Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

Other than that, I'm happy about shutting down BC's stellar PP with our solid PK. Other than that...not much else to be happy about.
    they did an excellent job with that. That being said, if BC had taken advantage of 4-5 great looks in the first two periods it wouldnt have been that close but it was and ND had some great chances to tie it up in the third. Where were all the ND fans?

Comment

Okay, I'm gonna b.i.t.c.h in a moment, so look away if you don't feel like reading it.
      Welcome to the b.i.t.c.h.fest that is Hockey East.
      Buffoon Detector

Comment

We have to shake this off and play well against Michigan now. In the scheme of things the BC game doesn't matter because it's non-conference, obviously Michigan is a bigtime conference test. A solid 4 or 5 point weekend (6 points would be even better) would position us well going into the middle part of our schedule where things won't be as tough. For some reason, unlike last year, i'm not really sweating the non-conference stuff. I want to win the CCHA this year more than anything though.

Thursday night, let's go!

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          Where were all the ND fans?
          The story we heard was all the available tickets were offered to BC season ticket holders, blocking both ND fans and some BC alums from having access to seats except in the secondary ticket market. While the game was considered a sellout it was quite empty at the beginning and even later in the game there were hundreds and hundreds of empty seats.

BC looked as good as I expected them to. Quick, smart and disciplined. They refused to let Notre Dame dictate the tempo. I was disappointed that the Irish did not have success in areas I thought they could potentially excel in, like along the boards and corners. We did not seem to take advantage at all in our size. 2 very stupid penalties did not help in the effort either, but with a power play as woefully ineffective as ours, how much did that really matter?

Our special teams are going to haunt us all season long I fear. Only two CCHA teams have taken more penalties than us, and only 2 have scored fewer power play goals. I don't want to live in the special team neighborhoods with the likes of Miami and Bowling Green.

Next week is strength against strength and weakness against weakness. Michigan is struggling a bit along the blueline and in net with some inexperience. Can Lee or Tynan FINALLY score a power play goal? Can Tynan finally register another point? He's been invisible for a while now. And then it's their top ranked offense (as far as among the CCHA teams) going against our top ranked defense. Can we slow them down enough? Can Summerhays keep playing as solidly as he has been? Is there ANY chance this team can sweep UM for the first time at Yost since the 1970s? That was so long ago my daughter outranked me...

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
            ...Where were all the ND fans?
            Still unaware that ND has a hockey team (at least the fans outside of South Bend).

Originally posted by Redhead
            Welcome to the b.i.t.c.h.fest that is Hockey East.
            I've heard horror stories, but I will fit in well. At least if the griping is about one's own team or the officiating!

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27
            In the scheme of things the BC game doesn't matter because it's non-conference...
            But it does matter. I don't want ND's season to end in early March. I don't want to have to rely on winning 2 in Detroit to make the NCAA's. I want to play beyond early March, and beating a team like BC would have done much for our PWR. Our PWR is taking a hit with some of our victories already because Maine, well, just sucks and UMD ain't that grand either. That could still change (I don't think UMD will continue to be less-than-average), but the boys need to make hay while the sun shines.

On a brighter note, Mario Lucia may play one of the games at Yost. Granted, he won't be very effective for several weeks (unless he's studlier than I think), but it will be nice to see what he could bring to the team once his leg gets stronger.
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Still unaware that ND has a hockey team (at least the fans outside of South Bend).
              hmmm, ND has been good for a while now so i am not sure if the move to HE will bring more around?? oh, and the late arriving crowd? unfortunately, we are famous for that and the empty red seats in the lower bowl? dont get me started, some of our alumni season ticket holders come dressed as empty seats. There was huge demand for these tickets and BC stopped selling them on the BC web site a while ago. I just thought that with thge number of you coming to see the football game that more would have found a way to get tickets knowing money is no object

Comment

So Michigan is really struggling this year. How do you see the upcoming Thursday/Friday series going? Who should we watch for?
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH
                  How do you see the upcoming Thursday/Friday series going? Who should we watch for?
                  Well don't watch for anyone on our PP units, that's for dang sure...

ND is one of only 13 teams in the early going that has swept a league opponent. Five of those have 2 league sweeps thus far. Princeton is the only team that has yet to play a league opponent twice. I would kill to have ND join the five with a 2nd league sweep. I would kill to have their PP flip the switch. I would kill for T.J. Tynan to finally get off the number 99.

If you look at the players for Michigan and Notre Dame who've played several games this season, Michigan (like BC) has many who have at least a point/game. Four to be exact, led by A.J. Treais who has 13 points. ND has one (still) who has at least a point/game. Anders Lee with 9 points so far.

ND and Michigan seem to be two Jekyll and Hydes so far. They look great for a game. They look less than stellar for a game. Special teams are all over the map too. Michigan's PP is 16th in the country at 20.9%. ND's PP is 46th at 11.6%. ND's PK is 7th in the nation at 89.2% while Michigan's PK is 35th in the country at 81.1%. Great challenges and opportunities abound for special teams this coming series.

For the first time in 1000 years, Michigan has some serious question marks in net. Two freshmen have split time in goal. Steve Racine (whom I expect to start Thursday, if not both nights) has a GA of 2.86, ranking him 49th in the country. Michigan's other goalie, Jared Rutledge has a GA of 4.46. For the first time in a while, ND doesn't really have a question mark in net. Steven Summerhays is 8th in the country with a GA of 1.64.

ND's offense is 34th of all D1 teams, averaging 2.67 G/game. Michigan's offense is 2nd, averaging 4.22 G/game. ND's defense is 3rd at 1.78 G/game, while Michigan gives up 3.56 G/game, putting them 51st. That means there are only 8 teams that give up more goals/game in all of D1. If Tynan can't register #100 and our PP can't pot a few this weekend, I'll scream. Loudly. I'll cry. Unabashedly. I'll throw things. Violently.

If my records are correct, the last time ND went to Yost and swept Michigan, I was a kid enjoying the blizzard of '78. As an adult, I don't necessarily want a blizzard of that notoriety, but I sure would like a sweep.

Miguel de Cervantes said it best, "Let us make hay while the sun shines."

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

This Movember attempt brings to mind Ben Ryan and his glorious playoff beard. But, Joe Rogers gets the cool nod for his Milwaukee's Best trucker hat. Awesome!

*****http://static.movember.com/uploads/2011/profiles/a61/f4a/a61f4a04bf149e5850d7395498e51df0-509b0b8869c80.jpg******

Comment

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Mario Lucia to play vs. Michigan! Yeehaw!!!

Comment

I worried after Michigan scored on quite possibly the worst turnover in the history of hockey. We hadn't won a game yet when giving up the first goal. Then...

A shortie, Tynan finally (FINALLY) getting number 100, great PK against another formidable power play, great forechecking--especially (ESPECIALLY) in the 3rd period, Voran finally being rewarded, another (ANOTHER) GWG for Rust, Schneider continuing to progress, Lucia dressed and Summerhays with a save % of .960 for the game.

That's a lot to be thankful for. Let's see if my gratitude can continue tomorrow night.

Comment

One of the very good things during this series was how Notre Dame completely clamped down on Michigan both nights as soon as they took a 3rd period lead. Other than a couple of icing infractions, once the Irish were in the lead in the third periods there were no ND zone faceoffs, and Michigan never really got a forecheck going. Another good thing is holding a Michigan team that was scoring nearly 4 goals a game to just 2 on the weekend. Of course the great thing is the first sweep at Yost in 34 years.

Comment

My gratitude runneth over.

Holy crap. A sweep at Yost. A PPG. Rust in on the game-winner (again). Mario Lucia with the insurance goal after not looking too strong last night. (apparently ND needs a Lucia on the roster to win 2 in Ann Arbor ) Russo redeeming his horrendous gaffe from last night. Twice. Summerhays with another stellar night. The PK perfect again.

Yep. I'm satisfied. But I've been wondering... Since the last time ND swept at Yost was during the cleanup of the Blizzard of '78, will weather history repeat?

Comment

Big to get the sweep in their barn. Post turkey at Compton--should be a pair of serious battles. Go get those ********!
                              Go Pioneers!

Comment

As pointed out on NDN, the key to ND sweeping Michigan at Yost appears to be having a Lucia on the team. Don in 1978, son Mario in 2012.
                                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
                                X