Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

It's sink or swim time. I think if Notre Dame loses either of these 2 games, their season will essentially be all over except the shouting.

Notre Dame is better on paper than Michigan in virtually every stat, even melded ones. Our top 10 have an average of 16.4 points/player. Their top 10 have an average of 15.5. Our PP stands at 16.9%. Theirs is 14.7%. Our PK kills off 84.7% while theirs kills 83.6%. Our GF/game is decent at 2.82. Theirs is only better by a hair at 2.86 (the only stat in these listed that is better than ND's). Our GA is 2.18. Theirs is a fat 3.43. While we've each given up 18 PPG's, we have scored more PPG's than they have, scored more shorties than they have and given up far fewer shorties. Our top (?) goalie has a save % of .921 and a GA of 1.96. Still quite solid. They don't have a top goalie. The top save % on their roster is .892. The top GA (from a different goalie) is 3.11.

It's now. Or never.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      It's sink or swim time. I think if Notre Dame loses either of these 2 games, their season will essentially be all over except the shouting.

Notre Dame is better on paper than Michigan in virtually every stat, even melded ones.
      Agreed. And not only better on paper, better on ice. We played very solid hockey at Yost. Trailed just 1 time for less than a full period the entire weekend, and dominated them late. The only team Michigan has had real success against so far this season is MSU and we're 3-1 against the Spartans.

Splitting the final 8 games in just about any fashion likely means Notre Dame will need to make at least some sort of a run in the CCHA playoffs to earn an NCAA bid. If we sweep the teams we lead and get swept by the teams we trail, it will almost certainly require 2 wins in Detroit to make it. In the entire history of this program they have NEVER made an NCAA tournament when the only way to get that bid required a playoff championship. If we continue to stumble over the next 4 weekends, who here believes that we can suddenly right the ship for two -- or maybe three -- consecutive weekends in March?

A few weeks ago I posted that I wanted to see this team fix some problems instead of letting them define another season. Well, I've yet to see that. In fact more problems have cropped up, and time has just about run out. So have the excuses. Get this god**** thing fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        Get this god**** thing fixed.
        Agreed right back atcha.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Get this god**** thing fixed.
          Hell yeah! Maybe this will fire everybody up enough. A little blast from the past:

Comment

I have complained in the past so let be the first to say what a great game and atmosphere tonight. The student section was packed along with students in the SRO and filling the balcony as well. The band was given many opportunities tonight during dead periods. Was it just me or was there a lot less piped in music and when they did it didn't seem as loud? There were a number of times tonight that I had that feeling I would get when things were rocking in the Joyce. I even think I let out of few more yells than I remember. Even the promotions seemed to fit more into the game instead of distracting from the game. Thank you ND hockey band. Thank you ND for striking the right balance. I even saw the band go behind the Michigan bench and strike up the victory march. When that happened I think I even saw fans on the south side stand up, the first time I can remember that.

As for the game let me give a big shout out to Nick Larson. We been on him about some stupid plays recently but his great defensive play at mid ice led directly to ND second goal. Good to see the power play (Rust goal) get one tonight. Hopefully this game can be that key turning point this team so desperately needs. My optimistic side thinks it can. Can not wait for tomorrow night.

Comment

There were two PPGs, Lee's second was also scored with the man advantage. Of course, two shorties given up meant they ended up even on the PP.
              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by ND1 View Post
                As for the game let me give a big shout out to Nick Larson. We been on him about some stupid plays recently but his great defensive play at mid ice led directly to ND second goal. Good to see the power play (Rust goal) get one tonight. Hopefully this game can be that key turning point this team so desperately needs. My optimistic side thinks it can. Can not wait for tomorrow night.
                I made the comment at the game that when you take away the stupid penalties, Nick Larson is as good at what he does as any player in the CCHA. He can shut people down, he can eat up the puck in the corner, and he's as good a forward as we've got when you want to get a good forecheck cycle going. He played a solid game tonight.

As poorly as Michigan played, this game shouldn't have been even as close as a 3 goal win. Russo needlessly pinching and being hopelessly out of position led to the first Michigan goal, and Johns has just turned into a turnover machine, with one turnover leading to the second Michigan shorthander and another indirectly leading to the first one. The team is down to just one spare defenseman now, but I honestly think his play has earned some time in the stands.

All in all the win should be a good boost to their confidence, and there were enough hiccups for some lessons to be learned. Please learn them.

Comment

Anyone know the story of why Michigan is struggling? I watched Jacob Trouba at the World Juniors and he was a dominating player for the US. Last night I payed particular attention to him and was not overly impressed. He didn't impact the game much although it doesn't help when he spent 4 minutes in the sin bin early in the game.

Before I get accused of being too Pollyannish last night, I realize there are still serious concerns with this team. The goaltending is still way too inconsistent this late in the season and some of our d men continue to make really poor decisions, one in particular. Does anyone think Jackson was sending a message by starting Eric Johnson thus depriving us the big introduction " from beautiful Wampum, PA"?

All that said I am still hopeful we can use last night as a springboard for the rest of the season. I am pleading with the ND student body to FIRST make that oh so long walk to Compton before heading to Purcell. Hockey can't compete with ESPN, but this team needs you more than ever tonight.

Comment

Anyone know the story of why Michigan is struggling?
                    They have a lot of talented players that don't always seem to get it done. I have seen them play 4 times in person this season and I would say goaltending is a big part of their problem. I only saw the 3rd period last night but how many of the ND goals would have been considered weak and maybe should not have been. In the 4 games I saw I would estimate at least a third.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                      They have a lot of talented players that don't always seem to get it done. I have seen them play 4 times in person this season and I would say goaltending is a big part of their problem. I only saw the 3rd period last night but how many of the ND goals would have been considered weak and maybe should not have been. In the 4 games I saw I would estimate at least a third.
                      Not one. The goals were a result of 3 great plays by Jeff Costello and David Gerths capitalizing on 2 opportunities.Johnson's goal from the slot could be considered a little soft.Both teams D-men struggled with puck control all night. It almost looked like there was a promblem with choppy ice it got so bad. Each team could of scored 10 last night.Hopefuuly Notre Dame will straighten that out tonite (two guys in particular).My hat goes off to #17 who played his best game and Lee's line. I'm sure #'s 9 and 21 are glad to see Costello back skating full-time.They need a sweep to keep things going in the right direction. Who will JJ start in Goal this evening?

Comment

Anyone know the story of why Michigan is struggling?
                        Goaltending issues have plagued this team all season. They had a couple of defections, and I think it finally came home to roost. If not for Hunwick being such an unknown gem for them, it may have been evident a couple of years ago. I don't think any of the three goalies was expected to be a number 1 guy. Merrill missing another first half has been big for them too. They were a much more sound team in their own end last year once he got into the lineup. Trouba is even more immature than he has looked to me on TV. A lot of skill, not many clues in how to use it. At times this season, and at times last night, it looks like Michigan just doesn't compete. If we had played soundly in our own end we could have won by 6 or 7 goals last night.

Our entire corps of forwards played well. Picked up a lot of slack on the back check and skated well all night. They worked hard and got to open spots on the ice and earned the big result on the scoreboard. Gerths first goal, both of Lees goals and the first Rust goal were all the results of guys going to the net and/or creating space. Hard working aspects of the game that your skills can then reward with goals. This was the best overall game our guys up front have played in quite a while.

All that said, if Notre Dame doesn't fix the other things, wins like that are not going to be evident against anyone else. Johnson was mediocre again. Michigan's first two goals were soft, and I hate goals on the first shot you see in a period, something that he seems to do more than any goalie I have ever seen. And the play by our defense in our end is simply atrocious. Eric Johnson has played well -- even without the goal, and congrats to him on that -- but he's a sixth man. Calabrese has disappeared. Johns needs a mental health day. Just get him out of the lineup for a night. As a unit they are not supporting each other nearly well enough. And our woes on special teams are mostly the result of poor play out of the defensemen. Tynan, Voran and the rest of the forwards are still killing penalties pretty well, but our defense makes one awful decision after another, both on the PK and the PP.

We have the guys up front to win big. The guys behind them need to set the tone. Most of them have played much better than they are playing now.

Comment

Michigan's first two goals were soft
                          I disagree. The first goal was a screened slapshot that I think hit a corner (possibly deflected), and the second was scored by a wide open guy in the slot below the circles. The only possible argument against Johnson on the first is positioning, and he had no chance on the second.

I'd be more inclined to criticize him for the fourth goal, which was on a breakaway but scored five-hole, than either of the first two.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            I disagree. The first goal was a screened slapshot that I think hit a corner (possibly deflected), and the second was scored by a wide open guy in the slot below the circles. The only possible argument against Johnson on the first is positioning, and he had no chance on the second.

I'd be more inclined to criticize him for the fourth goal, which was on a breakaway but scored five-hole, than either of the first two.
                            I don't know Craig, I just looked at the replays, and we'll have to agree to disagree. Merrill's shot may have been tipped, but Johnson wasn't screened and that puck needs to be stopped, and on the Nieves goal Johnson chased Lynch around to his stick side and left himself out of position pretty severely. It was a great feed and shot, but I still think had he played it more conservatively, he may have had a good look at Nieves in front of him. And on top of that it was another performance with goals on consecutive shots, late and early period goals, and a goal on the first shot of a period. I think he played quite poorly.

Comment

I would just take these six points and move on to the big series you have with Miami and WMU.
                              If Notre Dame improves from a poor January, it will be because of their talent, not defeating the 9th or 10th place team at home with by far the worst defense and goaltending in the CCHA.

The goaltending and defense you face in future games will be a night and day difference then the four goals scored off M turnovers last night. ND is the worst CCHA matchup for Michigan given the size, experience, physical play along with Tynan and Lee probably being the two best forwards in the league.

ND can go as far as its goaltending takes them.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                                ND can go as far as its goaltending takes them.
                                Oh, great.

I can't add much to the discussion about last night except to emphasize what has been stated.

1. Sit Stephen Johns. Please. He has been brutal in front of our goalies.
                                2. Eric Johnson is solid. Johns could learn a lot from him.
                                3. Kevin Lind was the best Dman out there last night.
                                4. Steven Summerhays should start tonight. Johnson got the win last night, but not because of anything special he did. Of course I may regret that request if Summerhays poops the crease. Again.
                                5. Our special teams blow chunks right now.
                                6. I'm not optimistic about the remainder of the season or the post-season. 2 of our 3 wins since 2013 started are against a back-up FSU goalie who started only his 2nd game and a really bad Michigan team with an even worse Michigan goalie.
                                7. Nick Larson is a good player when he isn't stupid.
                                8. David Gerths is a good player when Nick Larson isn't stupid.

I'll get optimistic if we win 5 of our last 7.

Comment

Working...
                                X