Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by Irish83 View Post
    The pp unit before the break was the top two lines. Depending on who drew the penalty it was 22-18-16 or 9-11-21. Also Rust has been their most consistant forward and is a first liner. 5 and 8 have been the blueliners on the PP followed by Johns and Taker not that it matters. Last night the second unit was made up with 3 different lines and it took 3-4 shifts to straigten out the lines.
    Jackson is a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to lines and combinations. And when there are injuries or lackluster performances it's pretty unremarkable that the lines need some straightening out.

I honestly don't think any of it is head games. Others may see that differently. Jackson seems to have developed a bit of a Herb Brooks like reputation for being a coach who wants to be unapproachable or thinks keeping players off guard with head games is a useful tactic. I actually don't think he is like this at all. To me he's an Xs and Os guy to the ends of the Earth. I think the messages he sends need little deciphering. If a guy doesn't hustle back to negate an icing call and then sits for the rest of the period he understands the message. I do think he handled his goaltending issues last year pretty poorly, but I honestly think it was because he didn't have a handle on who he trusted. He may have screwed the pooch there, but I don't think he was yanking anyone around as a way to get into their heads.

Comment

The pp unit before the break was the top two lines. Depending on who drew the penalty it was 22-18-16 or 9-11-21. Also Rust has been their most consistant forward and is a first liner. 5 and 8 have been the blueliners on the PP followed by Johns and Taker not that it matters. Last night the second unit was made up with 3 different lines and it took 3-4 shifts to straigten out the lines.
      The top PP line consists of 4 forwards and a Dman. As for the different lines, it's like I said. The season is "new" again with Costello out. It'll take a while to figure out what combination works. And as for me completely forgetting Rust, I'm gonna claim temporary insanity. Maybe not even "temporary."
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        And here comes Pollyanna Pauline, who believes in trophies for everyone and doesn't believe in keeping score.

Last time I checked, they do keep score in college hockey, and I'd rather see an empty seat in the CFIA than one filled by someone who doesn't care if the team is held accountable. Same coaches, most of the same players, and some of the same issues bubbling forth as last season. If you're not nervous, my guess is you don't care if the final record is 19-17 or 25-11.

Here's your ribbon:

*****http://www.athleticawards.com/images/products/winnerspop.jpg******
        LOL. Perspective...

They lost three out of four games on the road. One of those games came against a top ranked Minnesota team which was a non-conference game. Another one came with our backup goalie in. Alright, on this little road trip they've had trouble scoring. This is most likely due to the fact that a) they lost one player from their top line to injury and b) the most promising freshman, who works on the second line, was sluggish and still recovering from a tournament in RUSSIA.

Calm down.

P.S. You were the one wetting your pants after the first three weekends even though we were 4-2 and had won the IceBreaker Tournament. Then we won all but one of our next ten games, where the only game we lost should have ended up a tie. JJ just has to get everyone back on the same page, no need for hystrionics.

Comment

Not only is Jeff Costello out, but also Mike Voran?! And possibly another "unnamed" player? Losing grit and scoring is bad enough. Now we lose one of the best penalty killers along with possibly a player-to-be-figured-out-later (although I fear I know who it is based on watching the BG game...). Not feelin' good about this trend into bad luck, bad play and bad losses...

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
            ... no need for hystrionics.
            Histrionics? IrishHockeyFan was calm and measured compared to what I think of this team. Here's some histrionics. This team sucks. They're selfish and rudderless. I'm not certain that there are leaders but I am certain if there were, there wouldn't be any followers. The game tonight was given away. More than once. I don't give a tinkers damm who wasn't available tonight. The problems were the guys who dressed. This team is a collection of individualistic talent. Once teams get a handle on what it does, they see how to beat them. This team is going to poop the bed until March and fall completely out of contention for anything other than home ice in the CCHAs first round. Too bad it's going to play out this way once again. And like IrishHockeyfan offered in his post, I'll be glad to revisit this one in March if for some reason this team starts playing like more than a collection of somewhat talented hockey players and wins something that a month ago was theirs to take. A good stretch here and they would have buried Miami and Western Michigan. There you go, chief. Histrionics.

Comment

Oh, and by the way, I hope Pooley enjoyed the shower he took after his penalty killing unit gave away whatever scrap of momentum by basically playing an ol'e defense. Best water bottle toss I've seen Jackson make since 2009 at the Joyce. Of course he was angry at Kevin Langseth then, not completely frustrated with his own team/coach. Bench everyone you can and start the scrubs. More histrionics there for you.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                Oh, and by the way, I hope Pooley enjoyed the shower he took after his penalty killing unit gave away whatever scrap of momentum by basically playing an ol'e defense. Best water bottle toss I've seen Jackson make since 2009 at the Joyce. Of course he was angry at Kevin Langseth then, not completely frustrated with his own team/coach. Bench everyone you can and start the scrubs. More histrionics there for you.
                Feel better?

Comment

Just puttin' it out in the universe that ND better win tonight, lest we watch a promising first half slip into oblivion.
                  Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                    Just puttin' it out in the universe that ND better win tonight, lest we watch a promising first half slip into oblivion.
                    Sigh.

Comment

So the SBT article claims that 4 games do not a trend make. How about 6?

Since the turn of the calendar, this is the trend: 1.67 GF/game. 2.83 GA/game (I'm not counting the ENG's otherwise that number would be north of 3). Scoring first in 4 of the 6 games but winning only one those. 8% on the PP. Giving up a goal in the first 2 minutes of the game twice. Giving up a goal within 40 seconds after scoring twice. Giving up 2 goals within a span of 80 seconds three times.

Some of these stats are literally the opposite of the first half of the season.

As a paying customer, one who, unlike the students, does not need to be bribed to attend games, and who will return year after year ad infinitum, I demand better of the product on the ice. Dare I say, I deserve better for my money.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
                        Calm down.

P.S. You were the one wetting your pants after the first three weekends even though we were 4-2 and had won the IceBreaker Tournament. Then we won all but one of our next ten games, where the only game we lost should have ended up a tie. JJ just has to get everyone back on the same page, no need for hystrionics.
                        Actually, we were 5-1 after three weekends. And while all wins are nice, none of them were over teams that would be included in the tournament should it start today, so not really a murderer's row.

Do you need to be reminded that last season as the Irish fell further and further out of contention you were the one railing against Jackson for continuing to start Mike Johnson and also had given up on the season before it was over? Pot, meet kettle, I guess. And the last time I checked, I haven't said anything is over. I said some things are worrisome.

Worrisome like losing despite scoring first, something that we've now done 3 games in a row after going 13-0 when lighting the lamp first. Like goaltending, which was the strongest area of this team by the time we were 14-4, but has now become mediocre at best. Johnson can not be counted on and Summerhays has become a nightmare of fundamental back-sliding. His glove hand looks slow, he's out of position frequently, his rebound control has gone to hell, and he's lost his cool quite visibly lately with alarming regularity. Like special teams. 1 for 18 on the PP while the other guys have scored 4 in the last 4 games. I know people are hurt, and this is as close as the team can come to having a legitimate excuse for the struggles, but to a great extent, special teams play can be impacted by doing fundamental things properly. 5-5 and 4-4 can be impacted to a much greater extent by your talent level, but special teams can rely on some very basic principles. Principles like puck support, positioning, hard work to establish net front presence and shooting the puck. Fundamentals disappear from this team with stunning regularity once things get tough. It's why they lost last year and why they have begun another tailspin this year.

We went from first place in the CCHA by a full game with 2-3 games in hand on the entire league to tied with games in hand on neither of the two teams we could have buried had we continued to play well. We were 3rd in the PWR after beating BG in December and now we are 10th. One more bad weekend and we will be on the outside looking in. Those are all facts. Not speculation. Not histrionics. Facts.

Jackson has his shiny new barn and a team full of NHL draft picks (12, three times as many as the teams we are on a four-game losing streak to COMBINED) to work with. Yet we get outworked and outcoached repeatedly, especially in our own building. Our players and coaches all say the right things about the arena that they've been blessed to play in, and that arena was one very big and expensive reason for rostering more NHL picks than any other team in the league. Yet after christening it with a 5-0 start we are only 14-12 since. This program played in two Frozen Fours while calling the Joyce Center home. They played for a title with a team with half as many NHL prospects as this one, and got to the final game while missing their best player. In retrospect, when I said the teams from 2007-09 would mop the floor with this one, I was probably darning them with faint praise.

I want to see this team fix some problems for a change instead of letting them define yet another season. I've said it many times, talent is a heavy burden to carry. This team has yet to show it can shoulder the load.

Comment

IHF u seem to follow this team very closely, has 26 and 17 been part of the PK at any part of the season so far up until last nite.Also I know they were short in that area but to keep them out after the first goal seemed perplexing.

Comment

IHF u seem to follow this team very closely, has 26 and 17 been part of the PK at any part of the season so far up until last nite.Also I know they were short in that area but to keep them out after the first goal seemed perplexing.
                            Jackson has utilized at one point or another most of the forwards on the team on the PK, including Fogarty and Larson. Lucia, Schneider and Nugent don't tend to see a lot of PK time as part of a normal unit.

Comment

I said it last year and I'll say it again. I miss the Joyce Center. The place was a dump but the focus in that building was on one thing and one thing only, hockey. I sat there last night thinking ND is great at manipulating psychological conditions to control the crowd. What's funny is most of us don't even realize it. As soon as there is a controversial call or play the arena management goes instantly to dance cam, kiss cam or fan of the game. It immediately gets the crowd' s attention off hockey and on stupid stuff.

Also the seats on the north side of the arena are unusually small. That means once you are wedged in you can't get up (point granted that I could stand to lose a few lbs). There is a guy behind me that used to be one of the "back row loudmouths" at the Joyce. I think the only time he stands up anymore are for National Anthem and salute the vet. Speaking of that, sure it makes ND feel all warm and fuzzy ( words not usually associated with hockey) and patriotic but it takes the focus AWAY from the ice again.

Lastly and I'll get the rant out of my system, I used to enjoy talking hockey with the folks around me. Now we are constantly bombarded with artificial, fake (can we use that word in an ND thread) piped in noise in the form of music that I can't talk with the guy next to me. He is a great hockey guy to talk with and a yeller but he is so wedged in his seat I feel bad going to the restroom during the intermission.

So there is your fan experience at Compton. You're no longer going just to watch and cheer for a hockey team. It has become a fake entertainment experience. Maybe next rant we can talk about how the building affects the on ice action.
                              Last edited by ND1; 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

You're preachin' to the choir ND1.

Please e-mail Darin Ottaviani (Darin.J.Ottaviani.1@nd.edu) to complain about the noise. I have done so and the more people who do...who knows? They may even listen to us.

Comment

Working...
                                X