Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    In a development that is almost hockey related we have a brand new reason to be disappointed. If not in the team, at least in one member. Jared Beers was the latest Irish athlete to be arrested, early this morning after allegedly assaulting a woman --either a bartender of the establishment's manager -- at a place near campus.
    http://www.wsbt.com/sports/wsbt-iris...,0,23771.story

Since he's a nice local boy I hope ma and pa have one ear and ResLife the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      Look at it this way: good things happened after the last batch of arrests (a trip to the FF). Maybe this cloud has a silver lining...
      Well that's certainly a glass half full attitude. Someone should be happy.

Knowing that this story has hardly been written and 99% of the information is yet to be seen, I still have a number of concerns. He is alleged to have committed the battery a little before midnight, and over 2 hours later was still drunk enough to be arrested for public intoxication. Did he decide all on his own to go to the police department to retrieve his wallet or were there friends (perhaps teammates) who foolishly let him go? And how drunk, stupid, or both was he to resist law enforcement AT the police station? Under the Indiana code to be guilty of resisting law enforcement you have to be in their presence and know they are cops. So did he actually resist at Sample Street? You aren't going to be charged with it simply for leaving before the cops arrive, because to be charged with fleeing law enforcement the same circumstances apply.

Fortunately for Beers, these are all misdemeanors -- even if a couple are class A misdemeanors -- and the prosecutors office is likely to charge him with fewer offenses than what he was arrested on suspicion of. People with clean records don't end up incarcerated even for class A misdemeanors. But it certainly raises questions as to his return to the team, in both the short term and the long. Hopefully if his problems are deeper than just a night of stupid and unfortunate decisions, he'll get the help he needs.
      Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Knowing that this story has hardly been written and 99% of the information is yet to be seen, I still have a number of concerns. He is alleged to have committed the battery a little before midnight, and over 2 hours later was still drunk enough to be arrested for public intoxication. Did he decide all on his own to go to the police department to retrieve his wallet or were there friends (perhaps teammates) who foolishly let him go? And how drunk, stupid, or both was he to resist law enforcement AT the police station? Under the Indiana code to be guilty of resisting law enforcement you have to be in their presence and know they are cops. So did he actually resist at Sample Street? You aren't going to be charged with it simply for leaving before the cops arrive, because to be charged with fleeing law enforcement the same circumstances apply.
        My take was that he was arrested because they tried to arrest him earlier and he fled, not because of anything he did at the station.

The visual of him going down to the station to claim his wallet has me picturing Homer Simpson going after his motorboat. (Someone must get that reference!)

Comment

... Show me another team that was staring down virtually the rest of the NCAA on January 1st, and 3 months later was left off the guest list for the NCAA party.
          tOSU. Last season. Number 1/2 heading into the new year. Only won 1 or 2 games outright (and a couple of gimmick shootout wins) after the 1st of the year. Totally depressing.
          Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Fortunately for Beers, these are all misdemeanors -- even if a couple are class A misdemeanors -- and the prosecutors office is likely to charge him with fewer offenses than what he was arrested on suspicion of. .
            The latest news blip lists two of his offences as felonies http://www.abc57.com/home/top-storie...189757611.html

Comment

Originally posted by StillaLeafsFan View Post
              The latest news blip lists two of his offences as felonies http://www.abc57.com/home/top-storie...189757611.html
              Well, I'm not sure based on that article. The reporter refers to Beers as one of Notre Dame's top defensemen and we all know that to be incorrect. He had even been replaced as the 6th man by Johnson in the last few weeks and wasn't getting any ice time at all. Barring injury he was about as likely to play this weekend as I was.

Intimidation, battery, resisting law enforcement, and the other offenses listed are all usually charged as misdemeanors. To be raised to the felony level, intimidation, battery and resisting law enforcement all need additional serious elements. Fleeing or resisting by use of a vehicle for instance. Battery is a misdemeanor unless committed knowingly against a law enforcement officer (or other public officials, like fire fighters performing their duties), or the victim meets certain criteria, none of which this manager met as far as I know. It appears though that he was driven to the police by someone else, because he was not also charged with operating a vehicle under the influence, which he certainly would have have been charged with had he driven himself, based on his blood alcohol level and his intoxicated state.

Is this an isolated incident of a hockey player behaving incredibly stupid and immature? Or was half the team there, getting as drunk as he was getting and they just kept their wits enough to avoid getting arrested as well? Thankfully he didn't kill anyone drinking and driving, and the woman's injuries are likely not severe. What a dope. Hopefully Jackson and the rest of the coaches have a better handle on this team that it appears right now.

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
              tOSU. Last season. Number 1/2 heading into the new year. Only won 1 or 2 games outright (and a couple of gimmick shootout wins) after the 1st of the year. Totally depressing.
              I stand corrected, at least somewhat. Now someone find me a team that did the same thing two years in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                Another example, not nearly as recent, is 1980-81 Northeastern. They won their first twelve games, then lost 13 of the final 14 including the last eleven in a row.

They followed it up with the school's only Frozen Four appearance, a third-place finish in 1981-82.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Not a surprise announcement, but Beers has been kicked off the team. Suspended indefinitely is the vernacular the university will use, but he's certainly played his last game for Notre Dame for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                    Another example, not nearly as recent, is 1980-81 Northeastern. They won their first twelve games, then lost 13 of the final 14 including the last eleven in a row.

They followed it up with the school's only Frozen Four appearance, a third-place finish in 1981-82.
                    It was definitely harder in those days to make the tournament, as only 8 teams were selected, albeit from a smaller pool. 12 games into the season was probably only early November as well. But that is a pretty epic collapse.

I still want to know who has done it two years in a row (and I know Notre Dame hasn't "done it" yet) though. Anything can happen once. A bad year in isolation is expected. But the startling similarities in how the two seasons are unfolding are what have me asking so many questions.

Comment

They also started playing later in those days. First game was on 11/25 (11 - 5 win over Harvard), last of the twelve-game win streak was on 1/20 (12 - 4 win over Merrimack, who were D2 at the time), last win was 1/28 (8 - 6 win over BU).

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I like how effectively and accurately our local media is reporting the Jared Beers incident. On the one hand, Dan Murphy reports that according to a SBPD spokesman, no BAC was taken because Beers wasn't driving. Yet Jaclyn Kelly, reporting for local ABC 57 said he WAS tested and his BAC was .14. She also referred to him as one of Notre Dame's "leading defensive men." This is clearly someone who knows something about hockey. If a small and specific only to Notre Dame detail such as that is wrong, how much else did she (or other reporters) get wrong?

I'm told by someone who grew up with Beers and knew him pretty well that he is an extremely intelligent young man, and at least when he was a bit younger, was a really good guy. This doesn't excuse what he may have done, but his status as a Notre Dame athlete might have played into how (and how much) this story is covered. I'm guessing that like many arrests, the police stated he committed 25 different offenses, and at the end of the day most are not going to stick and he'll plead guilty to the least serious of the charges. His punishment from a Notre Dame standpoint will likely be much worse than what the state doles out.

Comment

Alcohol can certainly make you act in ways you wouldn't otherwise.

Hopefully the rest of his hockey days aren't spent farting around in the SPHL, but that just may be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            They also started playing later in those days. First game was on 11/25 (11 - 5 win over Harvard), last of the twelve-game win streak was on 1/20 (12 - 4 win over Merrimack, who were D2 at the time), last win was 1/28 (8 - 6 win over BU).
                            Wow, that is a late start date. Other than a couple of years during the club/Div 1 Ind. seasons, Notre Dame hasn't started a season after October 31st in about 40 years. Even then when their seasons started in November it was always the first weekend. I know now the Ivy league teams in the ECAC limit their games and start a bit later, but do you recall if that was common for all of the ECAC teams in the old pre-Hockey East days?

Comment

I didn't start following NU hockey until I enrolled in 1993. Everything I know about the team's history, I know from trolling through the archives, which the school puts online.

I don't know how representative NU was of the ECAC as far as scheduling goes, but I assume they were fairly representative.

NU played on 11/30 in '57-'58. Prior to that, the start date had been in early December.

Starting in '62-'63, the Huskies would regularly begin play at the end of November, with the odd year mixed in where the first game was ca. 12/5. This scheduling continued through '80-'81.

Starting in '81-'82, NU began play at the beginning of November, opening on 11/10. The Huskies still only had three games in the month in '81-'82, but the schedule filled out in the following seasons.

'84-'85 was the first "modern" schedule, as NU began play on 10/12 against Michigan Tech, but the start date would go back to late October until the late '90's, when it began to creep up into mid-October ('97-'98), finally moving to early October in the 2000's.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                                Alcohol can certainly make you act in ways you wouldn't otherwise.

Hopefully the rest of his hockey days aren't spent farting around in the SPHL, but that just may be the case.
                                "There is not one thing in my life, I could'nt make worse by drinking over it"

Anonymous

Not judging, just saying

Comment

Working...
                                X