Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    As pointed out on NDN, the key to ND sweeping Michigan at Yost appears to be having a Lucia on the team. Don in 1978, son Mario in 2012.

Or a Nugent. Kevin in 1978 and son Kevin in 2012. And taking the theme a little further, a Larson, Les in 1973 and Nick in 2012. The 1973 sweep wasn't at Yost, though. Michigan was still playing at the old Michigan Coliseum.

Comment

While I'm grateful for any coverage Notre Dame gives to its hockey team and players, an article written by a fellow student in the school paper should not open with 2 glaring errors.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

You are getting UND when you want to get them. Before xmas. This Sioux fan would be happy with a split. Good luck to your squad this coming weekend.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          You are getting UND when you want to get them. Before xmas. This Sioux fan would be happy with a split. Good luck to your squad this coming weekend.
          And you guys are getting Notre Dame WHERE you want to get them. On the young season so far we're 6-1 away from home, but only 2-2 at the CFIA. Based on what's happened so far this season a split -- with the Sioux winning Friday -- wouldn't be hard to fathom.

Comment

IHF likely isn't too far off with that prediction. When you add ND's home splits (losses on the first nights, wins on the 2nd) to NoDak's tendency to win the first night of a series and lose/tie the 2nd, I'd say that equals a split.

However, on paper, Notre Dame looks like they should win both. While ND has only one guy with 100 career points on the roster and NoDak has 2 players, their 2 are seniors. Our guy has a season and a half to surpass their greatness. NoDak has 16 players who've registered a point. ND has 20. ND's PK is 5th in the nation. NoDak's is 23rd. Notre Dame is 2nd in the country in D, while North Dakota is 19th. Our goalie is 4th in all of D1 in GA, their goalie is 25th. The Irish are 7-0 when they score first. The _____ are 3-3 when they score 1st.

Here's what worries me though: North Dakota is 2-0-2 when they don't score first. Notre Dame is 1-3. The 2nd period is by far NoDak's best offensive period. The 2nd period is by far Notre Dame's worst defensive period. North Dakota has the 15th best offense in the country, while ND has the 30th best.

North Dakota is also a very physical team, so even if their physicality turns into a few penalties, our PP is feeble enough that we likely won't get the boost from those encounters unless Mario Lucia really is a special team stud.

So I'm gonna call out Anders Lee to not have a repeat of last season and start chipping away at those last 13 so he can join T.J. Tynan in the century club. I'm gonna call out the PP units to get traffic in front of the net and put some shots up. I'm gonna call out Nick Larson to not take an ill-timed penalty. And I'm gonna call out the entire team to seize the opportunity to beat a quality opponent (quality meaning one with a history and a winning record so far).

And I wonder if both teams might start their backup goalies on Saturday.

Carpe diem boys. Carpe.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I just thought you guys may be interested to know that Notre Dame was voted College Hockey Weekly's Team of the Week for Week 6...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...-the-Week.html
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                IHF likely isn't too far off with that prediction. When you add ND's home splits (losses on the first nights, wins on the 2nd) to NoDak's tendency to win the first night of a series and lose/tie the 2nd, I'd say that equals a split.

However, on paper, Notre Dame looks like they should win both. While ND has only one guy with 100 career points on the roster and NoDak has 2 players, their 2 are seniors. Our guy has a season and a half to surpass their greatness. NoDak has 16 players who've registered a point. ND has 20. ND's PK is 5th in the nation. NoDak's is 23rd. Notre Dame is 2nd in the country in D, while North Dakota is 19th. Our goalie is 4th in all of D1 in GA, their goalie is 25th. The Irish are 7-0 when they score first. The _____ are 3-3 when they score 1st.

Here's what worries me though: North Dakota is 2-0-2 when they don't score first. Notre Dame is 1-3. The 2nd period is by far NoDak's best offensive period. The 2nd period is by far Notre Dame's worst defensive period. North Dakota has the 15th best offense in the country, while ND has the 30th best.

North Dakota is also a very physical team, so even if their physicality turns into a few penalties, our PP is feeble enough that we likely won't get the boost from those encounters unless Mario Lucia really is a special team stud.

So I'm gonna call out Anders Lee to not have a repeat of last season and start chipping away at those last 13 so he can join T.J. Tynan in the century club. I'm gonna call out the PP units to get traffic in front of the net and put some shots up. I'm gonna call out Nick Larson to not take an ill-timed penalty. And I'm gonna call out the entire team to seize the opportunity to beat a quality opponent (quality meaning one with a history and a winning record so far).

And I wonder if both teams might start their backup goalies on Saturday.

Carpe diem boys. Carpe.
                While I think Notre Dame is playing better hockey right now and should rightly be the favorite, stats at this point in the season are pretty much pointless. Also, FWIW, North Dakota won last Saturday...following a draw on Friday.

Also, North Dakota will likely rotate goalies this weekend (as you mentioned). That being said, no idea as to whether Saunders or Gothberg will get the start on Friday, but whoever doesn't start Friday will likely start Saturday. I'm not sure which goalie you would call our "backup" or "starter" at this point in the season, but if you wind up following North Dakota after this series, my guess is that Gothberg will start to get more starts as the season goes on.

Anyway, I'm sure this will be an exciting series and should serve as a good measuring stick for both sides. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and some great hockey is played.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I think this is North Dakota's first trip to South Bend since I was in college.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I think this is North Dakota's first trip to South Bend since I was in college.
                    We need a reference point to judge whether or not you're old.

I believe 1981 was the last visit. The campus has changed a bit since then.

Comment

Can anyone tell me about available webcast options please and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=92206

Beat SC
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Notre Dame streams all home games for free at und.com.

Comment

I think I speak for all Notre Dame hockey fans when I say, "I am so friggin' sick of losing at home! Where the hell is this home ice advantage I keep hearing about? Isn't my team the team that plays here, practices here, works out here? Why is it the teams who visit come in and allow one goal and leave South Bend with at least one victory? 14-10-0 in the not-so-new-anymore digs blows. Maybe next weekend, the team should stay across the road at the Fairfield and pretend they are the visiting team."

Is that it? Did I cover everything? Anyone else care to add to that?

Comment

I would like to hear the Irish fan's feelings on the quick whistle that lead to the no-goal that would have tied it up... I thought with the puck completely out of sight under Saunders and most players giving up on the play it was right to whistle it dead. If you would have listened to Notre Dame's announcers you would have thought it was the worst call ever in college hockey. They didn't seem to have any problems with the two no-calls on bad hits on our d-man Simpson...

Comment

I would like to hear the Irish fan's feelings on the quick whistle that lead to the no-goal that would have tied it up... I thought with the puck completely out of sight under Saunders and most players giving up on the play it was right to whistle it dead. If you would have listened to Notre Dame's announcers you would have thought it was the worst call ever in college hockey. They didn't seem to have any problems with the two no-calls on bad hits on our d-man Simpson...
                                yeah, it's obvious from this post that YOU'RE not an unbiased observer. I don't comment on officiating when Notre Dame loses. How about just be happy with the win, the fact that our team is the only one that streams all home games for free so you can see your team screwed egregiously even in a win and that strikes and lockouts don't happen at this level.

Comment

Working...
                                X