Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by ND1 View Post
    Here is the link for a great story on a great guy, Joe Rogers.
    Stories like this make you feel good to be a Notre Dame hockey fan, don't they?

Comment

Mario Lucia's puckhandling skills, with body parts, is sick. Bryan Rust with another game-winner. Come from behind victory. 66% on the PP. And Shayne Taker's goal was sicker than Lucia's puckhandling skills. All-in-all a nice way to go into Xmas break for the team. And for the fans.

Though I gotta ask: W.T.F. was up with BG's craptastic parking issues (something I've never experienced there before)?! I missed the first 13 minutes of the game and I was within spitting distance of the rink 15 minutes before puck drop.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Just a few mid-season stats to make your Christmas merrier:

In the CCHA, Notre Dame is first in total goals scored, first in goals/game and first in goals against/game.

They are 2nd in PP and PK behind WMU in both categories; however, they are first in special teams net (which takes into consideration all scoring for/against during special teams play). They are also the 2nd-least penalized team in the league (again, behind WMU).

They have not allowed a short-handed goal overall, but have scored 3 of their own. They are +102 as a team.

Robbie Russo and Steven Summerhays are the only 2 players (oddly enough) in the top 10 nationally in any category. Russo is tenth in the country in points/game by a Dman while Summerhays is fifth in GA and 10th in save %.

Notre Dame is 13th in the nation in GF and 2nd in GA. They are 25th in PP % and 6th in PK.

I was also looking at the stats "ante Mario" and "post Mario" and realized how fitting is the Latin saying: post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Ante Mario, Notre Dame was 6-3-0 and averaged 2.67 goals/game while giving up 1.78 goals/game. Their PP was a measly 11.6% while their PK was a solid 89.2%.

Post Mario, ND is 8-1-0 and has averaged 3.78 goals/game while giving up 1.44 goals/game. Their PP is 25% with Lucia in the line up while their PK is even better at 90.1%.

He may not be the cause, but there is a relation.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Anybody with access to FSN broadcasts can see another Golden Dome high end recruit tomorrow night. FSN will carry the Edina vs Grand Rapids game with Connor Hurley playing for the Hornets. Grant Bischoff may play for GR, he's a Gopher recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            Just a few mid-season stats to make your Christmas merrier:

In the CCHA, Notre Dame is first in total goals scored, first in goals/game and first in goals against/game.

They are 2nd in PP and PK behind WMU in both categories; however, they are first in special teams net (which takes into consideration all scoring for/against during special teams play). They are also the 2nd-least penalized team in the league (again, behind WMU).

They have not allowed a short-handed goal overall, but have scored 3 of their own. They are +102 as a team.

Robbie Russo and Steven Summerhays are the only 2 players (oddly enough) in the top 10 nationally in any category. Russo is tenth in the country in points/game by a Dman while Summerhays is fifth in GA and 10th in save %.

Notre Dame is 13th in the nation in GF and 2nd in GA. They are 25th in PP % and 6th in PK.

I was also looking at the stats "ante Mario" and "post Mario" and realized how fitting is the Latin saying: post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Ante Mario, Notre Dame was 6-3-0 and averaged 2.67 goals/game while giving up 1.78 goals/game. Their PP was a measly 11.6% while their PK was a solid 89.2%.

Post Mario, ND is 8-1-0 and has averaged 3.78 goals/game while giving up 1.44 goals/game. Their PP is 25% with Lucia in the line up while their PK is even better at 90.1%.

He may not be the cause, but there is a relation.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

This team has great karma right now with all four lines contributing, and truly balanced scoring. Goaltending has been exceptional and more importantly consistently solid night after night.
            BTW. Anders Lee 11 goals leads the CCHA in goals with 11 and tied for 2nd Nationally.

Merry Christmas Irish fans!

Comment

People can say whatever they want but the fact is, Notre Dame's admission standards and academic requirements eliminate a good number of potential athletes before they even get an official visit. That alone makes me respect Mike Brey more than Jim Calhoun or Brian Kelly more than Nick Saban. The hockey team by the way has earned a 100% APR rating more than once. (hockey is a shining star at many schools, with quite a few scoring a perfect 1000 numerous times)

Notre Dame is certainly not the only school that graduates their players, and a high quality education is available to student-athletes at many institutions. But no one is consistently doing it better than Notre Dame does. There is a reason Notre Dame is the first school ranked number one in the GSR to play for a BCS title. A short look at some of the philosophy behind graduating your athletes:

Comment

Congrats to Mario Lucia on being named to the Team USA WJC roster. He put in some hard work this year to come back from injury and make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by StillaLeafsFan View Post
                  Congrats to Mario Lucia on being named to the Team USA WJC roster. He put in some hard work this year to come back from injury and make it happen.
                  That's great news. I wish him the best.

Comment

Nice article on Mario Lucia. Homer alert: why is he not on the PP for Team USA? Why is he getting (not even) 4th line time? He took 7 shifts today for a total TOI of about 6 minutes. What's the point of loaning one of our best guys to Team USA to play just a few minutes a game on the other side of the planet, only to come home and be discombobulated for the Minnesota game and likely the MSU weekend?

Comment

As I have been complaining about Mario Lucia going to the other side of the globe only to be a grocery store checkout line divider, my brother asked me, "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at med school? Doctor." Lucia was the 13th forward...but he won a gold medal, which is all that matters, so congrats to him!

So in a 4-day span, we have some biggies: Gold, an end to the lockout, the NC game in FB (and the only reason I give a hoot is because of Notre Dame) and ND at Minny (which will be televised on several channels).

ND and Minnesota are pretty similar (with the exception of Erik Haula), so this ought to be a good, competitive game. ND is averaging 1.61 goals/game to the good (3.22 GF - 1.61 GA) while Minnesota averages 1.79 in the positive. ND's special teams' total is 108.1 while Minnesota's total is 113.3. Without Haula, Minnesota's top scorer is Nick Bjugstad with 19 points. ND's top guy is Anders Lee with 17 points. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bryan Rust and Jeff Costello are gonna have big games for ND, while Travis Boyd and Nate Condon (the younger, and more talented brother of Nick Condon) will show big for the Gophers on Tuesday. I don't expect much from Lucia or Mike Reilly as they will be so jet-lagged and waited down with bling that they may not know which way is up.

Steven Summerhays and Adam Wilcox have some great numbers, but where Minnesota has the slight advantage in offense, Summerhays edges out Wilcox in net with a higher save % and lower GA. Like I said, "Good competitive game."

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds.
                      Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

A lot of stuff we already know, but a nice read nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                          I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bryan Rust and Jeff Costello are gonna have big games for ND, while Travis Boyd and Nate Condon (the younger, and more talented brother of Nick Condon) will show big for the Gophers on Tuesday.
                          Boy, did I call that correctly...unfortunately the Minnesota side of things were a tad better. Condon had a goal and an assist and Boyd assisted on the game-winner. Costello did score for us on an assist from Rust (who also had a breakaway, but came up short because he was looking down on the goalie's mask when he shot--i.e. he was in too close), but I figured the game was already lost when we went down 2-0.

So we went .500 against WCHA teams and .500 against HE teams. While beating UNO and splitting with NoDak look pretty good in the PWR, If we could have beaten one of the 2 #1's we played, I'd feel more confident about the rest of the season. I realize rust played a factor in the game, but so did ill-timed/bad penalties, too few shots and an impotent PP. Hopefully my (likely) last trip ever to Munn this weekend will see the team liberally spraying the Rustoleum.

Sometimes losing is the best way to learn how to win...

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.;5592353Sometimes losing is the best way to learn how to win...[/QUOTE]

But never the opposite...
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Normally I am a glass-half-empty kinda person, with occasional forays into the glass-lying-shattered-on-the-floor mindset. I am never a glass-half-full person. Why do I bring that up? Well, Notre Dame lost last night, and in looking at their stats compared to Michigan State, not a whole lot separates us, the top team in the league, from them, the 9th place team. Both teams' top scorers have 18 points each. They have 4 players in double digits in scoring. And while we have more, we only have 2 more in double digits. Their top goalie has a slightly better save % (.938) than our top goalie (.934). And while our goalie has a better GA (1.62), their guy is still awesome (1.93). Their special teams total 103. Ours isn't markedly different at 108.

Here are the only 2 areas of noticeable difference: 1.) Our special teams have registered 18 goals (15 PP and 3 shorties) to our opponents' 7. State's special teams have scored 13 times (no shorties) to their opponents' 14 tallies. And 2.) Our goal differential is +1.37. MSU's is -0.85.

Last season we played Minnesota and dominated them, but then pooped the bed the rest of the season. This season Minnesota dominated us. I hope the rest of the season is also the opposite of last year's second half.

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.

Comment

Found this in the game thread and thought it belonged here as well. Good job out of your boys to help out while here!

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1...-others-off-it
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X