Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

That's because Notre Dame has football on the brain now that Brian Kelly has figured things out...

As for that hockey game: Sloppy. Very sloppy. Both teams. I have to say this was probably the worst game I've seen Anders Lee, Sam Calabrese and Kevin Lind play. Thankfully, it's nice and early and there's still plenty of time to scrape the rust off. And thank goodness Steven Summerhays played quite well. That save (the one that was akin to the diving stick save he made against MSU last season) was magnificent. Thinking about the fact that Coach Jackson said he will give Mike Johnson one of the starts in these first 4 OOC games has me in a near-panic. W. T. F?! While one goal did it tonight, with Johnson in net, one goal will not do it.

Again, I continue to be thoroughly impressed by Thomas DiPauli. I see some good chemistry on the Tynan-Rust-DiPauli line. They had some good speed and good chances tonight. They just couldn't quite get it done. Well, except for the goal, which eventually went in off some Maine defender after a few whacks at the puck.

We did meet some very friendly KC locals who came out for some hockey, gave good BBQ advice and talked ND with us. Then we had the pleasure of talking with an awesome Maine fan for the entire second game. Very entertaining and loved talking college hockey with us. Then of course there was the sighting of, the meeting of, the talking with and the picture taking with Ken Morrow. Yes, that Ken Morrow. Mr. JJfP said that made the weekend.

If ND wins their game tomorrow, that will finally make the weekend. Tall order given how physical and quick UNO was. Here's to starting the season with 2 wins. Do you realize it has been 10 years...TEN YEARS...since ND started the season without a loss in their first 2 games?
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

What became a worrisome trend last year at times was evident last night, the inability to put the puck in the net regardless of how they dominated game flow. Too many shots off target, too many shots blocked, too many low percentage shots right into Sullivan's chest protector. For half a season we saw that the team did not need to rely on getting one ugly goal a game to win. This team has the skilled players to score goals. It might sound a bit impatient, but hopefully it shows up quickly, and sticks around for a full season.

It's especially frustrating considering how well they played the game defensively. Summerhays looked better than solid, the team forced turnovers and backchecked very well, and they held what was one of last season's better offensive teams off the scoreboard. Much like their classmates a few hundred yards to the north, maybe this team will win with great defense and just enough offense. But I don't think it was necessarily constructed that way. One game -- and just one "official" week of practice -- does not a season make, but if there are too many like last night, it's might be another long season.

The NBC Sports Network crew, especially Pierre Maguire, loved Kevin Nugent and Bryan Rust by the way. listening to their commentary about Bryan I'm led to believe a great deal is expected of him this season, and if he has that kind of a breakout year it won't be a surprise to the Notre Dame coaching staff. Maguire was absolutely giddy about Nugent's shifts in the first period.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        What became a worrisome trend last year at times was evident last night, the inability to put the puck in the net regardless of how they dominated game flow. Too many shots off target, too many shots blocked, too many low percentage shots right into Sullivan's chest protector. For half a season we saw that the team did not need to rely on getting one ugly goal a game to win. This team has the skilled players to score goals. It might sound a bit impatient, but hopefully it shows up quickly, and sticks around for a full season.

It's especially frustrating considering how well they played the game defensively. Summerhays looked better than solid, the team forced turnovers and backchecked very well, and they held what was one of last season's better offensive teams off the scoreboard. Much like their classmates a few hundred yards to the north, maybe this team will win with great defense and just enough offense. But I don't think it was necessarily constructed that way. One game -- and just one "official" week of practice -- does not a season make, but if there are too many like last night, it's might be another long season.

The NBC Sports Network crew, especially Pierre Maguire, loved Kevin Nugent and Bryan Rust by the way. listening to their commentary about Bryan I'm led to believe a great deal is expected of him this season, and if he has that kind of a breakout year it won't be a surprise to the Notre Dame coaching staff. Maguire was absolutely giddy about Nugent's shifts in the first period.
        They just need to find a way to gel together. I think Jackson is still playing with the lines. But if he's going to keep Lee and Tynan apart, i'd definitely keep Tynan and Rust together.

Comment

I know it was the 1st game, but that save made early in the 2nd period may not be topped all season. Should have scored more than one goal, but I'll take winning the season opener against a good squad like Maine.

Comment

Whew. It's a good day to be a Notre Dame fan. Some of the positives to take away from the weekend would include 100% on the PK so far, a goal by Anders Lee, a great showing by Thomas DiPauli, hard work by Peter Schneider and Kevin Nugent (who were favorites of the Maine fan we sat with), shots on net, solid play by Steven Summerhays, mistakes not ending up in the back of the net, a trophy and 2 wins to start the season for the first time since Aniket Dhadphale and Brian Urick were seniors (1998). Let's hope with this line-up, this past weekend means a good start to a special season.

This was definitely well-worth the (little) money I spent.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post
              This team has the skilled players to score goals. It might sound a bit impatient, but hopefully it shows up quickly...
              Well, request granted. Lee and Tynan both get on the scoresheet and a freshman comes up with the game winner. A freshman I might add who was the player I picked to be the one making the most impact (patting myself on the back). DiPauli played pretty well throughout the weekend.

Summerhays has not only earned the number 1 spot, he's played extremely well. 50 saves and 3 GA versus two pretty sound offensive teams, and this coming off a great finish last season. Overall the Irish looked sound this weekend, especially considering the lack of practice and the newness of the season. I saw a lot of good this weekend and nothing glaringly bad.

Notre Dame's non-conference schedule looks pretty daunting. On top of the two teams we just saw we get North Dakota, Duluth, Minnesota again, and the fairly regular tilt against BC. All but one of the non-conference teams we play or have played made the NCAAs last season, and are regular participants in post season play. I'm curious as to the makeup of other team's non conference schedules. If the weakest opponent others play is a decent WCHA team (UNO), I'd be surprised. Jeff Jackson, Tom Nevala and Jack Swarbrick are to be commended for both putting together an interesting schedule and not shying away from a challenge.

Comment

So, the most important question is what is the best place to drink this weekend?
                tUMD

Comment

Will the series with UMD be broadcast through the Notre Dame website....or elsewhere? When I checked the Notre Dame website under live events it looked like it would be but then on the rolling schedule on the bottom of the hockey homepage it only showed a radio broadcast?

Comment

Originally posted by beersong View Post
                    So, the most important question is what is the best place to drink this weekend?
                    Fiddler's Hearth downtown (about a mile from campus). Great atmosphere. Gold-star Guinness. Good food. Reasonable prices.

Originally posted by CDOUG
                    Will the series with UMD be broadcast through the Notre Dame website....or elsewhere? When I checked the Notre Dame website under live events it looked like it would be but then on the rolling schedule on the bottom of the hockey homepage it only showed a radio broadcast?
                    ND streams all their home games (except those on t.v.) for free on und.com. You likely will have to wait til game time to get access to it.

Comment

Yay for Steven Summerhays! CCHA GOTW and INCH POTW.

Also, the CFIA's b-day is tomorrow. Wasn't it nice of the team to bring a gift back from KC?
                      *****https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5LhvBRCUAAff7U.jpg******
                      Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I realize it's early in the season and there is no NHL...yet, but where is everyone? Are we not excited about the start, the team, the season? Do we not want to discuss Mario Lucia's progress, Steven Summerhays' play or the killer OOC schedule? This past weekend I talked nothing but college hockey with a particular Maine fan and thoroughly enjoyed it (while in the process learning some serious dirt about some future HE leaguemates ).

At least typing to myself doesn't appear as crazy as talking to myself...

Even though the students are on break, the band will be in attendance at the games (yay!) and I believe the games are even nearly sold out. Not bad for a Thursday-Friday series.

While UMD split last weekend, they scare the bejeezus out of me. Well, more specifically, their special teams, Mike Seidel and Austin Farley scare me. Seidel is in his senior year and already has 3G and an A in 2 games. His 3 goals were all PPG's. Freshman Farley also has 4 points in the early going, all 4 coming on the PP. So far, the Bulldogs have scored 5 PPG's on 14 chances. That's better than 35% on the PP. {cue bloodcurdling scream} I know it's too early to think that stat will remain that high and maybe it was their opponent's porous defense on the PK, but I distinctly remember a game in St. Paul a year and a half ago that was lost solely because of UMD's PP and our porous defense on the PK. UMD's PK in their 2 games has been quite solid at better than 92%.

Aaron Crandall should be in net for UMD. His numbers in their win were quite good with a save % of .926, while his numbers in their loss were much less impressive, including a save % of .857. Overall so far, he's got a GA of 2.52 and a save % of .896.

And while ND won both games last weekend, they did so without the benefit of a PPG. Maybe that's a good thing because they don't need the advantage of a man-up to score. Maybe that's a bad thing because they don't capitalize on all opportunities. Either way, they have gone 0-fer 7 chances on the PP. The flip side is they have killed off all 8 penalties, some of those against a notoriously powerful PP team (Maine). Lee, Tynan and Schneider all have 2 points so far. Summerhays has Jordan Pearce-like numbers so far with a save % of .962 and a GA of 1. If you counted the exhibition game (he played about 34 minutes of that game), his GA would be 0.77. However, in reality, those numbers are bound to change. Right?

TR once said, "Believe you can and you are halfway there."
                        Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

smiley. heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                            I realize it's early in the season and there is no NHL...yet, but where is everyone? Are we not excited about the start, the team, the season? Do we not want to discuss Mario Lucia's progress, Steven Summerhays' play or the killer OOC schedule? This past weekend I talked nothing but college hockey with a particular Maine fan and thoroughly enjoyed it (while in the process learning some serious dirt about some future HE leaguemates ).

At least typing to myself doesn't appear as crazy as talking to myself...

Even though the students are on break, the band will be in attendance at the games (yay!) and I believe the games are even nearly sold out. Not bad for a Thursday-Friday series.

While UMD split last weekend, they scare the bejeezus out of me. Well, more specifically, their special teams, Mike Seidel and Austin Farley scare me. Seidel is in his senior year and already has 3G and an A in 2 games. His 3 goals were all PPG's. Freshman Farley also has 4 points in the early going, all 4 coming on the PP. So far, the Bulldogs have scored 5 PPG's on 14 chances. That's better than 35% on the PP. {cue bloodcurdling scream} I know it's too early to think that stat will remain that high and maybe it was their opponent's porous defense on the PK, but I distinctly remember a game in St. Paul a year and a half ago that was lost solely because of UMD's PP and our porous defense on the PK. UMD's PK in their 2 games has been quite solid at better than 92%.

Aaron Crandall should be in net for UMD. His numbers in their win were quite good with a save % of .926, while his numbers in their loss were much less impressive, including a save % of .857. Overall so far, he's got a GA of 2.52 and a save % of .896.

And while ND won both games last weekend, they did so without the benefit of a PPG. Maybe that's a good thing because they don't need the advantage of a man-up to score. Maybe that's a bad thing because they don't capitalize on all opportunities. Either way, they have gone 0-fer 7 chances on the PP. The flip side is they have killed off all 8 penalties, some of those against a notoriously powerful PP team (Maine). Lee, Tynan and Schneider all have 2 points so far. Summerhays has Jordan Pearce-like numbers so far with a save % of .962 and a GA of 1. If you counted the exhibition game (he played about 34 minutes of that game), his GA would be 0.77. However, in reality, those numbers are bound to change. Right?

TR once said, "Believe you can and you are halfway there."
                            I'm here. I think everyone is just football crazy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
                              I'm here.
                              Looks like it's you and me, kid...

Originally posted by NotreDameFan22
                              I think everyone is just football crazy right now.
                              Gasp!

Comment

Well that just blew. At least we scored a PPG. Other than that...

Our blue line stunk, save for the hit Shayne Taker threw late in the 3rd. Stephen Johns started the game well, but after Kevin Lind was shown the gate, it seems that Johns' decision-making ability followed Lind to the showers. And what is up with our Dmen going down low? I mean behind-the-goal-line-low. Taker is about the only one I don't cringe at doing that because he has quite a bit of offensive skill.

Steven Summerhays played well with the exception of the 3rd goal. That was kinda soft. However, he did not get help out there. It seemed as if the 5 guys in front of him forgot there's a puck on the ice. No communication. Crappy passes. Dangerous drops.

And I hate to beat a dead horse from last season, but w.t.f. is up with having the 4th line out there on the PP?! Or worse yet, in the waning minutes of a game where we do not have the lead?

And I hate to beat the dead horse's colt from last season, but w.t.f. is up with waiting until more than half the game had passed before getting into double digits in shots on net?

So Andy Ryan will dress in place of the DQ'ed Lind. Who will dress in place of the players who passed up a chance at a shot, dropped the puck back to a guy in maroon or took a stupid penalty to negate a PP?

Get in sync boys. I want a win tomorrow night.

Comment

Working...
                                X