Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    yeah, it's obvious from this post that YOU'RE not an unbiased observer. I don't comment on officiating when Notre Dame loses. How about just be happy with the win, the fact that our team is the only one that streams all home games for free so you can see your team screwed egregiously even in a win and that strikes and lockouts don't happen at this level.
    I'm sorry, where was it again where I said I was unbiased? I have seen UND screwed by this same call many times before so I know how it feels... my only point is that there is a good reason why refs blow the whistle when the puck is no longer visible. Lee was the only person who knew it was loose and he didn't notice and bury it until after the whistle blew. Like I said, bad calls were made both ways... the reason I posted was not to gloat but to actually hear your feelings on the call. I don't fault you for being a bit uptight before the big USC game.

I just saw that Jeff Jackson said he was able to see it was loose from the bench... so Lee and JJ were the only ones to see it was not covered up.
    Last edited by willythekid; 11-24-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

You can make your own judgement on the non-goal. Starts about 0:42.

Comment

Thanks for posting the highlights. As a Sioux fan, I appreciate it.... and the free web casts. The Irish were clearly screwed on the no-goal call. In defense of the ref, from his vantage point he probably couldn't see the puck sitting between the pads and blew the whistle. A tough break for sure but I don't think you can blame the ref for what he couldn't see as Jackson did.
        Hockey is Life

Comment

Originally posted by Facewash View Post
          Thanks for posting the highlights. As a Sioux fan, I appreciate it.... and the free web casts. The Irish were clearly screwed on the no-goal call. In defense of the ref, from his vantage point he probably couldn't see the puck sitting between the pads and blew the whistle. A tough break for sure but I don't think you can blame the ref for what he couldn't see as Jackson did.
          If the ref really couldn't see it, then that's how the rule is supposed to be applied. And given the black pads on Saunders, I can't blame him too much, though the puck never stopped moving. Did seem like a quick whistle nonetheless, and right call or not, it screwed the Irish out of what should have been the GTG. Saunders and some poor power play movement did the Irish in last night though.

I was impressed by the crowd, wonder what it'll be like tonight with the ND-USC game on right afer.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Facewash View Post
            Agreed. After seeing the replay, it reminded me of a similar situation a few years ago at the Ralph. I forget who the opponent was, but North Dakota let a slapper go from around the blue line, nobody else in the zone, and it trickles through the goalie and into the net. The ref assumed that the goalie caught the puck and blew the whistle while the puck was rolling into the net. It certainly sucks to happen, especially in a big non-conference game where the goal would have tied the game late in the third period.

Hopefully, the refs are better tonight and some great hockey is played.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Bad luck for ND in this case. Should have tied the game at 2. Same thing happened to Michigan in OT vs. Miami in the NCAA's in 2010. If the ref was in proper position and blew the whistle as he could not see the puck, what can you do? Chalk it up to bad break for ND. These things tend to even out as we've seen ND get some good goal reviews in the past.

Comment

As I posted earlier, I generally refrain from commenting on the officiating in a Notre Dame loss. Many fans are too biased for a reasonable discussion, and it usually devolves into a whizzing match between the fans whose teams benefited from a disputed call and those from the team that did not. Especially the way this particular forum has evolved over the last few years.

I will say this in reference to the call though: The referees in recent season have been instructed to let plays develop and play out, and not be so quick to blow the whistle, since anything that happens after a whistle can not be counted, no matter what. Michigan was probably robbed of a Frozen Four berth in the NCAA season that Notre Dame hosted in Fort Wayne because of a whistle blown quicker than the play warranted. This is the way the referees have been encouraged to act in football as well. My guess is this is an issue that the league office will address with Sergott after the weekend.

Comment

Did the call blow? Yes. Does this happen to most teams throughout the season? Yes. Like alnike said, it will all even out. And let's face it, as Anders Lee said, the team had plenty of opportunities that they did not capitalize on. My DVR gets a workout from October to March and I watch a LOT of college hockey throughout the season and I see blown calls, major penalties that shouldn't even be penalties, missed goals, missed offsides that lead to goals and everything in between while watching 2 teams I don't give a rat's behind about. Refs blow both ways in all leagues.

In the end, I likely would be much more irate about the blown GTG if...if...my team would actually make home ice a less friendly place to play for the opposing team. And I don't remember blown calls in the UMD or WMU games...

That said, Keith, keep your eye on the puck.
                  "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                    Did the call blow? Yes. Does this happen to most teams throughout the season? Yes. Like alnike said, it will all even out. And let's face it, as Anders Lee said, the team had plenty of opportunities that they did not capitalize on. My DVR gets a workout from October to March and I watch a LOT of college hockey throughout the season and I see blown calls, major penalties that shouldn't even be penalties, missed goals, missed offsides that lead to goals and everything in between while watching 2 teams I don't give a rat's behind about. Refs blow both ways in all leagues.

In the end, I likely would be much more irate about the blown GTG if...if...my team would actually make home ice a less friendly place to play for the opposing team. And I don't remember blown calls in the UMD or WMU games...

That said, Keith, keep your eye on the puck.

It evened itself out last night...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                      It evened itself out last night...
                      That was also the game where Notre Dame scored the GTG by running over Aaron Dell. Unsurprisingly Todd Anderson was a ref in that game.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                        And let's face it, as Anders Lee said, the team had plenty of opportunities that they did not capitalize on.
                        This.

The only thing Notre Dame can do is capitalize on the majority of their best chances. We have spent the better part of three series opening games at the CFIA NOT doing this. To me it had the feeling of a loss as soon as all 4 penalty killers got lost on the NoDak power play goal. Few teams will come back from down 0-2. This team is surely not one of them. We fail to take advantage when advantage is there for the taking. After scoring to cut the lead in half we still had 4 more power play chances and failed to score (one that counted anyway). In fact after the waive-off there was still plenty of time left in that power play. How many net mouth scrambles were there when we should have buried a goal? I counted at least 4. Our second PP unit is still totally inept. We still don't attack to the extent a team with as much offensive talent as this one has should be doing, shot differential last night notwithstanding (and somewhat deceiving). And we still have zero home ice advantage. Since opening the facility 5-0 last season we are only 9 up and 10 down.

It was nice to see the student section full though. Maybe the students should be on break more often.

Comment

Here come the negative nellies. It's a game, enjoy it. They're doing well so far for the season. They are concluding a brutal stretch of games. They're going to lose some.

Comment

I am enjoying the games. Anytime I am at a rink watching my team (really, any team), I'm having fun.

However, losing more games than you win at home is unacceptable. It's not good hockey. The adage is to split on the road, sweep at home. Why does this team sweep on the road, but come home and lose? What is it about this rink that makes winning so hard? Is it having to attend class the day of a game? Is it the lack of student support (especially compared to many, many other college hockey rinks)? Is it the typical ND fans who give the golf clap as a show of approval? Is it the size of the ice surface? Is it the player lounge? The hot tub? Was the place built on an old Indian burial ground? What?!

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Thank you Captain Lee for answering my calling out. 9 points to go. And man do I like the spunk of Steven Summerhays. I also like the fact that he was PO'ed after that 2nd (weak-ish) goal.

But, I gotta ask, what was/is up with our defense though?

Comment

an oldie but a goodie...

in·con·sis·tent (in′kən sis′tənt)

adjective
                                not consistent;
                                specif.,

1. not in agreement, harmony, or accord; incompatible: acts inconsistent with belief
                                2. not uniform; self-contradictory: inconsistent testimony
                                3. not always holding to the same principles or practice; changeable
                                4. not regular or predictable; erratic: the 2012/2013 Notre Dame Hockey team

Related Forms:

inconsistently in′·con·sis′·tently adverb

This is a weird team. Are there other teams that display such a stark difference from road to home, or from one night to the next?

It's too bad the NCAAs aren't two game-total goal series or best of threes all the way through. If they were, I'd have my hotels in Pittsburgh booked already.

Comment

Working...
                                X