Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
    Hopefully get a draw close to home: ______
    Pretty much a given. ND will be playing in either Grand Rapids or Toledo. QU and UML will split the eastern venues, ND and Minnesota will split the western venues.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Dear Notre Dame:

Thank you.

Sincerely,
      All Yale Fans

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
        Pretty much a given. ND will be playing in either Grand Rapids or Toledo. QU and UML will split the eastern venues, ND and Minnesota will split the western venues.
        Welcome to Toledo not a great town but its where i call home.

Comment

Seed: One Seed (4th Overall)
          Site: Toledo, Ohio
          Opponent: St. Cloud State
          Saturday at 1:30 ET
          TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Holy crap this was a fun weekend. Great hockey. The last Mason Cup ever. Beating Michigan (again!) to win it. And a #1 seed. The only thing that would have made it even better would have been if Steven Summerhays had won what was rightfully his. But, he's got 2 more weekends to right that wrong.

*****http://distilleryimage6.instagram.com/f14915e294cc11e2880f22000a1f9ca7_7.jpg******
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
              Holy crap this was a fun weekend. Great hockey. The last Mason Cup ever. Beating Michigan (again!) to win it. And a #1 seed. The only thing that would have made it even better would have been if Steven Summerhays had won what was rightfully his. But, he's got 2 more weekends to right that wrong.

*****http://distilleryimage6.instagram.com/f14915e294cc11e2880f22000a1f9ca7_7.jpg******
              Can not believe he was not voted to the all tournament team what a joke that vote was.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                Can not believe he was not voted to the all tournament team what a joke that vote was.
                Maybe it was for the whole tournament, not just the last weekend? It's the only way that I can think of that the choice of Racine over Summerhays could be justified.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                  Maybe it was for the whole tournament, not just the last weekend? It's the only way that I can think of that the choice of Racine over Summerhays could be justified.
                  Im pretty sure they vote only on games played this weekend. Even if they voted on the whole tournament he stopped 82 of 86 shots and 36 of 38 this weekend while Racine gave up 11 goals in the tournament and 4 this weekend. I know he played 2 more games than Summerhayes but i cant not believe he got that honor over a guy with the stats summerhays had.
                  Last edited by klbaum1077; 03-24-2013, 11:53 PM.

Comment

As klbaum1077 states, even if it were over the entire CCHA post-season, here are the actual stats in that instance:

Summerhays: 4-0-0, 1.26 GA, .955 save %
                    Racine: 5-1-0, 2.17 GA, .911 save %

Still not justified. But like I said, he's got 4 more games to turn more heads.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

First things first, Summerhays got screwed.

I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised and I definitely need to eat a few words/posts. While I was hopeful for these kinds of outcomes in September when they began practice, I was fairly well afraid in January we'd not see them. They righted the ship and slowly and surely began playing better and better hockey over the last 7 weeks, culminating in 2 dominating performances that seemed to be easier than the 3-1 scores indicated. The team has matched their talent with an effort and focus befitting their skill.

To enter the NCAAs as a one seed playing as close to Notre Dame as possible is an outcome that any team would take when the puck drops in the fall. To do so when some (but not all of you) were doubting it could be done (with good reason by those of us who did) is sort of like the icing on the cake. Well the icing would be a few more wins, but let's not get too far ahead...

I like what Jackson has said now going forward with the rest of their games -- however many that may be -- in that it is more about what they can do than what the other teams can do. At this point anyone can win. You are either facing a great team, or a team on a great winning run, or a combination of the two. Of all the teams that should know anything is possible, we are the epitome of that team. Our staff has had plenty of experience preparing them for whatever may happen.

Sad to see the CCHA finally come to its bittersweet end. Sad to see it go out with such a whimper, at least off the ice. The Joe looked and sounded dead from the FOX broadcasts, and the row after row of empty seats seemed an insult to what used to be the best of these tournaments in the NCAA. Apparently there was barely any indication that the CCHA was in town in Detroit. It has been that way for most of the last few of these, but for the last one you would have hoped for something different.

Now we're on to a whole different animal. Notre Dame needs to shake off those 1 seed blues and play this next game like they are the underdog who needed an auto-bid to make the field. If we continue to bring the effort we saw in Detroit, win or lose, we should all be satisfied.

Of course 4 more wins would be the best possible satisfaction...

Comment

Mercy--Nick Larson looks gooood with a beard. Especially a playoff beard. He and Mike Voran need to keep the facial hair. I don't like clean-shaven men as a rule and these 2 look great with beards. On the flip side are Stephen Johns and Steven Summerhays with facial hair. Uhhh. No.

Anyhoo.

Got our regional tickets today. Never thought I'd see the day when I said, "I cannot wait to get to Toledo!" This ought to be an interesting game as SCSU has one of the best offenses in the country while ND has one of the best defenses in the country. They won their regular season, but got knocked out of the league tourney, while ND finished 2nd in the regular season, but won the CCHA tourney. Lately, both teams' special teams have been identical.

Looking at the last 10 games, SCSU is 6-4-0 but has managed to score 3.6 goals/game in that stretch. Their GA in their last 10 is 2.8. Their PP in that time frame is 15% while their PK has been killing at a 77% clip.

Notre Dame in their last 10 has gone 7-1-2 with a GF of 2.6 and a GA of 1.7. Their PP has also gone 15% while their PK has been effective 77.4% of the time in those games.

Ryan Faragher has a GA of 2.87 with a .900 save % over St. Cloud's last 10 while Steven Summerhays has a GA of one goal better at 1.87 and a save % of .927 over his last 10. In that span, St. Cloud's top 5 scorers have registered 45 points. ND's top 5 have scored 35 points.

In the words of Will Shakespeare, "Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them."

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post

Maybe they knew something we didn't !!

Anybody think maybe St. Cloud's coach talked to Bemidi St. Coach on how to beat Jeff Jackson's System?

Not judging, just saying !

Comment

I doubt that. I think it was more of a case where one team showed up and the other did not. Even the play by play guys on ESPN3 said something to that effect.

After watching them beat a very hot Michigan team on Sunday, I was a little surprised by this.

Comment

Originally posted by 25 years and counting View Post
                              Anybody think maybe St. Cloud's coach talked to Bemidi St. Coach on how to beat Jeff Jackson's System?
                              The real problem is that this team cannot play with expectations. SCSU is a very good team: very fast, Hobey finalist with 3821 points and they are quick and disciplined. ND was completely undisciplined (and while I believe the refs missed 2 interference calls against SCSU, they didn't make up the calls against ND), they passed up obvious shots for who knows what reason, they got beat to every single puck and couldn't pick up the guy on the back door, not once, not twice, but 3 times that resulted in goals.

They played NOTHING like they had been playing in their unbeaten streak. That play was simple. Battle for the puck, forecheck, take shots and don't take penalties.

If I never again see this team awarded a #1 seed in the tourney I will be happy. When no one expects much, they prove us all wrong. When we expect something, they...well...prove us all wrong.

That said, I am happy with the results last weekend in Detroit. I'm happy with the play of certain players this season such as Eric Johnson and David Gerths, and of late, Peter Schneider and Nick Larson. I'm happy that sports affords the ability to start with a clean slate in the next season.

So here's to wishing Larson, Sam Calabrese, Mike Johnson and Kevin Nugent great success in their future endeavors and as for the rest of the team: I hope this sticks in your collective craw and festers for a long time.

Comment

The curse of the CCHA Playoff title vs CCHA Regular Season title strikes again.

2010- Michigan wins playoff, miami wins regular season. Michigan loses in 2OT in Regional final to Miami *cough bull**** call*
                                2011- miami wins playoff, Michigan wins regular season. miami knocked out in first round and Michigan is national runner-up
                                2012- WMU wins playoff, Ferris State wins regular season. WMU knocked out in first round and ferris is national runner-up
                                2013- ND wins playoff, miami wins regular season. ND knocked out in first round and miami is playing in regional final.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X