Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Anders Lee will not be winning a NC at Notre Dame as he signed with the Isles. His behavior in the post-loss presser was puzzling then, but makes more sense now as his head was definitely elsewhere.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

release from Gamblers:

ANDERS LEE SIGNS WITH THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Former Green Bay Gamblers forward Anders Lee has signed a NHL contract with the New York Islanders. Lee is expected to join the team later this week.
      Lee led the Green Bay Gamblers in scoring during the 2009-10 season with 66 points (35g, 31a) in 59 games played. For his efforts, Lee was named USHL Rookie of the Year. The Edina, Minnesota native followed a strong regular season campaign into the playoffs tallying 22 points (10g, 12a) helping the Gamblers secure a Clark Cup Championship.

As a freshman, Lee led Notre Dame in goals (24) in 44 games and ranked second on the team with 44 points. For his efforts, Lee was named to the CCHA All-Rookie Team and was a second-team all-CCHA selection. This past season, Lee was named to the CCHA First Team All-Conference scoring 34 points (17g, 17a) in 40 games. In 84 career games at Notre Dame, he amassed 78 points (41g, 37a).

The Gamblers return home Tuesday, April 2nd as they welcome the Waterloo Blackhawks to the Resch Center. Face-off is set for 7:05pm. For more information on promotions or purchasing tickets visit gamblershockey.com.
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        As klbaum1077 states, even if it were over the entire CCHA post-season, here are the actual stats in that instance:

Summerhays: 4-0-0, 1.26 GA, .955 save %
        Racine: 5-1-0, 2.17 GA, .911 save %

Still not justified. But like I said, he's got 4 more games to turn more heads.
        I was surprised by this also, but in retrospect, Racine was brilliant in the playoffs, not just at JLA. Summerhays probably deserved it, but didn't have to be as good against lesser opponents. Michigan had to beat NMU-> WMU-> Miami-> ND. ND had to beat BG->OSU->Michigan. In terms of how the conference finished, on paper the right choice was made.

Too bad he and the rest of the team mailed it in once they got to Toledo, though. What a waste. Why could they have not done that a week sooner?

Comment

Well since I was busy all week I didn't see the post about Ander's going to the NHL. Thus it was a huge surprise when I got a text alerting me of this first NHL goal just a few minutes ago. Congrats to him on that but its still a huge blow to the team. Makes me wonder if his move is going to spur movement from others from our "lowly" NCAA team to the big bad NHL
          TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Not only was it his first goal, but it came on his first shot. He delivered a pretty decent hit in his first shift too, but unfortunately the Jets turned around and scored after Lee's goal...and it was his guy who scored.

I think the consensus is that Stephen Johns is also likely to bolt. I feel he's the only other legitimate departure.

Edit: Twitter is blowing up with tweets from his former players et al about his game and goal...but someone needs to tell Jeff Costello that Mr. Hockey is spelled Gord-I-E.
            Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              I was surprised by this also, but in retrospect, Racine was brilliant in the playoffs, not just at JLA. Summerhays probably deserved it, but didn't have to be as good against lesser opponents. Michigan had to beat NMU-> WMU-> Miami-> ND. ND had to beat BG->OSU->Michigan. In terms of how the conference finished, on paper the right choice was made.

Too bad he and the rest of the team mailed it in once they got to Toledo, though. What a waste. Why could they have not done that a week sooner?
              He was very good but they dont vote on the whole playoffs just the 2 games in detroit and Racine gave up 4 goals.

Comment

Not pretty but a goals a goal. Here's the video of Ander's first NHL tally

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/video...id=DL|NYI|home

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post

Now we're on to a whole different animal. Notre Dame needs to shake off those 1 seed blues and play this next game like they are the underdog who needed an auto-bid to make the field.
                  Dang. Why did I even bring it up...?

Perhaps someday this program will learn what it takes to compete in the NCAAs when there are any sort of expectations. 3 number one seeds, 3 simply awful performances. The first one can be forgiven. The last two, not so much. A very, very disappointing end to a season I had hoped initially had great promise, and then came to believe going into March 30th that promise was finally being realized.

What the he l l happened? How could this team look like one of the weakest teams in the field of those among the 8 who dropped out in the opening round? Only BC looked as unexpectedly bad as we did, and I think they've won enough lately anyway. Will serious questions be asked of Jackson finally? 4 years ago most thought he was on his way to building the kind of program they have at BC. But for every step forward since then there has been at least one step back. The utter failure of the team to respond to anything SCSU did for the final 50 minutes Saturday speaks volumes about the way they were prepared. SCSU proved they were playing good hockey with their subsequent victory over Miami, but they should not have made Notre Dame look like an unexpected autobid out of a weak conference the day before. Yet that's what we looked like.

Next October we will begin playing under much different circumstances. New teams, new schemes, new travel. How will Notre Dame respond to all those changes? Hopefully a different approach will be taken by the coaching staff since it looked like all the work needed to be done to make the tournament left them with nothing left to give once they got there.

And congrats to Anders Lee. We'll miss him more than he misses us, probably. There are a couple of forwards who are really going to need to step up their games to make up for his departure.
                  Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

You people are the most joyless ****ing people in the history of fandom.

Comment

You're new to the world of sports, aren't you?

Comment

Time to start the offseason thread? Was hoping it would start on a little more of a positive note...

Comment

Working...
                        X