like you might have cut and pasted it from somewhere. If you did, or, even if you didn't, it's wrong. Ryan Massa no longer plays for UNO. He took a year off from the program back in July for personal reasons:

http://www.omavs.com/news/2012/7/11/...711124056.aspx

Supposedly, he's returning next season. I haven't even heard a rumor as to what this is about, either.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cows
    Besides the Army team, the other army that will be there are UNO fans.
    Oh, I remember the travelling UNO fans. They'd bring their milk jugs full of coins, they'd wear hats with Uno cards stuck in the brims, they'd cheer with reckless abandon. Reminded me of UIC fans. Made me a little jealous (still does, actually).

So Mr. JJfP and I got free plane tickets to KC, a nice hotel for a song and a rental car for a song and a jig. I would say I hope the Irish make it worth the money, but that might not cut it. Both Friday games are on t.v. and the championship game Saturday evening will also be televised.

Notre Dame is the only team this weekend that returns its top 2 scorers (Tynan and Lee) from last season. Maine lost their top 2 and UNO and Army each lost 2 of their top 3 scorers from a year ago. That said, I'm looking for more scoring than from ND's 2 usual suspects (who combined for 75 points last year). Maine's returnees to look out for include Joey Diamond (who had 47 points last season) and Kyle Beattie (27 points). UNO returns Matt White (40 pts.) and Ryan Walters (25 pts.) while Army's scorers include Andy Starczewski (24) and defenseman Maurice Alvarez (14).

Steven Summerhays hopefully will pick up where he left off (stats-wise) last season. Maine will look to Dan Sullivan to backstop them most of this season. UNO will rely on alternate captain John Faulkner while Army will rely on their alternate captain Ryan Leets and Rob Tadazak in net.

To know a country, you must also know its history. The same is true of a man. The last two times ND has started off the season in an exempt tourney, they then finished those seasons at the Frozen Four. Let's hope history repeats.
    Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
    I was thinking just that today. That is unless Notre Dame grossly underperforms or they can't get their offense going at all.
    There is no way UNO should lose to Army, particularly since they are practically going to be playing in front of a home crowd. Omaha is less than a 3 hour drive from Kansas City. Besides the Army team, the other army that will be there are UNO fans.

Leave a comment:

• NotreDameFan27
    replied

I kind of expect (I think) a UNO/Notre Dame final on Saturday evening in Kansas City. Is there any organized Notre Dame contingent of Notre Dame fan going?
    I was thinking just that today. That is unless Notre Dame grossly underperforms or they can't get their offense going at all.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

I kind of expect (I think) a UNO/Notre Dame final on Saturday evening in Kansas City. Is there any organized Notre Dame contingent of Notre Dame fan going?
    Mr. JJfP and me!

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    Now it's on to KC. Anyone else making the trip?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
    Did Jeff Costello even play? I didn't hear his name all night.
    Costello did not dress.
    Originally posted by NotreDameFan27
    I think the reason they play better in front of SS is because this team belongs to the Juniors, which he is one.
    Excellent point. I never really thought about it that way.

Leave a comment:

• NotreDameFan27
    replied

In the end, this was an exhibition game that doesn't count. But in the end this was an exhibition game against kids that we should have won. In the end David Gerths finally potted a goal. In the end, it doesn't count in his stats. In the end, this team just flat out plays better in front of Steven Summerhays. Yet, in the end, they just flat out don't play well in front of Mike Johnson. In the end, Johnson gave up just one goal. But in the end, we scored just one goal. In the end, we scored 2 SO goals. But, again, in the end we had to go to a SO to beat children.

I was quite impressed with Thomas DiPauli. He is a left-handed T.J. Tynan. I think he will be fun to watch. I should have picked him for my frosh-that-will-impress. Andy Ryan was pretty solid on the blue line. Sam Herr and Steven Fogarty were pretty nondescript, which can be a good thing because at least I don't remember any glaring gaffes. I also liked the communication on the ice, especially amongst the Dmen.

Dawson Cook did not play, but Kevin LaBanc looked pretty solid. Hopefully they both honor their commitments.

In other player news, Garrett Peterson will return to Notre Dame, and I assume the roster, next semester. Also, it appears that alternates may be named on an "as-needed" basis. We may see some A's next weekend.

Personally I didn't really care for the line groupings on offense or defense. I think that was the biggest problem. It could have been experiental on Jackson's part, and likely was. I'm also not sold on breaking up Tynan and Lee. I know why JJ did it, but they just seem to play better together. This team has trouble scoring for some reason. I think defense and goaltending will be fine. They should focus on scoring now.

I have a good feeling about Bryan Rust and David Gerths this year. Did Jeff Costello even play? I didn't hear his name all night.

Summerhays is clearly the guy, no more doubt. Jackson has this thing about Junior goalies, i've heard him mention it a million times, so that was probably why he gave Johnson so many chances last year. But this year it'll be all Steve and I think he'll get more leeway too.

I think the reason they play better in front of SS is because this team belongs to the Juniors, which he is one. Now that they are upperclassmen, they absolutely rule the team. Lee, Tynan and Summerhays are just the leaders of the team. This is also another reason why I think Rust, Gerth and Costello will have monster seasons too. It's good that David Gerth got that monkey off his back, if only for psychological reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

In the end, this was an exhibition game that doesn't count. But in the end this was an exhibition game against kids that we should have won. In the end David Gerths finally potted a goal. In the end, it doesn't count in his stats. In the end, this team just flat out plays better in front of Steven Summerhays. Yet, in the end, they just flat out don't play well in front of Mike Johnson. In the end, Johnson gave up just one goal. But in the end, we scored just one goal. In the end, we scored 2 SO goals. But, again, in the end we had to go to a SO to beat children.

I was quite impressed with Thomas DiPauli. He is a left-handed T.J. Tynan. I think he will be fun to watch. I should have picked him for my frosh-that-will-impress. Andy Ryan was pretty solid on the blue line. Sam Herr and Steven Fogarty were pretty nondescript, which can be a good thing because at least I don't remember any glaring gaffes. I also liked the communication on the ice, especially amongst the Dmen.

Dawson Cook did not play, but Kevin LaBanc looked pretty solid. Hopefully they both honor their commitments.

In other player news, Garrett Peterson will return to Notre Dame, and I assume the roster, next semester. Also, it appears that alternates may be named on an "as-needed" basis. We may see some A's next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

How cool is this?!
    That was very cool. It is for reasons such as this, that I love college hockey. Thank you very much for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

How cool is this?!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    ...Mario Lucia (broke leg in August) has cast off, almost weight bearing, hopes to debut for Notre Dame by Thanksgiving...
    Yay. But again, why are we learning this from a publication 3 states away?

Eek. I don't know how to feel about pre-season league guesses (think back to one year ago). I certainly don't like the idea of big heads because sometimes they get in the way of actually competing hard. This team has performed better when they come in somewhat under the radar. I guess it's time they perform well on the radar...

We have our first competition in 4 days. The Under-18 team comes to the CFIA Sunday. Thus far they are 3-1-0 and make a stop in Madison to play their first D1 team the night before playing here. Players to watch would include Tyler Motte (of the FSU goalie C.J. Motte family) and Shane Eiserman (not of the Steve Yzerman family). Each has 5 points. Their top Dman is Scott Savage with 3 points. Hunter Miska (2-0-0, 2.5 GA, .902 save %) and Thatcher Demko (1-1-0, 2.0 GA, .897 save %) have split time in net. USA is 16.7% on the PP and 85% on the PK. Dawson Cook and Kevin Labanc are ND commits, so we'll get a sneak peak at how they play.

With no question marks about league moves, no frenzy about the new digs, no media coverage for the documentary, and the FB team actually doing well thus keeping everyone's attention on those players, I'm hopeful that the hockey team can simply focus on the task at hand: winning a national championship for Christ's sake.

If you're going to bother dreaming, you may as well dream big!

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied

“@Russostrib: #MNWild prospect Mario Lucia (broke leg in August) has cast off, almost weight bearing, hopes to debut for Notre Dame by Thanksgiving (1/2)”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X