Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Oddly enough, this team is consistent in its inconsistency. At least at home...

Well, they have 2 more home weekends before Xmas break to sort out whether they are naughty. Or nice.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Did anybody see this?

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...bbies-costume/

Red Wings Prospect Caught Drunk In Teletubbies Costume
      Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

This showed up on NDNation a month ago. Most of us here prefer the schadenfreude of other teams...

Also, if you weren't at the Q & A last night, you missed one of the best lines I've heard Coach Jackson utter. It was edited out of the video of the talk that und.com has up. If you noticed that Stephen Johns sat the remainder of the 2nd period Saturday night after his penalty gaffe, you can get the gist of the line...

edit part II: What?! No discussion about Coach Jackson's fine from the league for "derogatory" remarks...
        Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          edit part II: What?! No discussion about Coach Jackson's fine from the league for "derogatory" remarks...
          Although heated and upset, and I might say 100% correct about the blown call, Coach Jackson did not say anything terrible. However, from a league perspective, if he is given a pass, this will open the door for other coaches to walk that fine line. I just hope that as Coach Jackson was fined, the ref who's name begins with an "S" gets suspended for as many games as what Coach Jackson was fined. For example, if Coach Jackson was fined $1,000.00, and "S" gets $500.00 a game, I hope he is suspended for 2 games since he clearly blew the call.

You might think that is unreasonable and mistakes are made, which I agree with. However, this was a loss to a full time head coach who is judged by wins and losses, compared to a ref who probably has a full time job and does this part time.
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            This showed up on NDNation a month ago. Most of us here prefer the schadenfreude of other teams...
            Understood. If you want some schadenfreude for Michigan, you can come over there. We have plenty right now...
            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Does this kind of behavior have anything to do with why he's no longer at Notre Dame?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...teletubby-garb

Teletubby costume? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Does this kind of behavior have anything to do with why he's no longer at Notre Dame?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...teletubby-garb

Teletubby costume? LOL
                Not at all. He left in good standing and would have been welcome for his senior season. Hopefully he gets the help he needs, or this could turn into another in the long line of young athletes who cannot handle a little extra cash and a lot of unsupervised time with tragic consequences.

As for the Jackson issue, what can you say? Well, apparently you can't say anything. Which is ridiculous, based on his comments. He didn't question the state of officiating in the league, and he didn't question the integrity of the official, he simply said one call was awful and wrong. I understand the league's point of view and figure the fine and reprimand are better than a suspension, which would have been an unbelievable overreaction on the part of the CCHA. I have heard many coaches say worse things and I get the feeling that since this is the last year of the league and many of these coaches won't be seeing most of these officials much in the near future the CCHA wants to make sure it isn't open season on the officials.

Comment

I once read that some men resent praise because it assigns a limit to their abilities. So I'm going to hold off praising my team for the time being because this better not be the limit. And if I compare them to their upcoming opponent, there's not much other than goaltending and team defense that separates the two sides nor easily lends itself to praise.

Those two stats alone though might explain why Lake Superior State is just .500, while Notre Dame is .692. Kevin Kapalka (who has recently come back from injury) has a save % of .894 and a GA of 3.23 (numbers that surely will improve) while Steven Summerhays has a .935 save % and a GA of 1.59. The Lakers give up more than two-and-a-half goals/game, while ND gives up much less than two goals/game. Their PK is struggling at 80.7% while ND's 90.2% looks pretty solid.

Other than that, these teams are interchangeable. We have a player who has scored more goals than their leading goal scorer. They've scored more PPG's than we have. We've scored more goals overall. They have more players in double digits. Every other stat is virtually equal: shots/game, shot %, number of players on the roster with points, number of players with at least half-a-point/game, neither team has played an OT game yet, and so on.

ND has 5 more games (this weekend's games being the last Movember fund-raiser game and the teddy bear toss game) before the first half of the season comes to a close. Will they be praise-worthy endeavors? The inimitable John Wooden once said, "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability."

Comment

How committed the Lakers are to playing defense on a given night has usually dictated the type of game it is going to be, we have allowed 36 goals in 14 games this season but 21 of those 36 have come in 4 contests...in the remaining 10 games we've allowed just 15 goals, and it's not just a case of getting beat badly by a clearly superior team or not being able to handle the other teams offensive attack in those 4 bad games either, as we have not only split every series this season but have kept every opponent to 2 goals or less in at least one game.....

This is a hard team to figure out; as you mentioned, Kapalka has played in 6 games (he left one with an injury) with a below average GAA of 3.23 and save pct of .894 and his record is 3-2......Kevin Murdock has played in 9 games, has a GAA of 2.06 and a .936 save pct., great numbers right? He has a losing record at 4-5 lol. All things considered you will be our toughest test of the season thus far, so I am interested to see how we stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                      ...we have not only split every series this season but have kept every opponent to 2 goals or less in at least one game.....
                      ...so I am interested to see how we stack up.
                      Greeeaaat. You may want to pencil in another split as that is all ND has been capable of at home. We've lost the first night and come back strong the 2nd. God I hope that trend ends soon. No offense...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                        Greeeaaat. You may want to pencil in another split as that is all ND has been capable of at home. We've lost the first night and come back strong the 2nd. God I hope that trend ends soon. No offense...
                        Well we are perfect dancing partners then, as we are 5-2 on Fridays and 2-5 on Saturdays lol sounds like a date!

Comment

Didja notice? Didja notice? Gold jerseys on the first night of a series at home...and they won!

Didja notice? Didja notice? Anders Lee keeping the dreaded drought at bay!

Didja notice? Didja notice? Mario Lucia on the top line...and he scored a PPG!

Didja notice? Didja notice? Mike Voran on the top line...and he scored the GWG...also a PPG!

I'm guessing Mike Johnson is between the pipes tomorrow because Steven Summerhays had a mighty off night, yet managed the win. I like a team that can pull out a win even when the goalie poops the crease.

Here's to the first opportunity this season to avoid a home split...

Comment

That was a good weekend of Notre Dame hockey. They held on for a tough win last night, withstanding a good counter punch or two from LSSU in the process, then totally dominated tonight in a game that was over with 5 minutes still left in the first. Hopefully Mike Johnson did not suffer too severe an injury while picking up his second win. Both goalies played well tonight. The team weathered the hard portion of the first half and now gets a chance to play teams that are not quite as loaded. This is exactly what you are supposed to do in those games.

Oh, and that Lucia kid? He's pretty good.

Comment

Finally. A sweep at home. In decisive fashion.

10 guys found their way onto the scoresheet, with Shayne Taker, Bryan Rust, Mario Lucia, Jeff Costello and T.J. Tynan turning in multi-point games.

Those among my posse had discussed the effects of shaving on Stephen Johns because we had determined that moustachioed Johns was not the same player as clean-shaven Johns, and, sure enough, he shaved and ripped a PPG past the Laker netminder for his first goal of the season. Apparently, he's the anti-Samson.

Particular kudos also go out to Costello for having a fantastic game tonight. His hard work battling along the boards and racing to loose pucks led to 2 goals. Kudos also to the PP units for registering 2 more special team goals. Goalie kudos go to Mike Johnson for some nice saves and taking one for the team when he finally got a second start.

And an Irish kudos go to the Leprechaun for bringing down the lynched teddy bear with a puck.

Am I being greedy if I ask for another home sweep next weekend?

Comment

We're starting to look like a team whose confidence matches the level of talent. Combine that with a championship level of effort and I like our chances.

Mario Lucia getting his legs about him looks like it has made a world of difference. It's solidified the depth of the team even further, and Notre Dame has been a deep team for a long time now. I like how all four lines have taken care of the puck we look like we can get at least some scoring from any one of them.

Kudos to the coaching staff as well in making a couple of changes to the lines and special team units. Our power play is slowly looking better in that both units are getting good forechecks going, possessing the puck and spending a lot of time in front of the other goalie, AND the Irish have moved up 20 spots in the national rankings in the last couple of weeks. Almost as much as scoring, good hard work on the power play helps wear down the other guys and is one reason a Jackson team is often light years ahead of the competition in the final period of games. We've outscored the opposition 3-1 in the third periods so far and in CCHA play it's by a 5-1 margin.

There's still plenty of time for this thing to go off the rails (just like last year) so hopefully this team learns lessons as well as they're possessing the puck right now. Going forward leadership will tell the tale of the tape.

Comment

Working...
                                X